U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
View Poll Results: NY/NJ vs FL
NY/NJ 47 58.02%
FL 34 41.98%
Voters: 81. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2009, 12:16 PM

5,973 posts, read 3,673,950 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
Because neither one of you have a clue as to what you are talking about, that's why.

Both of you have an absolute blind hatred of Florida, and it shows.

As far as instigating nonsense goes, I could NEVER replace you in that position. You are the forum Queen of that particular category.
What a horrible accusation. I have lived in Orlando and Rachel's mother lives in Naples, I think our opinion would be valid since we have actually been there. BTW, if you think Orlando Florida is so great then why dont you live there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2009, 12:28 PM

2,414 posts, read 3,301,423 times
As someone who also lives, and shops in Florida, to say locally grown produce is not sold here IS a LIE. And to use such a dumb argument just to find another way to bash Florida because you are miserable is ridiculous.

Old 06-16-2009, 12:29 PM

7,732 posts, read 7,399,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DailyJournalist View Post
What a horrible accusation. I have lived in Orlando and Rachel's mother lives in Naples, I think our opinion would be valid since we have actually been there. BTW, if you think Orlando Florida is so great then why dont you live there?
And I stand by the accusation. Anyone that claims none of the produce found in a Publix store is from Florida is flat out lying. There, happy now?

I spent approximately half my life in Florida, thank you. I came here for a job transfer and happen to like it, if it's any of your business.

I still have friends in Orlando and visit occasionally.

I also shop Publix here in Metro Atlanta. Virtually ALL of the produce is from Florida - just like it is in Puplix stores down there.

Old 06-16-2009, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
I came here for a job transfer and happen to like it, if it's any of your business.
I don't doubt that, Atlanta is a much better city than Orlando with much more opportunities.

Old 06-16-2009, 12:35 PM

2,414 posts, read 3,301,423 times
Quote:
I don't doubt that, Atlanta is a much better city than Orlando with much more opportunities.
I take it you don't think there are any jobs in FL. Many jobs get transfered to Florida because we are not a union state.

Old 06-16-2009, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TB Fla View Post
I take it you don't think there are any jobs in FL. Many jobs get transfered to Florida because we are not a union state.
Maybe low-wage call center jobs

No Respite For Tampa - Forbes.com

Old 06-16-2009, 01:30 PM

4,086 posts, read 5,100,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
lol I wouldn't lie about what I saw. This is such a childish thing to assume.
Why not? Wouldn't be the first time

Old 06-16-2009, 01:31 PM

Quote:
I have lived in West Palm Beach and I have friends still living in West Palm Beach, Orlando, Tampa, Naples, and Miami. I think our opinion would be valid since we have actually been there. BTW, if Rachel's mother thinks Naples is so horrible, why does she live there still???

Old 06-16-2009, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Maybe low-wage call center jobs

No Respite For Tampa - Forbes.com
It's true that the job market in Florida isn't as good as the NY/NJ area, but then again, with their much lower cost of living, it doesn't need to be.

I used to do training for a call center in Tampa. Most of the people working there were younger people, a few middle-aged/older people. I knew what they all made and it was not much per hour - it was between $11/hr and $16/hr, roughly. Yet, these people had nice apartments with pools and workout rooms which they paid (at that time) roughly $500 a month for, as opposed to NJ where a crappy one-bedroom upstairs of a 2-family house would cost double that, and no pool or workout room, just grouchy downstairs neighbors.

Some people I worked with owned homes, even on that salary. Modest homes, but nice little ones, with small yards and palm trees. Homes that cost them around $100-150K but in NJ would have run $300K bare minimum. This is going back about 4, 5 years but even then it wasn't outrageous like it was here.

Old 06-16-2009, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BergenCountyJohnny View Post
It's true that the job market in Florida isn't as good as the NY/NJ area, but then again, with their much lower cost of living, it doesn't need to be.

I used to do training for a call center in Tampa. Most of the people working there were younger people, a few middle-aged/older people. I knew what they all made and it was not much per hour - it was between $11/hr and $16/hr, roughly. Yet, these people had nice apartments with pools and workout rooms which they paid (at that time) roughly $500 a month for, as opposed to NJ where a crappy one-bedroom upstairs of a 2-family house would cost double that, and no pool or workout room, just grouchy downstairs neighbors.

Some people I worked with owned homes, even on that salary. Modest homes, but nice little ones, with small yards and palm trees. Homes that cost them around $100-150K but in NJ would have run $300K bare minimum. This is going back about 4, 5 years but even then it wasn't outrageous like it was here.
They may have paid $500 for rent in 1994 not in 2009. And those $11 an hour call centers you are talking about, I knew highly educated people with MBA's working those jobs at those wages. The cost of living is not low enough at all to compensate for the low wages and lack of employment opportunities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City