Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-11-2009, 02:35 PM

2,943 posts, read 5,040,039 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MantaRay View Post
If you didn't mind the Rocky Mountains as a backdrop, you could drive out of the city and go boating at Lake Granby. But then again boating IS an outdoorsy type of activity, so if you like boating then it seems you would have to be an outdoorsy type of person.
LOL as far as boating on Lake Granby is concerned, it's smaller than Lake Mendota in Madison. And no, actually you don't have to be an outdoorsy person to enjoy boating or sailing. We have several marinas along Lake Michigan near Downtown Milwaukee where you could launch your boat, as well as slips along the Milwaukee River where you can pull your boat right up to the bar or restaurant of your choice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MantaRay View Post
There are downtown Denver condos, and upscale places to lounge as well. And even plenty of culture at the 2nd largest performing arts complex in the nation within walking distance of those downtown condos. It's possible for a condo dwelling yuppie to like Denver.
The fact that Denver has the 2nd largest performing arts complex isn't as impressive as it sounds. It simply means that every single theatre in the entire city is located under one roof. Big whoop. Milwaukee has the Broadway Theatre Center (which includes the Milwaukee Chamber Theatre, the Skylight Opera, and the Renaissance Theaterworks), the Marcus Center for the Performing Arts, the Milwaukee Theatre, U.S. Cellualr Arena, the Bradley Center, the Florentine Opera, the Riverside Theatre, the Pabst Theatre, and the Milwaukee Repertory Theater. There are other smaller theatres as well like the Alchemist Theatre, the Modjeska Theatre, and the Miramar Theatre that feature experimental and ameteur performers. However, since all of those venues aren't located under one roof, I guess it's somehow less impressive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2009, 02:49 PM

1,588 posts, read 4,044,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D-town 720 View Post
Hey jacob, go look up the word "fallacy". You obviously dont know what it means if you think it involves disagreeing about a fact.

I have posted a link showing Denver's downtown pop. Nuff said there

The reason Denver's downtown is larger in area then Milwaukee's downtown is because it is more developed. Thats why its Denver is the 10th largest CBD and Milwaukee is the 26th... I don't know why you keep complaining about this.
How did Denver boosters come up with the 10th largest CBD? Are they referring to office space, retail space, population or a combination? Also, where are you finding rankings for U.S. cities because it seems like it would be hard to rank downtown areas if there isn't a set standard?

BTW, according to this site (Downtown Denver Partnership, Inc. | HOME PAGE), Denver's CBD has 10,000 residents. Hometodenver.com states there are 63,000 people living within a 1.5 radius of center city Denver (http://www.hometodenver.com/Stats_Denver.htm).

Last edited by BlackOut; 06-11-2009 at 02:59 PM..

Old 06-11-2009, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Hey jacob, go look up the word "fallacy". You obviously dont know what it means if you think it involves disagreeing about a fact.
fallacy - Definition from the Merriam-Webster Online Dictionary
2. a false or mistaken idea

3. an often plausible argument using false or invalid inference

Quote:
I have posted a link showing Denver's downtown pop. Nuff said there
Yes, the very same link which says there are only 10,000 people living in the CBD, CPV, and LoDo.

Quote:
The reason Denver's downtown is larger in area then Milwaukee's downtown is because it is more developed. Thats why its Denver is the 10th largest CBD and Milwaukee is the 26th... I don't know why you keep complaining about this.
You have absolutely no clue what you are talking about. Milwaukee's population peaked around 750,000 residents during the 1960's. Our city has been developed, and actually has the amenities of a much larger city (because it used to be a much larger city). Outside of the immediate core, Denver is a sprawling mess of hideous one-story ranch houses.

Quote:
Ten story highrises? Um ok but how does that make Milwaukee a bastion of highrise living? I mean really...

Maybe compared to Greenbay or something...
Nobody said it was. I simply said Milwaukee had more residential highrises than Denver.

