Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2009, 07:56 AM

1,991 posts, read 3,953,558 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by goozer View Post
Give me America WITH the internet, over America without it. That is the beauty of the web and the global busninesses on it. Nowadays, you can live in the middle of nowhere Alaska, and still order your books off Amazon, download ITunes, etc. You can be nostalgic for the good ole days all you want, but try giving up the internet (and obviously this site) for a year. I suspect it would drive you crazy.
For some of us, it would probably drive us a few pounds lighter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2009, 11:30 AM

1,734 posts, read 5,663,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nafster View Post
New Orleans: Worse (hurricane katrina, crime up, economy down)
New Orleans economy is up after Katrina. More or less because there was no place to go but up in the aftermath. But drug crime is indeed way way up.

But aside from crime, the 90's were a relatively painless decade for New Orleans. The population shrinkage had slowed significantly from the 80's.

Old 06-23-2009, 12:59 AM

421 posts, read 1,560,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by treedonkey View Post
It's really hard to say. My life was so different then, and I lived a long ways from where I am now, so my perception is much different. There are plusses and minuses as far as QoL, but I do feel that right now selfishness is at an all time high and morals are at an all time low.
I agree. The cities may be nicer now, but small town America has gone down the crapper in this decade. In 1990, crime and drugs were a city thing. You moved away from the city to get away from crime. Now, rural America is infested with crystal meth addicts and has a certain level of big city style crime.

The youth culture in 1990 was far more fun, clean, and positive than it is now. I'm glad to have been a youth in 1990, and over thirty in this decade. In 1990, young folks listening to FUN rock music with great guitar solos, and we were always happy, cutting up, and having good clean fun. Now, the youth listen to this menacing, angry, upsetting rap garbage. How can they be happy listening to this senseless anger?? They also dress like inner city gang members, and go around with a horrible attitude and no respect for adults. The "Wayne's World" youth culture of 1990 was far preferable to the immoral, deviant, angry youth culture of 2009 with the gangster wannabes, surly EMO teens, and, it appears, ubiquitous pot smoking. In 1990, we had the TV ad "this is your brain; this is your brain on drugs. any questions??" By the late 90's, it was just filthy rap music and everyone smoking "weed", and having a bad attitude. As far as small town America, I'd go back to 1990 in a heartbeat

Old 06-23-2009, 06:49 AM

1,991 posts, read 3,953,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orwelleaut View Post
The youth culture in 1990 was far more fun, clean, and positive than it is now. I'm glad to have been a youth in 1990, and over thirty in this decade. In 1990, young folks listening to FUN rock music with great guitar solos, and we were always happy, cutting up, and having good clean fun. Now, the youth listen to this menacing, angry, upsetting rap garbage. How can they be happy listening to this senseless anger??
Rockin' beats and killer hooks and stylistic flow. The funny thing is, all generations look on the next generation's music and ask how can they listen to that garbage. The answer is that it is not garbage, it's just a form you don't like. People watch menacing angry violent movies these days and get all into them. The horror genre is intentionally menacing, angry, and violent and has gotten moreso with modern horror, if that were possible. But people still watch for the entertainment value. Same with that menacing angry upsetting rap music you speak of. Some people don't like horror movies, some people don't like violent crime drama, some people don't like rap. I remember older people wondering how us kids in the '80s could listen to all that screaming and noisy rock music and slamming guitars and all that. Rock music in the '80s is like rap music today- the younger people go for it, the older people think it's garbage. Those old fuddy duddies will never be me. I look for the entertainment value in all kinds of music. I can roll with the killer guitar licks in Creed's music as well as the musical flow of JayZee.

What I like more about the '90s than now is that there was less of an entitlement attitude amongst kids and from parents pertaining to kids. If a kid wanted something, it was no guarantee he/she was going to get it. But today parents for example act as if kids HAVE to have a cell phone in grade school or whatever because the kids insist they have to since all their friends do. In trying to make sure their kids don't go wanting for things, parents have created self centered obnoxious brats who have to have what they want, when they want. Parents have tried to become moreso friends with their children than parents to their children, and there wasn't as much of that in the '90s, so kids didn't feel as much that they were entitled to get whatever gadget they wanted, entitled to their "privacy" in their room in a house they don't own and don't pay rent to live in. And more parents act like jerks and fools and even criminals at their children's sporting events these days than in the '90s.

Old 06-23-2009, 07:24 AM

7,971 posts, read 10,539,867 times
North Carolina in 1990. Southern, undiscovered, peaceful, mills, factories and plants still running, plenty of jobs, low cost of living.

North Carolina in 2010. Northen transplants and retirees by the thousands, suburban sprawl and congested traffic around Charlotte and Raleigh, mills, factories and plants all but completely gone, small towns dying, illegal immigrant sanctuary. Still a great place in may ways, though.

