Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2013, 01:58 PM

690 posts, read 963,597 times

Advertisements

which is more cosmopolitan?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2013, 02:53 PM

5,864 posts, read 15,237,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainrock View Post
I get a kick out of perception that close proximity to NYC and Dc is Philadelphia's greatest attribute.

Philadelphia is the Second largest MSA on the east coast. Bigger than Boston and DC. Its a kickass downtown core arguably top 3 USA.

If you dropped Philadelphia onto the west coast or south it immediately becomes that regions "cultural urban city". The urban city that everyone else in the region strives to become-albeit with a better underbelly. In reverence to Chicago I won't say the same thing for the midwest.

So yeah the Philadelphia region could be thousands of miles from NYC-DC and it would still best most regions/cities. It stands on its own.

MSA 6 M. Its been top 3 for 75% of this countrys lifespan. Top 5 for 100% of it.
Maybe in the south but clearly out on the west coast probably third. It is the 2nd largest where it sits now but clearly doesn't really dominate anything. Clearly Boston and DC hold their own. It's definately a nice city but come on.

Old 06-10-2013, 04:33 PM

8,632 posts, read 12,993,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwright1 View Post
Maybe in the south but clearly out on the west coast probably third. It is the 2nd largest where it sits now but clearly doesn't really dominate anything. Clearly Boston and DC hold their own. It's definately a nice city but come on.
Lets keep it real. If Philly was located in the West Coast, it would easily overshadow every city within a 100 mile radius with the exception of Los Angeles. You seem to forget that Philly is and has always been among the top 5 largest cities in the country, going all the back to the first US Census. Your underestimating it's dominance.

Old 06-10-2013, 06:25 PM

37,877 posts, read 41,910,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
Lets keep it real. If Philly was located in the West Coast, it would easily overshadow every city within a 100 mile radius with the exception of Los Angeles. You seem to forget that Philly is and has always been among the top 5 largest cities in the country, going all the back to the first US Census. Your underestimating it's dominance.
Philly would not overshadow San Francisco though. As cities they'd probably be viewed more or less equally, but Philly would definitely come in third as a metro behind LA and the Bay Area.

Old 06-10-2013, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Philly would not overshadow San Francisco though. As cities they'd probably be viewed more or less equally, but Philly would definitely come in third as a metro behind LA and the Bay Area.
Philly is much larger in population whether it's city proper or metro area. NYC is the only city that overshadows Philadelphia. The Bay Area would not over shadow Philly because it's presence isn't large enough to do that. It would take a metropolis that is at least 2-3 times the size of Philly to really overshadow it. Only NYC and possibly Los Angeles can make that claim. Not even Chicago could significantly over shadow Philly.

Old 06-10-2013, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Philly is much larger in population whether it's city proper or metro area. NYC is the only city that overshadows Philadelphia. The Bay Area would not over shadow Philly because it's presence isn't large enough to do that. It would take a metropolis that is at least 2-3 times the size of Philly to really overshadow it. Only NYC and possibly Los Angeles can make that claim. Not even Chicago could significantly over shadow Philly.
Considering the Bay Area as one metro as most do, Philly is not larger. And I didn't say that the Bay Area would overshadow Philly, but that it would rank third as a metro on the West Coast. For the most part, LA, the Bay Area, and Philly would be seen as the dominant three.

Old 06-10-2013, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Considering the Bay Area as one metro as most do, Philly is not larger. And I didn't say that the Bay Area would overshadow Philly, but that it would rank third as a metro on the West Coast. For the most part, LA, the Bay Area, and Philly would be seen as the dominant three.
Here's the difference. Your saying that the Bay Area wouldn't overshadow Philly but I'm saying that Philly would indeed overshadow San Francisco if it was in close proximity of it. Similar to the poster pwright1, you are underestimating Philly's dominance.

Last edited by gwillyfromphilly; 06-10-2013 at 07:38 PM..

Old 06-10-2013, 08:01 PM

2,217 posts, read 3,900,194 times
Philadelphia overall is the greater city no doubt. I will probably get flamed on C-D for this but I like the more suburban living what you people call sprawl. I don't like Row Houses and Brown Stones. I like single family homes with front and back yards with a few acres of lot. I'm also I'm a warm weather person so that also makes Atlanta more attractive than Philly for me. The big negative of living in Atlanta is the traffic and if you live in Gwinett or Cobb County public transit is not so great. Marta doesn't run in those counties.

Old 06-10-2013, 08:05 PM

591 posts, read 820,339 times
Downtown Philly, Metro Atlanta.

Old 06-10-2013, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Here's the difference. Your saying that the Bay Area wouldn't overshadow Philly but I'm saying that Philly would indeed overshadow San Francisco if it was in close proximity of it. Similar to the poster pwright1, you are underestimating Philly's dominance.
Completely disagree. I think you're underestimating San Francisco's dominance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City