Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2017, 09:03 AM

495 posts, read 778,166 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
The Kansas side of KC of kind of a joke. Soccer fields and shopping centers. BFD. Same thing you will find in any of the top 100 metros in country and in the Missouri suburbs of KC. The people that live on the KS side of KC think it's amazingly unique and special though.

We know your hatred toward the KS side of the metro, but come on, I have a lot of friends that live on the KS side and they consider themselves Kansas Citians. Some prefer JoCo or the Dot because their jobs are in KS or they prefer the schools. No biggy, but you always paint everybody on the KS side of the metro with one broad brush.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2017, 03:21 PM

11,108 posts, read 23,877,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shindig View Post
We know your hatred toward the KS side of the metro, but come on, I have a lot of friends that live on the KS side and they consider themselves Kansas Citians. Some prefer JoCo or the Dot because their jobs are in KS or they prefer the schools. No biggy, but you always paint everybody on the KS side of the metro with one broad brush.
I have a lot of friends that voted for Trump. That doesn't make me like Trump any more.

Old 12-06-2017, 05:26 PM

495 posts, read 778,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
I have a lot of friends that voted for Trump. That doesn't make me like Trump any more.
Make sure you watch the KU basketball game tonight at Sprint Center on ESPN2...big Jayhawk right in the middle court

Old 01-08-2019, 10:46 PM

4 posts, read 2,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northbound74 View Post
Kansas City, Kansas is basically a suburb of Kansas City, Missouri.
When people think of, or hear about, Kansas City, it is usually the one in Missouri.
That's where the Chiefs and Royals play. It's where the Country Club Plaza is located.
The Nelson-Atkins art museum is in MO, as well as the Kemper Museum of Contemporary Art, and the numerous theater venues. The Liberty Memorial, WW1 Museum, ALL the big buildings downtown, the international airport, as well as the old downtown airport.... all in Missouri. The boulevards, the fountains, Worlds of Fun/Oceans of Fun... in Missouri.
Sprint Center, Power & Light District, City Market, 18th & Vine, Crossroads Arts District... all are in Missouri.

Kansas City, Kansas has the NASCAR track and the Legends shopping center. Also, a Schlitterbahn (?) water park is being built there. The T-Bones minor-league baseball team plays there.

The one in Missouri has a very wide mix of dense urban development, as well as numerous suburban-type areas old and new, and even wide open countryside (for now).
KCK, as it's known, has some older neighborhoods, some newer ones, and some open space as well, but not much in the way of true "urban" development.
KCMO takes up portions of 5 counties, while KCK is in 1.
Both have some very nice areas, and both have some very crime-ridden parts.
Ward Parkway in KCMO is a gorgeous old street lined with mansions from the early part of the 20th century. The Paseo at one time was the middle-class alternative, but now.. not so great. Still kind of pretty, though.
But Johnson county Kansas has the highest business density and many of the large companies like GARMIN, Sprint And it also has seaboard crop, the only Fortune 500 company in the Kansas City area. You’re just naming a bunch of tiny neighborhoods and small attractions in kcmo. I could do that on the Kansas side too.

Old 01-09-2019, 03:51 AM

14,155 posts, read 9,047,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marginal Critic View Post
Marginal Critic;50318312]Actually, unless you have some direct ties to the Kansas City area, it is more commonly believed that Kansas City is in KANSAS. The Chiefs, nor the Royals (though known as Kansas City sports teams) are not tagged as the Missouri Chiefs or the Missouri Royals. The Kansas 'burbs have a lot to offer for family entertainment, as well.
um, not quite...

They're named for the city they're in...

which, by the way, was the first of the area jurisdictions to be named for the "People of the South Wind."

The Town of Kansas, Mo., was incorporated on July 1, 1850.

The Kansas Territory was created four years later with the passage in Washington of the Kansas-Nebraska Act.

The city in Kansas of this name took it in 1885 when the cities of Wyandotte (the largest of the cities that consolidated), Argentine, Armourdale and an older settlement in the West Bottoms that had called itself Kansas City since its establishment in 1858 (usually referred to as "Old Kansas City" for that reason) merged. Rosedale joined this city just after World War II.

