Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Battle of "number three" US cities: Chicago, SF, DC, Houston or Boston?
Chicago 79 51.97%
SF 18 11.84%
Houston 18 11.84%
Boston 12 7.89%
DC 25 16.45%
Voters: 152. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2009, 04:52 PM

765 posts, read 1,851,867 times

Advertisements

[quote=Osito57;10686345]That's ridiculous!

Who would think Chicago is in second place??

Now sixth, I could see, but second? Give me a break! It's half the size of LA, and a fraction the importance of DC.[/quote

Just what exactly makes LA more important than Chicago? It's got a huge industrial base...but so does Chicago. It's got a major international port...but Chicago's the trucking and freight capital of the US. LA has entertainment and cultural influence...Chicago has its powerful financial sector. To me, it all balances out.

Los Angeles is known for smog far more than Chicago. Remember that whole suburban thing? Los Angeles has a higher proportion of registered cars for its size than Chicago. LA's mass transit system has far less ridership than CTA & Metra. LA is the city encouraging people to drive, not Chi-town.

Old 09-10-2009, 05:11 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,003,227 times
None of the above - Dallas -- 4th largest metro -- 6.5 million.

Old 09-10-2009, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
None of the above - Dallas -- 4th largest metro -- 6.5 million.
You think Dallas should be 3rd?

Old 09-10-2009, 06:23 PM

398 posts, read 1,035,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Libohove90 View Post

Just what exactly makes LA more important than Chicago?
For one, LA is twice the size of Chicago.

For another, LA is known globally, and Chicago isn't.
Quote:
It's got a huge industrial base...but so does Chicago.
But LA has BY FAR the largest manufacturing base in the U.S.
Quote:
It's got a major international port...but Chicago's the trucking and freight capital of the US.
Nobody cares that Chicago has lots of trucks passing through its suburbs. It's the center of the Rust Belt, with lots of smoky, declining industries requiring shipping.
Quote:
LA has entertainment and cultural influence...Chicago has its powerful financial sector.
Chicago has a tiny financial sector. It's known for one middling exchange, which will likely soon leave.

I doubt there are even 2,000 employees working at the exchange. And Chcago has no investment banking to speak of.

Heck, I bet you there are more private equity firms in LA than in Chicago.

LA is the largest entertainment center on earth. It probably has a half million people working in entertainment industries.
Quote:
To me, it all balances out.
LOL!
Quote:
Los Angeles is known for smog far more than Chicago.
Because it's surrounded by beautiful mountains. Chicago is surrounded by corn and large, unattractive people.

Chicago is much more polluted, however. Only Phoenix is more polluted than Chicago.
Quote:
Remember that whole suburban thing?
Yes, we know, we are talking about the Midwest here. Suburbia central.

This is why LA has FAR more multifamily units than Chicago.

Source:

United States - Housing - Physical Characteristics - American FactFinder=

Chicago is the capital of the single family home. Its one-floor suburban bungalows dominate.
Quote:
Los Angeles has a higher proportion of registered cars for its size than Chicago.
Source?
Chicago has a higher proportion of residents with vehicles, yet is a much poorer city, meaning people are forced to drive, even if they're flat broke.
Quote:
LA's mass transit system has far less ridership than CTA & Metra.
Source?
LA's bus system has FAR more passengers. Check out the APTA numbers.

Neither city has high rail ridership.
Quote:
LA is the city encouraging people to drive, not Chi-town.
LOL, this is why LA has modern transit lines, and Chicago transit lines are rusted and falling down.

Old 09-10-2009, 06:57 PM

116 posts, read 244,327 times
^

Why are you so obsessed with Chicago.

Old 09-10-2009, 06:59 PM

398 posts, read 1,035,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yoyobubba View Post
^

Why are you so obsessed with Chicago.
Hardly. I want to set the record straight on these forums!

All these homers with their lies! I source everything, and they know it!