Quote:
Denver's density is affected by the second largest airport in the world (DIA 53 sq miles) in its city limit. Subtract that and you get 6000k per square mile for denver. Yes, we surpassed the 600k mark recently.
Denver city, Colorado - ACS Demographic and Housing Estimates: 2005-2007
No, actually you didn't. According to the US Census Bureau, Denver only has 576,842 residents.

Old 06-11-2009, 03:56 PM

1,991 posts, read 3,951,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjacobeclark View Post
LOL as far as boating on Lake Granby is concerned, it's smaller than Lake Mendota in Madison. And no, actually you don't have to be an outdoorsy person to enjoy boating or sailing. We have several marinas along Lake Michigan near Downtown Milwaukee where you could launch your boat, as well as slips along the Milwaukee River where you can pull your boat right up to the bar or restaurant of your choice.
I'm not all that interested in Lake Mendota or Madison, but thanks for the anecdotal information. Also, I've never heard of anybody boating indoors. Last I checked, putting a boat in a lake or river involved being outdoors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjacobeclark View Post
The fact that Denver has the 2nd largest performing arts complex isn't as impressive as it sounds. It simply means that every single theatre in the entire city is located under one roof. Big whoop.
It's as impressive as it appears in real life when you're in it. And yes, it is a really big whoop and a really big performing arts complex which dwarfs most others.

Old 06-11-2009, 03:58 PM

1,991 posts, read 3,951,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackOut View Post
I'm sorry MantaRay, I jumped the gun and thought you were talking about the Cherry Creek neighborhood.
No problem.

Old 06-11-2009, 05:09 PM

53 posts, read 175,390 times
jjacobeclark is such an anti-Denver troll. Hilarious.

Old 06-11-2009, 06:55 PM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,776,449 times
Default Downtown Fort Worth

Earlier... MUCH earlier in this thread, someone mentioned how Fort Worth has a Top Ten caliber downtown area.....

Uh, no.

Now in no way am I saying it's NOT a good downtown area, becasue I believe Fort Worth should definately be on a Top 25 list, but not Top 10.

Here's an areal pic (it's from 7 years ago, but it's virtually the same) of downtown..... I want you to count the number of parking spaces you see.

Personally, I think if it's more than 5 (which it is), then that's WAY too much.

Here's some shots of the city's heart: Sundance Square

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/9/9b/DTFW.JPG/800px-DTFW.JPG (broken link)

http://www.myeventinfo.net/reuter/squaredance.jpg (broken link)

http://www.dmsas.com/images/projects/p5300/1.jpg (broken link)

http://www.classiccarriages.net/SD.PANORAMA.JPG (broken link)

Christmas Time

Here's the Bass Performance Hall

Looking down Main Street and the Main St. Arts Festival

The Water Gardens

Downtown Living

http://www.dfwi.org/content/Project%20photos/TheTowerJan07.jpg (broken link)

Downtown's Future Expansion
http://www.trinityrivervision.org/images/ModelImage2.jpg (broken link)

http://www.uptownfortworth.com/images2/sketch11.gif (broken link)

Fort Worth has alot of potential.
As of right now, it is a very walkable place that makes you feel lik you're in a small town, with its brick paved streets, 19th/early 20th century buildings, and Courthouse.
It's a great place, but it does have too many parking spaces for you to say it's in the top ten. But the area has a ways to go in order for you to say it's in the Top Ten. But the area has MUCH room to grow..... and it will.

Old 06-11-2009, 07:17 PM

3,282 posts, read 5,180,658 times
I notice that as well.I hate when downtowns have too many parking lots in proportion to their size. It just takes up good space and makes it aesthetically unpleasing.

http://i199.photobucket.com/albums/aa195/Bryan8010/fortworth.jpg (broken link)

Old 06-11-2009, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanRocks View Post
jjacobeclark is such an anti-Denver troll. Hilarious.
It's only considered trolling when it's not true.

Old 06-11-2009, 11:17 PM

53 posts, read 175,390 times
your past posts over many threads do speak for themselves. TROLL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City