Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-13-2012, 12:24 PM

1,750 posts, read 3,389,720 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
I understand your logic, but the inner portions and outer portions dom not have the density disparity you suggest. As I said 900 not 500, the point
If somebody was willing to do the leg work, this would probably clear it up....

Mapping the 2010 U.S. Census - NYTimes.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2012, 12:27 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,895,654 times
Quote:
I understand your logic, but the inner portions and outer portions dom not have the density disparity you suggest. As I said 900 not 500, the point

Actually I am going to stand somewhat corrected.

DC gets to 2.7 million in 708 sq miles

at 500 gets to 2.1/2 million

this is now updated with 2010 census data
FreeDemographics

Old 02-13-2012, 12:30 PM

13,727 posts, read 15,741,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
LOL. You are funny indeed. Go back and consult your link, man.

Mapping the 2010 U.S. Census - NYTimes.com

Do you see how most of the inner ring suburbs are falling in population? Silver Hill is down 8.2 percent. You would expect the Bojangle's and drive-through liquor stores in Oxon Hill to draw more people, but apparently that's not the case. It's down 4.4 percent. Mitchellville, on the other hand, grew by 48.9 percent. Lanham grew by 70 percent. One census tract in Bowie grew by 150 percent. These areas are the absolute epitome of suburbia. And according to your own link, that's where the population is going. Any other suggestion is based on speculation and wishful thinking, not hard evidence.
Prince George's County is the most rural part of the area anyway. It is loosing population which should be great for development and gentrification possibilities. The population in the area and future urban population in the area is in Alexandria, Arlington, Montgomery County, and Fairfax County. PG will see infill around metro stations but won't be the urban center's the rest of the region will be.

Old 02-13-2012, 12:35 PM

Quote:

FreeDemographics
There is a reason I didn't get involved in this discussion. You completely dismissed the hub and spoke design of our region. Our population radiates in straight thin corridors. Look at the Red Line and the Silver Line headed out to Dulles. Our region grew around Metro and will only intensify growth around metro. This is a requirement because of traffic. A better way to look at it would be to place 5 mile buffer zones around entire Metro lines and see how many people live in those areas. The in between is bare on purpose.

Old 02-13-2012, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
There is a reason I didn't get involved in this discussion. You completely dismissed the hub and spoke design of our region. Our population radiates in straight thin corridors. Look at the Red Line and the Silver Line headed out to Dulles. Our region grew around Metro and will only intensify growth around metro. This is a requirement because of traffic. A better way to look at it would be to place 5 mile buffer zones around entire Metro lines and see how many people live in those areas. The in between is bare on purpose.
I understand your point but it isnt dense nor as bare as you suggest

Do imagine it will more distribute more this way but is already so differently than you discuss, aall that will impacted is NEW development and this doesnt oimpact that development beyond the bounds of Metro. Think at best will be 50/50 and not an absolute as you suggest on fiuture growth. More pronounced within the reach of Metro though

Old 02-13-2012, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
And again you insist on "talking down" to me. You have absolutely no idea what I do and do not know, kid. I have BEEN to Portland, and have seen it with my own eyes. Have you?

As far as all of these plans, again - I'll believe it when I see it. You obviously are clueless about the massive downsizing the Federal government is in for. Just like kidphilly tried to tell you, if you think this insane growth of the DMV over the past few years is sustainable and will continue, you are even more clueless than you appear.
What does Federal Government downsizing have to do with development planning? This is about ALL growth happening where the government plans for it to happen. Doesn't matter how much growth it is, it's whatever growth that does happen, it's going to happen where we plan for it to happen. That is whether it's 2012 or 2050. The amount is a non-factor.

Old 02-13-2012, 12:41 PM

Quote:

FreeDemographics

Chicago (with the lake included) is 3.4 at 500 and 3.8 at 700

Did Houston with the 2010 data as personal curiousity
1.7 at 500 and 2.3 at 700 sq miles

Philly another curiousity
2.7 at 500 and 3.1 at 700 sq miles

Old 02-13-2012, 12:42 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,291,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
What does Federal Government downsizing have to do with development planning? This is about ALL growth happening where the government plans for it to happen. Doesn't matter how much growth it is, it's whatever growth that does happen, it's going to happen where we plan for it to happen. That is whether it's 2012 or 2050. The amount is a non-factor.
..and there lies the problem.

Old 02-13-2012, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
..and there lies the problem.
You say that now, until we have to raise your taxes to fund new roads, schools, sewers etc. ect. ect.

It's so funny people complain about everything and want this wonderful quiet lifestyle, yet they don't want to pay for it's upkeep.

Old 02-13-2012, 12:47 PM

2,545 posts, read 3,295,244 times
Quote:

FreeDemographics

But this is based on a symmetrical radial sq mileage, right? That's not what I was talking about.

Looking at the densest contiguous areas I am pretty sure you can easily get to 2.7m in 500 to 600 sq miles.

And I am surprised that you could even argue about 2.7m in 900. At 900 you were counting almost all of Mongomery (450 sq miles) and Fairfax (400 sq miles) when they are both visibly empty for a very substantial part of their area. I mean if you are gonna do that, then at least give them credit for all of their populations!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City