Old 09-10-2009, 07:07 PM

787 posts, read 1,689,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osito57 View Post

If that's your goal, you won't accomplish it by coming off as a shrill hater with a strong penchant for generalizations and exaggeration,

Your obsession proves the intrigue of Chicago. If it was that non-worthy of notice, why would you spend so much time bashing it? It's like hate for Chicago fuels your day

Old 09-10-2009, 07:12 PM

Quote:
For one, LA is twice the size of Chicago.

For another, LA is known globally, and Chicago isn't.

But LA has BY FAR the largest manufacturing base in the U.S.

Nobody cares that Chicago has lots of trucks passing through its suburbs. It's the center of the Rust Belt, with lots of smoky, declining industries requiring shipping.

Chicago has a tiny financial sector. It's known for one middling exchange, which will likely soon leave.

I doubt there are even 2,000 employees working at the exchange. And Chcago has no investment banking to speak of.

Heck, I bet you there are more private equity firms in LA than in Chicago.

LA is the largest entertainment center on earth. It probably has a half million people working in entertainment industries.

LOL!

Because it's surrounded by beautiful mountains. Chicago is surrounded by corn and large, unattractive people.

Chicago is much more polluted, however. Only Phoenix is more polluted than Chicago.

Yes, we know, we are talking about the Midwest here. Suburbia central.

This is why LA has FAR more multifamily units than Chicago.

Source:

United States - Housing - Physical Characteristics - American FactFinder=

Chicago is the capital of the single family home. Its one-floor suburban bungalows dominate.

Source?
Chicago has a higher proportion of residents with vehicles, yet is a much poorer city, meaning people are forced to drive, even if they're flat broke.

Source?
LA's bus system has FAR more passengers. Check out the APTA numbers.

Neither city has high rail ridership.

LOL, this is why LA has modern transit lines, and Chicago transit lines are rusted and falling down.
So much for rusted and falling down, Chicago's CTA is the 2nd most extensive transportation system in the US LOL. Ridership? According to the transit agencies' sites, theres 1.7 million trips on the CTA and another 300,000 on the Metra. That's 2 million trips daily...again ranks 2nd in US and 4th in North America. Los Angeles ranks behind Philadelphia's and Boston's tranist systems lol. The facts are very easy to find. ANY site will tell you.

Los Angeles has the most extensive freeway system in the world. A simple look at a map justifies this. Not only that, Los Angeles has wider highways too....you know, West Coast style.

As fars as car goes, Los Angeles is notoriously known for its traffic and heavy usage of cars.

Majority of Private Car Sellers Put Funds Toward The Purchase of Another Vehicle

^article calls Los Angeles "the city of the automobile" LOL.

Not only that but even a simple encylopedia states "Los Angeles has 27 intertwining freeways handling millions of commuters on a daily basis. Los Angeles is the most car-populated metropolis in the world with one registered automobile for every 1.8 people."

So much for suburbia? Eh?

Chicago highways are less extensive and have less lanes than those highways in Southern California...and Los Angeles has worse traffic than Chicago? L-O-L...the facts contradict your erroneous statements. It is well known among the people of city-data, those dumber than you and those smarter than you, that Los Angeles is the ultimate car city.

Old 09-10-2009, 07:15 PM

Chicago has a tiny office sector? Proof?

Chicagoland has 230 million square feet of office and Downtown Chicago IS the 2nd largest business district in the country. Los Angeles has a smaller and far less significant office sector than Chicago.

Oh yeah, did you know there are more Fortune 500 companies headquartered in Chicago than LA? Not a surprising fact either.

Los Angeles doesn't have ANY powerful financial institutions btw...it doesn't even have many Fortune 500 companies headquartered there...so it in this category, LA stands no chance against Chicago.

Old 09-10-2009, 07:54 PM

116 posts, read 244,327 times
Quote:

It sounds like you've never even been to Chicago though. Anyone well travelled knows it is the 2nd biggest transit system in the country. And anyone who has been to Chicago lately knows that most of the CTA stations are brand new. The things you keep saying, it's like you've never even been there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City