U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
View Poll Results: NY/NJ vs FL
NY/NJ 47 58.02%
FL 34 41.98%
Voters: 81. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2009, 03:29 PM

13,339 posts, read 13,523,928 times

Advertisements

I think all the pics I showed, and the history of Florida is pretty amazing considering NY has been around ALOT longer, and considering Florida is technically a newer state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2009, 03:48 PM

5,643 posts, read 4,238,974 times
Where are the MOUNTAINS in Florida?

Old 05-27-2009, 04:13 PM

8,489 posts, read 11,372,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TANaples View Post
Where are the MOUNTAINS in Florida?
Way to change the subject when you are proven wrong.

Old 05-27-2009, 04:18 PM

Default I am NOT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Peterson View Post
Way to change the subject when you are proven wrong.
The NE, not JUST NY, has far more history, culture, MONEY, topical geography, than Florida.

Keep trying to drum up business, Mr. Real Estate Agent.

Old 05-27-2009, 04:25 PM

8,904 posts, read 6,785,529 times
Quote:
The NE, not JUST NY, has far more history, culture, MONEY, topical geography, than Florida.

He's only going to drum up business if people on here are looking to buy a trailer in Florida, lol.

Old 05-27-2009, 04:30 PM

4,474 posts, read 5,140,613 times
Default History is not Florida's selling point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
I think all the pics I showed, and the history of Florida is pretty amazing considering NY has been around ALOT longer, and considering Florida is technically a newer state.
Actually with the exception of St Augustine (Spanish garrison city during the colonial era) and to a lesser extent Northern Florida --- most of Florida has LESS history than almost all other states east of the Mississippi. History is not Florida's strong point and large parts of central and southern Florida seem to date only from about 1900 when the railroads came down.

Old 05-27-2009, 04:40 PM

Default I am in South Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
Actually with the exception of St Augustine (Spanish garrison city during the colonial era) and to a lesser extent Northern Florida --- most of Florida has LESS history than almost all other states east of the Mississippi. History is not Florida's strong point and large parts of central and southern Florida seem to date only from about 1900 when the railroads came down.
They tell me the main road (Rte. 41) here in Naples was a DIRT ROAD in the 50s, which was when I was in elementary school in NYC. The apartment building I grew up in in Manhattan was built in 1895 (marble fireplaces, tin ceilings, canopies, doorman, glass and brass all over). That is only a few decades younger than Florida's statehood.

I lived in Smithtown (way out LI) for 20 years. It was founded in 1695. The buildings are still standing from that time period where the Smiths lived and when to church. Even LI has more history than the majority of Florida.

Old 05-27-2009, 04:48 PM

Quote:

Just so you are aware, history did not start when we were colonized. Florida has a history strectching back before NY.

No, Florida does not have as many museums as NY but what is the measure of culture. There are about 162 different deifinitions for it.

NY gross state product was $1.1. trillion in 2007, Florida was $735 Billion. Not as much but clearly not a pauper state.

As far as topical geography. Florida would have NY beat. Being topical geography is the geography of a certain location and Florida is larger than NY.
Just because you don't type the topography of Florida does not mean it does not exist.
Did you even know what topical geography was when you typed that?

In regards to me being a Realtor.

You add that on to most of your posts to me and it just shows your lack of common sense.

How you could possibly get that I am trying to drum up business from that post is beyond me and I am sure beyond anyone with some semblance of intelligence.

Old 05-27-2009, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
He's only going to drum up business if people on here are looking to buy a trailer in Florida, lol.
How original.

You have any independent thoughts or do you just mimick what NYC1Day says?

Old 05-27-2009, 04:55 PM

4,474 posts, read 5,140,613 times
Quote:
They tell me the main road (Rte. 41) here in Naples was a DIRT ROAD in the 50s, which was when I was in elementary school in NYC. The apartment building I grew up in in Manhattan was built in 1895 (marble fireplaces, tin ceilings, canopies, doorman, glass and brass all over). That is only a few decades younger than Florida's statehood.

I lived in Smithtown (way out LI) for 20 years. It was founded in 1695. The buildings are still standing from that time period where the Smiths lived and when to church. Even LI has more history than the majority of Florida.
Well Polo is right and Florida does have some history --- especially Northern Florida which is about as old as the newer parts of the southeast. Except for the area around St Augustine, its just not like colonial Virginia, The Carolinas, Louisana, Georgia or even parts of Kentucky.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City