Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-30-2013, 01:02 PM

2,226 posts, read 3,830,390 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Well Im happy you like to play with maps but if you are suggesting that because of this factoid, the drive from NY to Philadelphia is actually more dense, you would be wrong.

The drive btwn LA and SD is more of a megalopolis than NY-Philadelphia if the definition is unbroken development with high density for most of the distance. Its not really close.

California planned itself that way, hence we have the most densely populated urban areas in the nation.
I was suggesting that there is no dip in density along the transit route between Philly and New York. Los Angeles and San Diego have a slight gap (I picked the densest census tract to minimize this). There's no question that the LA metro area and the San Diego metro area are extremely dense and the density stays throughout the area. But that's not the definition of unbroken development.

You could say that 187 people per square mile is sufficiently dense. I have no problem with that. You would have to apply the same standards to New Jersey, though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2013, 01:04 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,877,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
If that makes you feel better, congrats.

It doesnt change the FACT that the drive between LA and SD is more consistently dense abd built up than drive between NY and Philadelphia.

Thanks for playing.
I don't know why you're so bent on proving this. It has absolutely nothing to do with the topic at hand. Again, all I'm doing is telling you you're wrong when you call NJ between two major cities "no man's land" and the middle of nowhere. I could care less how much California's sprawl goes on for. It has nothing to do with my life or the BosWash Megalopolis.

Old 05-30-2013, 01:09 PM

2,710 posts, read 6,071,620 times
There's no point in debating 18Mont. He's always right, and CA is the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow.

Old 05-30-2013, 01:11 PM

36,623 posts, read 67,123,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
Again, all I'm doing is telling you you're wrong when you call NJ between two major cities "no man's land" and the middle of nowhere.
There are large swaths of underdeveloped land. That's a fact.

Quote:
I could care less how much California's sprawl goes on for.
LOLOLOLOL...more hypocrisy. In the Northeast its called 'megalopolis' but in California its called 'sprawl.

Don't be upset because California beats you at your own game.

Quote:
It has nothing to do with my life or the BosWash Megalopolis.
My condolences.

Old 05-30-2013, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff Clavin View Post
There's no point in debating 18Mont. He's always right, and CA is the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow.
Which is why I suggested to shut this thread down, because we've proven the BosWash Megalopolis (which legitimately exists) exists, so why continue with this off-topic failed attempt to boost CA mess? But of course when I pointed that out it was ridiculously thrown against me, as well.

Old 05-30-2013, 01:15 PM

Old 05-30-2013, 01:16 PM

2,710 posts, read 6,071,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
Which is why I suggested to shut this thread down, because we've proven the BosWash Megalopolis (which legitimately exists) exists, so why continue with this off-topic failed attempt to boost CA mess? But of course when I pointed that out it was ridiculously thrown against me, as well.
CA will be bankrupt by the end of the decade. Good luck to him.

Old 05-30-2013, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgm123 View Post
I was suggesting that there is no dip in density along the transit route between Philly and New York. Los Angeles and San Diego have a slight gap
Sorry, but I found plenty of census tracts in between NY and Philadelphia that are in the low hundreds per square mile.

And as far as LA-SD, all you have is Camp Pendleton which is a military base, that's the tract you found.

Apart from that, its entirely in the thousands(lowest is 2,000 persons per square mile) all the way from Los Angeles to San Diego.

Old 05-30-2013, 01:22 PM

8,700 posts, read 14,600,572 times
^^I'll deal with him after work. Some of us have to make a living and can't sit around and post population densities all damn day.

Old 05-30-2013, 02:37 PM

Anyway,

Meanwhile, right up until the point that they can no longer develop, LA and SD are almost totally built up:

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City