People outside the region who hear someone say "Kansas City" and nothing else respond based on their knowledge of the area. Those unfamiliar with it do assume Kansas because of the presence of the state; it's logical but incorrect. Those who know something about it - and that probably includes a lot of sports fans - don't.

OTOH, I did hear a BBC World Service newsreader refer to an NFL team in one city beating the one in "Kansas" once.

Old 01-09-2019, 04:02 AM

14,155 posts, read 9,047,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JocoLover View Post
But Johnson county Kansas has the highest business density and many of the large companies like GARMIN, Sprint And it also has seaboard crop, the only Fortune 500 company in the Kansas City area. You’re just naming a bunch of tiny neighborhoods and small attractions in kcmo. I could do that on the Kansas side too.
The "small" attractions he named are the region's principal cultural facilities, a major national memorial and the hub of the oldest and most densely populated "edge city" in the region, not to mention the nation's first planned shopping center (those last two are one and the same).

I still remember seeing that major national memorial after it got nuked in the ABC made-for-TV movie "The Day After" (1980), which I watched with a bunch of friends who knew where I was from in Boston.

You're beginning to sound like a homer. Wait, "beginning to"?

However: Kansas City, Kansas, really isn't a suburb of Kansas City, Mo. It's more like a second core city the way Fort Worth is to Dallas, Oakland is to San Francisco or St. Paul is to Minneapolis. Note that of those three other cities, only St. Paul is close to the original core city in population or status (it's the state capital while its twin is the business and commercial hub). The main problem is that both core city and secondary core city have the same name in Kansas City.

Old 01-09-2019, 01:11 PM

122 posts, read 190,007 times
My personal experience is that you will often hear people from the Kansas side identify as Overland Park, Olathe, etc. Or "Johnson County" - which tends to impress or infuriate, as by all accounts Johnson County is a nice place to live but is also a tad sleepy and suburban (and sterile). But yes, there's a lot going on there, including that Sprint campus.

For those of us coming from the outside, the whole city (including KCK and KCMO) feels very cohesive. There is no radical cultural shift when you cross the border. I suspect the University of Kansas has a lot to do with this -- a lot of professionals who work downtown are Jayhawks. I'll bet that Kansas City Missouri has more fans cheering for the Jayhawks than their own Missouri Tigers.

Old 01-09-2019, 01:24 PM

1,351 posts, read 893,471 times
If it weren't for the sign announcing the state line, you'd never realize you left one or the other. Most of the entertainment, cultural, and tourist attractions are on the Missouri side, but there is no space between them, or obvious difference if you're going between the two.

A poster above compared them to Minneapolis/St Paul, and I don't know that I would quite agree. St Paul has it's own downtown that's about 5-10 miles from downtown Minneapolis, and is more pronounced as a second, "twin" city. With Kansas City, it really feels like one city, with one urban center, that's bled across state lines. I realize that they are separate cities, but that seems to be more driven by their placement in separate states than any actual difference between the cities.

Old 01-09-2019, 01:25 PM

1,351 posts, read 893,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackLonsdale View Post
My personal experience is that you will often hear people from the Kansas side identify as Overland Park, Olathe, etc. Or "Johnson County" - which tends to impress or infuriate, as by all accounts Johnson County is a nice place to live but is also a tad sleepy and suburban (and sterile). But yes, there's a lot going on there, including that Sprint campus.

For those of us coming from the outside, the whole city (including KCK and KCMO) feels very cohesive. There is no radical cultural shift when you cross the border. I suspect the University of Kansas has a lot to do with this -- a lot of professionals who work downtown are Jayhawks. I'll bet that Kansas City Missouri has more fans cheering for the Jayhawks than their own Missouri Tigers.
There's a lot of truth to this.

When you throw in large contingents of Kansas State and Iowa State alums in that metro, it's easy to see why the Big 12 keeps the basketball tournament at the Sprint Center, even though Mizzou bailed.

Old 01-09-2019, 02:54 PM

11,108 posts, read 23,877,928 times
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City