Old 06-23-2009, 09:49 AM

1,605 posts, read 3,905,227 times
Quote:
I agree. The cities may be nicer now, but small town America has gone down the crapper in this decade. In 1990, crime and drugs were a city thing. You moved away from the city to get away from crime. Now, rural America is infested with crystal meth addicts and has a certain level of big city style crime.

The youth culture in 1990 was far more fun, clean, and positive than it is now. I'm glad to have been a youth in 1990, and over thirty in this decade. In 1990, young folks listening to FUN rock music with great guitar solos, and we were always happy, cutting up, and having good clean fun. Now, the youth listen to this menacing, angry, upsetting rap garbage. How can they be happy listening to this senseless anger?? They also dress like inner city gang members, and go around with a horrible attitude and no respect for adults. The "Wayne's World" youth culture of 1990 was far preferable to the immoral, deviant, angry youth culture of 2009 with the gangster wannabes, surly EMO teens, and, it appears, ubiquitous pot smoking. In 1990, we had the TV ad "this is your brain; this is your brain on drugs. any questions??" By the late 90's, it was just filthy rap music and everyone smoking "weed", and having a bad attitude. As far as small town America, I'd go back to 1990 in a heartbeat
I was fortunate enough to be raised in the Wayne's World" days of the early 90s as a elementary-school-aged kid. And I do recall the difference heavily. I had more friends, a better social life, and kids my age as well as adults were very chill. Hell, I'd dare say my dating life was probably at a higher point then than it was during my dating life during the 2000s (not that I turned 13 in 2000). Even though the late 90s were slightly more drama-filled "Britney Spears/Boy-Band Era," it was still more tolerable than today's mentality.

Now, it's just horrible. Shallowness and fakeness among people is the standard norm. Anti-intellectualism is at an all time high. People who would've got laughed or beaten out of the party in the 1990s are the main center of the party today. The girls (some as young as 13) go after guys twice their age and attempt to get pregnant intentionally. And it's rare to find a young woman who is either a virgin (which are nearly extinct) or even virginless girls who aren't mega-sluts. Believe it or not, many people even in college (or at least in my state college) carry this "2000s entitlement/Paris Hilton/Lil' Wayne" mentality with them. For those who were fortunate enough to get through your teen and college years during the 90s (even late 90s), be grateful and count your blessings that you don't have to deal with the heart-wrenching mess I have to be fed on a DAILY basis.

Old 06-23-2009, 10:26 AM

542 posts, read 1,492,893 times
Quote:
The youth culture in 1990 was far more fun, clean, and positive than it is now. I'm glad to have been a youth in 1990, and over thirty in this decade. In 1990, young folks listening to FUN rock music with great guitar solos, and we were always happy, cutting up, and having good clean fun. Now, the youth listen to this menacing, angry, upsetting rap garbage. How can they be happy listening to this senseless anger?? They also dress like inner city gang members, and go around with a horrible attitude and no respect for adults.
I don't know what kind of world you were living in, but that's far from what it actually was. Music in the 1990s was just like it is today. The only difference is that it sounded better. Kids were just as entitled, disrespectful, and such in the 90s, the only difference is that the parents didn't completely bend to their will. All that "fun" rock music was filled with lyrics about nothing in particular, consuming drugs, and pushing you towards suicide. It's called Grunge. Good clean fun, eh? Of course rap music contains some of these elements, unfortunately, but it's always scrutinized when the same ill-effects can be found throughout any musical genre. And just for the record, most rap is directed anger, to an extent. But you and many others are too hung up on yourself, and judging what appears to be on the outsidde to ever understand why.

Old 06-23-2009, 05:47 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,282,550 times
Plus column:
1) Even with the recent melt down, there is more money and wealth now than 19 years ago
2) As noted above, a number of inner city areas have improved
3) The internet
4) A clean environment is largely a given now, and serious pollution essentially gone

Minus column:
1) Assimilation has failed and we grow more and more balkanized (a salad bowl versus a melting pot). And based on this, illegal immigration has become a much larger issue.
2) The obsession with globalization 1990 - mid 2000s made us have less of a national spirit, and we lost something from our souls. (However, since the mid 2000s, globalization has partially failed, but the damage may have already been done)
3) The schisms between rural and urban, between coastal "hip zones" and interior "Main Streets," and between those who are materialistic versus those who realize there is more to life, have gotten out of control.
4) While as noted in the plus column we've cleaned up much environmental destruction, a majority of Americans have been smitten by a quasi religious fervor which is borderline Gaia worship, something that is beyond the realm of reason. Hysteria regarding anthropogenic global warming (to the degree it even dominates the climate, a topic warranting scientific debate) has resulted in some highly negative group think and borderline totalitarian thought patterns.

Old 06-23-2009, 07:30 PM

3,092 posts, read 4,938,292 times
TV was better in the 90s and the NBA still had some shreds of dignity left. But other than that give me the 2000s.

Old 06-23-2009, 10:26 PM

1,373 posts, read 3,110,291 times
The year 1990 itself seems more 80s to me than like the rest of the 90s ... maybe that's just me?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City