Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-13-2012, 11:58 AM

13,727 posts, read 15,734,937 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
Let's get something straight here - you do not speak for your region. And guess what? We believe in smart grown DOWN HERE TOO. You have a very bad habit of talking down to people, and I ain't having it. You continually misrepresent just about everything regarding the DMV.

And no, you can't FORCE people to live against their will. All this precious plan Maryland will do is force people across the Virginia line, so they can sprawl even more than they already do. I guess you have never been to Portland, and have seen how the growth simply leapfrogs across the urban growth boundary, including across the Columbia River into Vancouver, WA.

Again, all of this may sound good on paper, but this will do nothing but encourage even more sprawl on the outer fringes of the region.
Based on that post, I probably need to add you to the list of people that have no idea what they are talking about. Especially your comment on Portland which is a model of smart growth. By the way, Virginia is doing the same thing. In fact, planners in the region got the idea from Arlington which has absorbed almost all it's population in the Rosslyn-Ballston corridor. You know, Arlington Virginia! Fairfax is now following in Arlington's footsteps.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2012, 11:58 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,885,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
I don't know how long you plan to live in the D.C. area but the suburbs are headed for an extremely different build. This is especially true for Montgomery County. White Flint-TwinBrook is going to make Bethesda look like a pit stop. The 355 Pike master plan moving forward right now is a national model of revitalization in the business right now. Planners from all over the country come to D.C. to study our development and community design. We are at the forefront in the business. I can't express enough that Metro is the only reason for this. It is honestly the envy of everyone around the nation because of it's ability to urbanize the suburbs into downtown's.

You mentioned you like the city. That is understandable. The suburban TOD centers will never be like downtown DC, NYC, Chicago etc. but their downtown development will run circles around anything in any other region including the NYC MSA in the suburbs.

Allstar. I think what a lot of us are saying are the plans are very good. like prelude (in his comments re: Chicago) I know Philly is horrid on planning, disparate municipalities with little cohesion in the burbs. DCs plans are stellar in comparison. But I also dont believe that all this development is actually going to happen, just dont, history suggests it is likely not the case.

I also disagree the areas are as urban as you describe and wilkl end up being so

Also on your prior post of 15-20% afforadable housing. It isnt that demopgraphic I referenced for the house prices. it is the middle and upper middle that I was more reffering to

Old 02-13-2012, 11:59 AM

32,084 posts, read 34,672,030 times
Quote:
And those places have extremely low population density. Bowie has what...50,000 people. Come on now...lol
And Suitland has what...25,000 people. Come on now...lol.

Suitland, Maryland - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 02-13-2012, 12:04 PM

2,545 posts, read 3,294,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
No. You could add DC, MoCo and PG together and still not get anything close to 2.7 million people. And like kidphilly said, that's only assuming that all of those people live close to the city. There are obviously huge population centers in towns like Bowie, Upper Marlboro and Mitchellville that are at least 15-20 miles away from the District.
I wasn't assuming that all of those people live close to the city. I layed out my assumptions pretty clearly. Which part do you disagree with? Montgomery, for example, looks about 50% empty. Population does not exist on empty land. I said 80% of the population in 50% of the land and, if anything, that's conservative. I did not say 100% of the population in 50% of the land.

You easily get to 2.6m counting DC, Arlington, Alexandria, about 50% of Montgomery and 60% of Fairfax. That's less than 600 sq miles. If you include PG, it will be higher.

Old 02-13-2012, 12:07 PM

13,727 posts, read 15,734,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
And Suitland has what...25,000 people. Come on now...lol.

Suitland, Maryland - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Suitland has a population density over 6,000 people per square mile. That same population density extends throughout the inner ring. Many other area's have an even higher population density throughout the entire inner ring. Bowie has a population density of 3,000 people per square miles and even less outside the city limits. If you don't understand concepts like this, why do you continue to participate in these discussions?

Old 02-13-2012, 12:10 PM

7,731 posts, read 14,354,399 times
Quote:
Based on that post, I probably need to add you to the list of people that have no idea what they are talking about. Especially your comment on Portland which is a model of smart growth. By the way, Virginia is doing the same thing. In fact, planners in the region got the idea from Arlington which has absorbed almost all it's population in the Rosslyn-Ballston corridor. You know, Arlington Virginia! Fairfax is now following in Arlington's footsteps.
And again you insist on "talking down" to me. You have absolutely no idea what I do and do not know, kid. I have BEEN to Portland, and have seen it with my own eyes. Have you?

As far as all of these plans, again - I'll believe it when I see it. You obviously are clueless about the massive downsizing the Federal government is in for. Just like kidphilly tried to tell you, if you think this insane growth of the DMV over the past few years is sustainable and will continue, you are even more clueless than you appear.

Old 02-13-2012, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzrovian View Post
Not generous at all. Just look on Google. North of the 270/370 interchange, all you have is the densely populated corridor along 270 up to Germantown and everything else is almost entirely empty.

montgomery county, maryland - Google Maps

If anything my estimates might be conservative. And if you play around with numbers to take out the outer Mongomery and Fairfax suburbs and add in the inner Price George's suburbs you can probably get to 2.7m in 500 to 600 easily.
I am very familiar with the area, lived there for years and it is closer to 900 based on the population aggregation and land area covered.

PG is also a little different in development style

But just as some examples Bethesda, practically in the district is 4200 ppsm. Potomac MD right next door is 1800 ppsm etc.

VA is a little more dense overall.

The numbers just dont bear it out though to achieve that in close to 500 sq miles

Old 02-13-2012, 12:15 PM

Quote:
I wasn't assuming that all of those people live close to the city. I layed out my assumptions pretty clearly. Which part do you disagree with? Montgomery, for example, looks about 50% empty. Population does not exist on empty land. I said 80% of the population in 50% of the land and, if anything, that's conservative. I did not say 100% of the population in 50% of the land.

You easily get to 2.6m counting DC, Arlington, Alexandria, about 50% of Montgomery and 60% of Fairfax. That's less than 600 sq miles. If you include PG, it will be higher.
I think the easiest way to go about it is to start in the middle of the region and see if you can find 2.7 million people within a 500 sq. mile radius. That way you don't have to make any assumptions. I'd be interested in seeing the results.

Old 02-13-2012, 12:18 PM

Quote:

I understand your logic, but the inner portions and outer portions dom not have the density disparity you suggest. As I said 900 not 500, the point

Old 02-13-2012, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Suitland has a population density over 6,000 people per square mile. That same population density extends throughout the inner ring. Many other area's have an even higher population density throughout the entire inner ring. Bowie has a population density of 3,000 people per square miles and even less outside the city limits. If you don't understand concepts like this, why do you continue to participate in these discussions?
LOL. You are funny indeed. Go back and consult your link, man.

Mapping the 2010 U.S. Census - NYTimes.com

Do you see how most of the inner ring suburbs are falling in population? Silver Hill is down 8.2 percent. You would expect the Bojangle's and drive-through liquor stores in Oxon Hill to draw more people, but apparently that's not the case. It's down 4.4 percent. Mitchellville, on the other hand, grew by 48.9 percent. Lanham grew by 70 percent. One census tract in Bowie grew by 150 percent. These areas are the absolute epitome of suburbia. And according to your own link, that's where the population is going. Any other suggestion is based on speculation and wishful thinking, not hard evidence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City