Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-22-2013, 03:40 PM

640 posts, read 1,225,412 times

Advertisements

I've taken a bus from Philadelphia to NYC and I didn't notice it being continuous at all. Sure there are plety of towns and developed parts in between but it's certainly not THAT continuous. It would be very hard to mistake it for the same metro areas...The same goes for the area even between DC and Baltimore. It's CLEARLY not mistakable as the same continuous city
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2013, 10:40 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,979,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcp11889 View Post
I've taken a bus from Philadelphia to NYC and I didn't notice it being continuous at all. Sure there are plety of towns and developed parts in between but it's certainly not THAT continuous. It would be very hard to mistake it for the same metro areas...The same goes for the area even between DC and Baltimore. It's CLEARLY not mistakable as the same continuous city
Seriously? The majority of the NJ suburbs of NYC and Philly, which you pass through going from one city to the other, are almost indistinguishable. You won't even go through any significantly large rural areas along that route, NJ's most rural areas are in the SW of the state. Are Philly and NYC two totally different cities, absolutely. All the BosWash cities are different from one another yet remarkably connected. The fact that you can take a bus or train from Philly to NYC alone is a major aspect. Same goes for NYC to Boston or DC, Boston to Philly or DC, etc. New Jersey is a heavily urbanized state, all of its counties are listed as urban (the only state in the whole country like this) and I know for a fact that the drive from Philly to NYC through New Jersey looks much the same if you're in New York country (north NJ) or Philly country (South NJ). The only discernible difference in NJ is if you're in the pine barrens or extreme SW NJ. Even the coast is similar to NYC or Philly in feel because of the tourists and many current locals are former city residents.

Camden and Newark, Trenton and Elizabeth and New Brunswick… major differences aesthetically, especially if you're just passing through the outskirts? None really.

The BosWash megalopolis absolutely exists and is unarguably the most major and powerful one in the country. I think that it goes from Boston to DC, though, without any exceptions. I get why people say Northern Virginia (DC suburbs), but I do think beyond that's reaching.

Old 05-23-2013, 12:33 PM

3,353 posts, read 6,438,886 times
Reposting for those who need to see that all the metropolitans of the Boswash corridor continually touch unlike any other corridor in the nation:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMORE View Post
D.C. Metro
D.C.
Montgomery County, MD
Both Baltimore & D.C. Metro
Howard County, MD
Baltimore Metro, MD
Baltimore County, MD
Baltimore City, MD (it doesn't have to be included since its surrounded by Baltimore County for the most part)
Harford County, MD
Philly Metro
Cecil County, MD
New Castle, DE
Delaware County, PA
Philadelphia County, PA
Burlington County, NJ
NYC Metro
Monmouth County, New Jersey
Richmond County, NY (Staten Island NYC)
New York County, NY (Manhattan)
Bronx County, NY (Bronx)
Westchester County, NY
NYC CSA (this is the only part that's really debatable because now your talking about CSA's
Faifield County, CT
New Haven County, CT
Litchfield County, CT
Springfield Metro
Hampden County, MA
Boston Metro
Worcester County, MA
Middlesex County, MA
Suffolk County, MA (Boston)

Old 05-23-2013, 12:58 PM

27,555 posts, read 28,641,455 times
Quote:
I've taken a bus from Philadelphia to NYC and I didn't notice it being continuous at all.
So, what is "continuous" to you? New Jersey is the most densely populated state in the United States.

Old 05-23-2013, 01:29 PM

36,653 posts, read 67,487,099 times
Quote:
You are correct. Its not totally contiguous but I have found that only California(maybe the west in general) has the sort of development that could be considered uninterrupted, like between LA and the Inland Empire--that sort of contiguous development doesn't really exist between MSAs in the Northeast or anywhere else for that matter, except for SoCal and the Bay Area.

Old 05-23-2013, 01:31 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,895,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
So, what is "continuous" to you? New Jersey is the most densely populated state in the United States.

also if you take the NJ Turnpike, which most cars do you go through Fort Dix and and a national forrest from just below exit 9 to nearly exit 4 - looks barren, plus the southern portion in NJ misses all the PA development (including philadelphia) if venturing between say NYC and DC, almost a bypass of sorts

Route 1 and 95 would appear different though a little sparce right around plainsboro NJ for 2 miles or so on route 1

Old 05-23-2013, 01:38 PM

3,877 posts, read 3,892,772 times
Id say more of Bos-New Haven, Ct, It just gets too rural after New Haven.

Old 05-23-2013, 02:17 PM

7,269 posts, read 10,588,790 times
I think people are assuming that a megalopolis has to have completely contiguous, uninterrupted development to exist, but that's not necessarily the case.

Certainly continguous development strengthens the notion of a megalopolis visually, but it's more complex than that. There's flows of traffic, commerce, demographics, economics, and other cultural attributes that have to be considered here. To a large extent, BosWash has a very unique feel compared to the rest of the country.

Nevertheless, even if we are talking about development patterns, there's no other area of the country that comes even close to the amount of very large, proximate urbanized areas as BosWash. In time, it's safe to say that BosWash will become an even more urbanized strip -- stengthening the connectivity between an already highly linked region.

I also agree that the presence of high-speed rail will hasten this trend.

Old 05-23-2013, 02:47 PM

4,511 posts, read 4,041,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderino View Post
To a large extent, BosWash has a very unique feel compared to the rest of the country.
I agree, cities in the BosWash have the feel of a city amongst cities. Cities with their own character that actually belong to and are humbled by being apart of something bigger.

Old 05-23-2013, 06:54 PM

6,963 posts, read 20,530,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean1the1 View Post
Id say more of Bos-New Haven, Ct, It just gets too rural after New Haven.
of course

disagree w/the philly to new haven amtrak? ppl are smoking crack.

i need to see proof of another continuous stretch
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City