U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
View Poll Results: Best Skyline!
Houston 144 36.27%
Philadelphia 253 63.73%
Voters: 397. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2010, 02:55 PM

19,206 posts, read 16,300,066 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
Spires don't impress me much & do very little in adding height to a building IMO. Until Philly gets the American Commerce Center then we'll talk...

Diagrams - SkyscraperPage.com

Well I do believe the tallest building in Philly (without a spire) is only 32 feet shorter than the tallest in Houston

But yes i agree the ACC would be significantly taller than any in Houston (I should stress would)

Old 04-26-2010, 02:57 PM

8,968 posts, read 8,542,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
I think Philly has a good combination of height and density - guess the populace in the poll is wrong
Philly's skyline is more consistent (doesn't taper off quickly like Houston's), but Houston's skyline is no doubt taller than Philly's. That's a fact. Now, everyone has their own opinion on what skyline looks better to them. I like how you said "populace in the poll is wrong". Like this poll, on City-Data, is some kind of scientific study.

Old 04-26-2010, 02:57 PM

299 posts, read 529,901 times
Philly easily wins here. Houston looks good on paper, but in real life the skyline isn't all the great IMO. Whereas Philly doesn't look nearly as good on paper, but it's skyline in real life is much more impressive.

Old 04-26-2010, 02:59 PM

8,968 posts, read 8,542,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkhyperchaos View Post
Philly easily wins here. Houston looks good on paper, but in real life the skyline isn't all the great IMO. Whereas Philly doesn't look nearly as good on paper, but it's skyline in real life is much more impressive.
On paper? Houston's skyline on paper definitely does not look as good as it does in person. Driving west on I-10 into Downtown Houston is breathtaking. The skyline pops out of nowhere.

Old 04-26-2010, 03:03 PM

12,420 posts, read 13,574,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarface713 View Post
On paper? Houston's skyline on paper definitely does not look as good as it does in person. Driving west on I-10 into Downtown Houston is breathtaking. The skyline pops out of nowhere.
Or north on 288 where all of Houston's 3 major skylines merge together.

Old 04-26-2010, 03:07 PM

19,206 posts, read 16,300,066 times
Quote:
Philly's skyline is more consistent (doesn't taper off quickly like Houston's), but Houston's skyline is no doubt taller than Philly's. That's a fact. Now, everyone has their own opinion on what skyline looks better to them. I like how you said "populace in the poll is wrong". Like this poll, on City-Data, is some kind of scientific study.

Agree on the lack of scientific data - I think they are all on preferance - i like Philly, and many others

example at night the view of LA from sunset strip can be breath taking

Atlanta, Houston and Dallas demonstrate their height in a more prounonced way due to a lack of or lessor density which is very cool in it's own right - in many ways you can argue the height is not diminished by density and can be very profound

My personal favorite Chicago does both density and height very well; in my opinion even better NYC which from a pure desnity perspective is unmatched

All are very cool - I love skylines in general

Old 04-26-2010, 03:08 PM

15,831 posts, read 19,706,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkhyperchaos View Post
Houston's skyline is much better in person!

about 1:25 is my favorite view:

YouTube - Houston Texas Skyline Views

Old 04-26-2010, 03:10 PM

Quote:
I'm saying if you look at Houston's skyline on paper, you'll see it has one of the largest skylines in the US. Houston's height and size kills Philly on paper, but in real life, Philly's skyline is much more impressive.

Old 04-26-2010, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
Houston's skyline is much better in person!

about 1:25 is my favorite view:

YouTube - Houston Texas Skyline Views
If that video was supposed to impressive me, it didn't. I did see its impressive size occasionally, but overall that video really didn't impressive me. Philly has much better architecture IMO. And I also think Philly's skyline is planned better than Houston's and that it flows better.

Old 04-26-2010, 03:15 PM

101 posts, read 198,819 times
Smile Houstons skyline was ranked 11th in the world by Emporis.

i think philly was like number 40
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City