U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
View Poll Results: Milwaukee -vs- St.Louis
Milwaukee The Brew City 75 49.67%
St.Louis The Gateway to the West 76 50.33%
Voters: 151. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2010, 06:14 PM

23,444 posts, read 15,976,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diablo234 View Post
Milwaukee hands down.

St. Louis is a cool city but it is in Missouri so that is a big put off right there.
Where in Missouri have you spent any amount of time?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2010, 10:37 AM

270 posts, read 496,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diablo234 View Post
Milwaukee hands down.

St. Louis is a cool city but it is in Missouri so that is a big put off right there.
Haha, says the guy who voted for a city in Wisconsin? The two states are very similar, with some exceptions. However, I would take rural missouri over Wisconsin any day.

Old 02-05-2010, 10:43 AM

2,950 posts, read 1,638,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STLMetro View Post
Haha, says the guy who voted for a city in Wisconsin? The two states are very similar, with some exceptions. However, I would take rural missouri over Wisconsin any day.
Whatever you say. I'll take the Dells over Branson any day of the week. Ditto for Madison over Jefferson City, Milwaukee over STL, etc. BTW, Wisconsin has the #1 tourism economy in the Midwest.

Old 02-05-2010, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjacobeclark View Post
Whatever you say. I'll take the Dells over Branson any day of the week. Ditto for Madison over Jefferson City, Milwaukee over STL, etc. BTW, Wisconsin has the #1 tourism economy in the Midwest.
Haha, ditto. If your going to rank according to destinations, at least get the right ones...

Dells vs. Lake of the Ozarks
Madison vs Columbia (college towns rather than capitals)
Milwaukee vs. St. Louis
Your comparison to KC?

Old 02-05-2010, 11:02 AM

1,635 posts, read 1,824,202 times
I don't really care for the Dells, but I love Door County. Also, I love that Wisconsin's entire eastern border is Lake Michigan, and part of the northern border is Lake Superior. I'm sure Missouri is beautiful, but it doesn't have that. Also, that's a huge plus for Milwaukee - that the entire eastern border of the city is Lake Michigan.

Old 02-05-2010, 11:04 AM

5,565 posts, read 5,737,798 times
Quote:
However, I would take rural missouri over Wisconsin any day.
Interesting, because most St. Louisans I know regularly denigrate the state outside St. Louis metro (when they're not denigrating North County). And let's face it, there's a decent chunk of it that might as well be Arkansas.

Never heard the Wisconsin side of my family speak poorly of rural Wisconsin. And from my personal observation, it's every bit as interesting topographically, although wealthier and cleaner.

Old 02-05-2010, 11:04 AM

23,444 posts, read 15,976,246 times
Quote:
Haha, ditto. If your going to rank according to destinations, at least get the right ones...

Milwaukee vs. St. Louis
Your comparison to KC?
STLMetro, STL could conceivably be considered a college town.....how many colleges and universities are there?
How would STL rank against Madison? Just sayin'.......

Last edited by kshe95girl; 02-05-2010 at 11:29 AM..

Old 02-05-2010, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjacobeclark View Post
Furthermore,Wisconsin does not have the #1 tourism economy. Wisconsin and Missouri are both around $13, while travelers to Illinois directly spent over $30 billion....

A for effort

Old 02-05-2010, 11:18 AM

2,950 posts, read 1,638,826 times
Quote:

I didn't think Lake of the Ozarks was full of tacky tourist attractions like Branson and Wisconsin Dells were. Perhaps the Chain O' Lakes in Waupaca County would be a better comparison? Not too sure about this one.

Quote:
Either way, Madison vs Jefferson City or Madison vs Columbia, Madison still beats them both with one hand tied behind its back.

Quote:
Milwaukee vs. St. Louis
Milwaukee no question, but STL has some great architecture and important history.

Quote:
Your comparison to KC?
As for something equivalent to KC, Wisconsin doesn't have 2 large metro areas located entirely within the state, but then again, neither does Missouri. STL spills over into Illinois and KC into Kansas, while MSP and Chicago both spill over into Wisconsin.

Milwaukee/Wisconsin FTW.

Old 02-05-2010, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
STLMetro, STL could conceivably be considered a college town.....how many colleges and universities are there?
How would STL rank against STL? Just sayin'.......
Not true, please look at what is considered a college town...

College town - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

If you wanted to compare Madison to a Missouri city, it would be a combination of Jefferson City (capital) and Columbia (college). As it is, Madison is a city of ~200K with a student population over 40K....

Like I said earlier, Missouri and Wisconsin are very comparable, not the blowout the original poster claimed it to be. Sure, people will say which one they like and why, but it's not NYC vs. Hannible here...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City