Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: NY/NJ vs FL
NY/NJ 48 57.14%
FL 36 42.86%
Voters: 84. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2009, 12:18 PM

4,085 posts, read 8,784,782 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DailyJournalist View Post
They may have paid $500 for rent in 1994 not in 2009. And those $11 an hour call centers you are talking about, I knew highly educated people with MBA's working those jobs at those wages. The cost of living is not low enough at all to compensate for the low wages and lack of employment opportunities.
Not 1994, but 2004. Yes, there are highly educated MBA's working those jobs. But in NJ they'd be destitute on those salaries whereas in Florida they live reasonably comfortable lives. The cost of living IS low enough to help compensate for the low wages and lack of employment opportunities; maybe not entirely, but greatly. For those who have well-paying jobs it's even better. One of my former co-workers from AT&T moved there and her apartment was in the $500's and was beautiful, and she was able to sock away a lot of money for a home. On top of that she enjoyed living in a hip neighborhood with a lot of young professionals and the great nightlife and beautiful weather and beaches year-round.

I'm not saying it's better than NY/NJ, but it's nowhere near as bad as many of the Florida-bashers are making it out to be. It's actually pretty good down there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2009, 12:33 PM

5,969 posts, read 9,557,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BergenCountyJohnny View Post
her apartment was in the $500's and was beautiful,
I have lived in Orlando and know for a fact that for $500 in 2004 you would be living in the Ghetto.

Old 06-17-2009, 12:41 PM

322 posts, read 800,159 times
Florida is better....better beaches...warmer weather.... hotter girls....

Old 06-17-2009, 02:54 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,927,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 718guy View Post
FLORIDA is boring
NY's not exactly the most fun state either.

Old 06-17-2009, 02:56 PM

Quote:
It's not. I don't get this whole concept of if you think one place is better than the other you have to make up weird reasons to justify it. Some NYers are looking foolish over this one...

The other thing I don't get is why you have to hate someplace just because you like someplace else better. I voted for NJ because it's my home and I like it better than Florida. But, I still love Florida, too.

Florida's beaches blow away any beach in NY and even NJ. Florida has palm trees which are BEAUTIFUL and you won't find that in NY or NJ. Obviously the winters in Florida are wonderful while we're freezing up in NY/NJ. Florida grows a lot of produce that we can't grow up north; not so much the other way around. At my local farm, until the Jersey tomatoes ripen, I'm eating Florida tomatoes. They grow them year-round.

There is so much that Florida has to offer, that's why it's one of the top tourist destinations of any state. There's a reason DisneyWorld is in Orlando and not in Albany. Florida has their own style and food specialties and is world class. Miami is internationally known and sought after by many wealthy celebrities, models, and athletes as a place to live.

So yes, I love my homestate more and could argue why NJ is "better" than Florida, but I'd rather just love both places and not make up stupid reasons to hate Florida that are not even valid.

I feel bad for TBray and the other Floridians and the crap they have to get from overly arrogant NYers.
Nice post.

Old 06-17-2009, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
Actually, the Florida grown vegetables/fruits aren't really available in Florida. My parents have never seen any Florida grown fruits and veggies at any supermarket where they live.

Also, palm trees get boring fast. It's a nice change for a week or so, but they start to look the same after a while. I'll take the trees here that actually change throughout the year.
Sugarcane is native to Florida.

Old 06-17-2009, 03:02 PM

5,643 posts, read 9,655,649 times
Default My husband was out of work

Quote:
I have lived in West Palm Beach and I have friends still living in West Palm Beach, Orlando, Tampa, Naples, and Miami. I think our opinion would be valid since we have actually been there. BTW, if Rachel's mother thinks Naples is so horrible, why does she live there still???
for over a year and a half. He was offered a job in Florida. Ironic, huh? Well, it didn't matter that it was Florida. He would have moved to Alaska for a job. When you are 60 years old, you just wait it out until retirement.

However, my husband had never actually lived in Florida before. I had a very long time ago. I couldn't take the heat, even in North Florida, and left 30+ years ago. I most certainly never wanted to come back, especially to SOUTH Florida.

Retirement. Hibernating until retirement. PS. I just checked the temp. Look at the Heat Index right now. It is still JUNE.

Old 06-17-2009, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LosAngelesNightmare View Post
Florida is better....better beaches...warmer weather.... hotter girls....
I agree with that.

Old 06-17-2009, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TANaples View Post
for over a year and a half. He was offered a job in Florida. Ironic, huh? Well, it didn't matter that it was Florida. He would have moved to Alaska for a job. When you are 60 years old, you just wait it out until retirement.

However, my husband had never actually lived in Florida before. I had a very long time ago. I couldn't take the heat, even in North Florida, and left 30+ years ago. I most certainly never wanted to come back, especially to SOUTH Florida.

Retirement. Hibernating until retirement. PS. I just checked the temp. Look at the Heat Index right now. It is still JUNE.
You live in Southwest Florida, not SOUTH florida. There is a difference.

Old 06-17-2009, 03:11 PM

So most of Florida's fruits come from NJ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City