Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Skyline competition: Chicago vs Hong Kong
Chicago 31 34.07%
Hong Kong 60 65.93%
Voters: 91. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2009, 05:42 PM

5,758 posts, read 11,632,923 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Chicago has better architecture and more notable buildings. Hong kong is new and shiny not better.
Heh. You've never actually been to Hong Kong, right?

Old 05-26-2009, 05:56 PM

3,003 posts, read 6,089,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tablemtn View Post
Heh. You've never actually been to Hong Kong, right?
It aint hard to tell. The internet boggles the mind. People are seriously going to sit here and say that hong kong has more notable buildings than chicago. Lol when did HK start building? in the 80's? lol Theres no argument with me if hk has more buildings or not

Old 05-26-2009, 06:03 PM

6,625 posts, read 14,452,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K.O.N.Y View Post
Because none of their buildings are as authentic, yet ppl are running to vote for hong kong. Its the new shiny toy. I respect dubai"s ambition something sadly lacking in new york as of now. They are on a quest for greatness, my city is frustrating me on how lax its been
Wait a minute....so you don't like Hong Kong because it's "the shiny new toy", but you respect Dubai because of its ambition? That makes no sense to me. Dubai is the ultimate "shiny new toy"...filled with slave labor and fake everything.

The only part of Hong Kong that is "shiny new toy" the buildings. It's one of the most powerful cities on the planet. It has a GDP of about $300M, and it has the sixth largest stock exchange on the planet. According to The Global Financial Centres Index, Hong Kong is the fourth most important financial center in the world, behind #1 London, #2 New York City, and #3 Singapore.

I'm getting the impression that you're not "tired of this Hong Kong stuff", like you mentioned before...I feel like you're just scared people may think Hong Kong's skyline is better than New York's. I personally don't, but some people do.

Old 05-26-2009, 06:05 PM

5,758 posts, read 11,632,923 times
Quote:
People are seriously going to sit here and say that hong kong has more notable buildings than chicago.
It very well might, if you are talking about global recognition.

Chicago's only globally-known building is the Sears Tower - which was built in the 70's. The Hancock Tower is less-known. Something like the Aon Center is positively anonymous. Something like the Chicago Spire WOULD be very well-known... if only it actually got built.

Hong Kong is currently building a skyscraper taller than the Sears Tower (the International Commerce Center; scheduled for completion in 2010), and already has iconic skyscrapers like 2 International Financial Centre, Central Plaza, and especially the sleek Bank of China Tower, which reminds me of an origami swan for some reason.

I don't see what age really has to do with it. If age is your main concern, then you'd probably say the city of Shibam in Yemen is the best of all...

Old 05-26-2009, 06:08 PM

In the United States, there is no question that Chicago's buildings are MUCH more notable than those of Hong Kong. In the Eastern world, that's obviously different. But not many of the people on this site are familiar with Hong Kong and its buildings.

Old 05-26-2009, 06:22 PM

3,003 posts, read 6,089,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post
Wait a minute....so you don't like Hong Kong because it's "the shiny new toy", but you respect Dubai because of its ambition? That makes no sense to me. Dubai is the ultimate "shiny new toy"...filled with slave labor and fake everything.

The only part of Hong Kong that is "shiny new toy" the buildings. It's one of the most powerful cities on the planet. It has a GDP of about $300M, and it has the sixth largest stock exchange on the planet. According to The Global Financial Centres Index, Hong Kong is the fourth most important financial center in the world, behind #1 London, #2 New York City, and #3 Singapore.

I'm getting the impression that you're not "tired of this Hong Kong stuff", like you mentioned before...I feel like you're just scared people may think Hong Kong's skyline is better than New York's. I personally don't, but some people do.
1. As a skyline hong kongs main impressiveness comes from the fact that there is a large collection of shiny builds bunched up in one area. When i look at hk ,quality is not the first thing to come to mind. It reminds me of another thread we had here a few week back. On what was better the staples center or madison square garden. Its like the same thing with this. The staples center is new and shiny but msg has history and more fame. It has witnessed unrivaled, classic greatness that the staples center will never see. Same thing with these two skylines.

2. Im not worried about people thinking hk is better than nyc because its not. NYC has the most recognizable skyline in the world. We define skyline. Our buildings are apart of culture and embedded into the minds of millions. The Empire State Building's competition are things like the Statue of liberty the eiffel tower not no building, especially from hong kong.

3. And dubai's skyline will never be nyc. Thats not what im talking about. The burg dubai is what i was reffering too. It shows a quest for greatness that nyc seems to have lost.

New york should be number one on that list. wheres tokyo and paris?

Old 05-26-2009, 06:30 PM

Quote:
1. As a skyline hong kongs main impressiveness comes from the fact that there is a large collection of shiny builds bunched up in one area. When i look at hk ,quality is not the first thing to come to mind. It reminds me of another thread we had here a few week back. On what was better the staples center or madison square garden. Its like the same thing with this. The staples center is new and shiny but msg has history and more fame. It has witnessed unrivaled, classic greatness that the staples center will never see. Same thing with these two skylines.

2. Im not worried about people thinking hk is better than nyc because its not. NYC has the most recognizable skyline in the world. We define skyline. Our buildings are apart of culture and embedded into the minds of millions. The Empire State Building's competition are things like the Statue of liberty the eiffel tower not no building, especially from hong kong.

3. And dubai's skyline will never be nyc. Thats not what im talking about. The burg dubai is what i was reffering too. It shows a quest for greatness that nyc seems to have lost.

Not sure where Tokyo is, and I'm not too sure many people would consider Paris to have one of the best skylines in the world. I personally love La Defense, but it's still pretty small at the moment. However, they have some very ambitious projects planned for the near future. We'll see if it gets any higher at that point.

The thing about your argument is, greatness can ever rarely be proclaimed as fact. To you, it is factual that NYC has a better skyline. To you, the fact that Hong Kong's skyline is made of glass means it isn't real/good/etc. However, to others that may not be true. New York City's skyline is the most notable that I can think of, but remember...there are TONS more people on the other side of the world than there is here. China and India alone are like over 50% of the world's population. To them, Hong Kong could be the most notable and greatest.

Old 05-26-2009, 06:37 PM

37,127 posts, read 39,357,090 times
Quote:

We get it, you like historicity above most other things. You don't like the shiny modern look of skyscrapers like those in Hong Kong. So we can understand why you like Chicago more than you like Chicago.

People who like in Hong Kong often like the sheer density and height of the buildings in Hong Kong as well as the setting with Victoria Harbor and lush, forested hillsides. Many people who prefer HK feel that shiny and modern, as well as some of the stark and unique designs of some of the buildings, are actually good qualities.

My guesses as to why Tokyo and Paris aren't on there are:

Tokyo is probably off the list because it's actually not that great of a skyline considering how massive it is. It's got quite a few interesting buildings here and there, but as a whole, Tokyo doesn't have a particularly photogenic or awe-inspiring skyline.

Paris is probably off because of the height restrictions--there's La Defense, but that's not exactly Paris and it's also not all that charming.

Old 05-26-2009, 06:56 PM

116 posts, read 364,756 times
Hong Kong is more impressive when it comes to pure size, Chicago is more well balanced.

Old 05-26-2009, 07:49 PM

2,314 posts, read 4,796,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jax419 View Post
Hong Kong is more impressive when it comes to pure size, Chicago is more well balanced.
I agree. Hong Kong is much more massive and impressive based on the fact that it's so big.

Chicago's is much more well balanced and structured better, although if I had to choose, Hong Kong would get my vote.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City