Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Detroit, MI vs. Little Rock, AR?
Detroit, MI 25 55.56%
Little Rock, AR 20 44.44%
Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2009, 11:24 AM

1,247 posts, read 3,861,713 times

Advertisements

100% Agreed with post #9. That's why I voted Detroit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2009, 11:39 AM

6,485 posts, read 12,531,247 times
I hardly view Little Rock as one of the worst cities in which to live in the country. That said, what a lot of folks who've never been to Detroit don't realize is that while the city itself has suffered a lot of decay, her suburbs are very affluent. Plus, you have Windsor, Ontario, right across the river. You're an easy drive to either Chicago or Toronto.

I'll admit, though, that right now Arkansas' economic outlook looks better than Michigan's.

Old 05-26-2009, 11:47 AM

3,326 posts, read 8,858,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Toast View Post

Little Rock probably has more ammenities than Chris realizes; I don't care about yuppie/hipster culture.
No, actually it doesn't.

Anyway, Detroit might be one of the most undesirable places, but I doubt that Little Rock belongs at #2, even though I could never live there again.

I still voted for Detroit though, if only because the weather is more tolerable. People who think Little Rock's weather is nice has either never been there, has never been anywhere else, or just has a terrible time with a little bit of cold.

Old 05-26-2009, 12:03 PM

8,900 posts, read 15,929,225 times
As much of a run-down city Detroit is, I'm sure there are a few decent parts. I would fit in more in Detroit than the south in Little Rock.

Old 05-26-2009, 12:06 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,281,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northbound74 View Post
No, actually it doesn't.

Anyway, Detroit might be one of the most undesirable places, but I doubt that Little Rock belongs at #2, even though I could never live there again.

I still voted for Detroit though, if only because the weather is more tolerable. People who think Little Rock's weather is nice has either never been there, has never been anywhere else, or just has a terrible time with a little bit of cold.
I don't know, it did garner these positive words:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
Most of the time when people complain about having "nothing to do", unless you are young and living in a retirement town, or are in a town with one stoplight, its usually more of a problem with the person than with the place.
As a teen growing up in OKC, most of the teens either went to movies or went to the mall just like in Little Rock. Bricktown and the River Market both cater to the 21 and up crowd. In my opinion, teenage years can be fun or boring no matter where you live.

I probably left out earlier that Little Rock has come a long ways from where it was just a few years ago...but its only half-way through the process. Other posters are right that most visitors to Little Rock are impressed after visiting. Little Rock needs to somehow show America that it isn't the dump that its perceived as being. Once Little Rock gains a better national perception, more businesses, services, and amenities might consider locating in the city.

One thing that might help is beautification of the city along the interstates. Many probably come through LR on I-30, which skirts the sprawl of southwest LR for probably 15 miles before turning towards downtown. For the most part its just downright ugly. If this is all people see of LR, its no wonder they think its the armpit of America.
Interesting

Old 05-26-2009, 12:29 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,247,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Toast View Post
I don't know, it did garner these positive words:

Interesting
You can tolerate somewhere less desirable if you have a good job, are making money, and advancing your career. That's what I was doing in 2008. I forced myself to like Little Rock even though it was never really my cup of tea. Today, I've since lost my job and am working a crappy job that pays about half what my old one did. The local economy here has fallen completely off a cliff. Any progress that had been made here has since went backward because of this recession. That is where I made my comparison to Detroit.

Old 05-26-2009, 12:44 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,281,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
You can tolerate somewhere less desirable if you have a good job, are making money, and advancing your career. That's what I was doing in 2008. I forced myself to like Little Rock even though it was never really my cup of tea. Today, I've since lost my job and am working a crappy job that pays about half what my old one did. The local economy here has fallen completely off a cliff.
Sounds like a you problem, not a Little Rock problem.

Back on topic, Detroit is a sprawled mess. It is depressing in the winter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City