U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2009, 04:15 PM

5,338 posts, read 9,114,417 times
Default If you moved abroad, what would you miss most about the U.S.?

In light of a discussion taking place in another thread about whether or not you would move out of the country over moving to certain areas of the U.S. I wanted to pose this question (apologies if it's been done recently).

The discussion in that thread has shifted to, "does the U.S. offer more than any other country?" and that's certainly subjective and debatable. I want to know, IF you were to move out of the U.S. (be it to Hamilton, Canada or Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia and anywhere in between) what would you miss? What would you miss most about your hometown, your state, your country, etc.?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2009, 04:17 PM

8,164 posts, read 9,456,244 times
i'd miss the ease of communicating with family and, although trivial, sports

Old 05-27-2009, 04:23 PM

5,338 posts, read 9,114,417 times
To get started, I would miss my family and friends first and foremost. I would jump at an opportunity to live abroad, but I would never be able to get over being far away from those closest to me. Adjusting to a different culture would take time, but I can do it. I have an adventurous palate, so the food wouldn't be hard to adjust to (though I'd miss certain familiar items like fresh scallops just off the boat, etc). I could get used to a language barrier (I'd pick up on what I need to know of the language wherever I am) and the cultural differences. I'd have no problem with that.

If I were somewhere I didn't have to drive, I would NOT miss my car (in fact, it's gone when I get an apartment for the long-term here). I'd probably miss my favorite TV shows (though I know I could get them via hulu or slingbox, etc). I'd ABSOLUTELY miss the Sox (celts, pats, bruins, etc). I'd miss the scene on Lansdowne after a big win and the partying.

Overall, I'd miss the familiarity, but I believe that can be found somewhere else. If given the right opportunity to go to the right place, I'd have to take it. It would be tough to not see family and friends as much, but I'd make it work if the chance was a good one.

*Edit*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Laker View Post
i'd miss the ease of communicating with family and, although trivial, sports
Ditto. Sports isn't trivial, it's an escape and it would be tough to do without it. I spent a month in India (with family and friends) and missed the crap out of my Sox. I couldn't imagine being without them for too long.

Old 05-27-2009, 04:26 PM

176 posts, read 422,437 times
I would miss the less anal highway Police.

P.S. I am not originally from the US, so understandably I would miss less the nostalgic family stuff and events the previous posters rightfully mention.

Last edited by Lionsdale; 05-27-2009 at 04:31 PM.. Reason: P.S.

Old 05-27-2009, 04:39 PM

2,438 posts, read 4,966,475 times
Not necessarily in order of preference:

1) Grocery stores open virtually anytime carrying virtually everything
2) Hospitals open 24/7 and ambulances that would come a pick you up even if you don't have cash on hand to pay for it.
3) Public roads, integrated and regulated across the land.
4) The right to vote and the right to choose not to.
5) The right to move freely about the country, and, if I were a foreigner, the possibility of becoming a citizen.
6) The right to love the system or hate it without being thrown in jail.

Granted, some of these are available in other lands, but I know of no other place that offers all of them.

Old 05-27-2009, 04:45 PM

2,059 posts, read 3,298,851 times
Professional sports - NFL, MLB, NHL and NBA

Old 05-27-2009, 04:50 PM

12,793 posts, read 18,917,527 times
The people.

Old 05-27-2009, 04:58 PM

18,269 posts, read 2,922,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
In light of a discussion taking place in another thread about whether or not you would move out of the country over moving to certain areas of the U.S. I wanted to pose this question (apologies if it's been done recently).

The discussion in that thread has shifted to, "does the U.S. offer more than any other country?" and that's certainly subjective and debatable. I want to know, IF you were to move out of the U.S. (be it to Hamilton, Canada or Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia and anywhere in between) what would you miss? What would you miss most about your hometown, your state, your country, etc.?

If I moved to Hamilton,Ontario,Canada I wouldnt miss anything about the USA because alot of things you find in the USA is found in Canada.

If I moved to Kuala Lampur I would miss everything!

Old 05-27-2009, 05:02 PM

1,894 posts, read 2,197,134 times
College football, the Lakers in the Finals, the food, and the people. I think true Americans are the best on Earth, most giving, most welcoming, and fairest.

Old 05-27-2009, 05:06 PM

6,543 posts, read 6,528,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by treedonkey View Post
Not necessarily in order of preference:

1) Grocery stores open virtually anytime carrying virtually everything
2) Hospitals open 24/7 and ambulances that would come a pick you up even if you don't have cash on hand to pay for it.
3) Public roads, integrated and regulated across the land.
4) The right to vote and the right to choose not to.
5) The right to move freely about the country, and, if I were a foreigner, the possibility of becoming a citizen.
6) The right to love the system or hate it without being thrown in jail.

Granted, some of these are available in other lands, but I know of no other place that offers all of them.
I'd miss all of these things plus, my family, my friends, my career, and the food we have available here 24/7.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City