Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2007, 12:45 AM
x4fscvdvd

n/a posts

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdavid93225 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by junkman18
Friends, the more I study Bible History, the more I am amazed at its accuracy as a history book. Critics of the Bible who claim that it is full of contradictions have been proven wrong again and again. Careful study has shown that the Bible is the most accurate history book ever written. All of ancient history should be rewritten to accord with the Bible, not vice-versa.

Huh? What is it that you are referring to that is "completely false?"
Exactly what I quoted.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2007, 06:30 AM

3,982 posts, read 10,462,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy8010 View Post
Would people stop including Atlanta in this discussion ? Atlanta is NOT a large city. There are around 470,000 people in Atlanta.
but over 5 million in the area. city pops dont matter anymore, its the area that does....

Old 04-18-2007, 09:14 PM

942 posts, read 1,392,653 times
I hear it about Portland all the time, but in all honesty, there is alot of fundamentalist type religions here, and now with the large influx of Russians, some 150,000, they are evangelical christians. There are alot here that are not into religion, myself included, but alot are, in fact we have had some problems with several employees at work, that have had to be told they can not preach during work hours, I was surprised just how much religion talk went on in Portland. If the south includes Austin, I would have to go with that one as least religious

Old 04-19-2007, 04:26 AM

1,417 posts, read 6,908,289 times
Live and let live. You've got religious AND non-religious "zellots" in society from MANY differing viewpoints, take your pick. I've been around many from BOTH sides and one's no worse than the other. To choose one over the other as being the "worse" is a bit silly. Just remember "tollerance" and "diversity" work both ways. Otherwise, it's the height of hypocracy.

Old 06-06-2007, 05:02 PM

1 posts, read 2,604 times
Could you be so kind as to post the original list? I can't find a link to it. Seriously, my circulation is being cut off by the bible belt surrounding me....

Old 06-06-2007, 08:50 PM

15 posts, read 41,641 times
Portland, Oregon. Big time. That city is breathtakingly secular. Phoenix, Vegas, Seattle, and Atlanta could all be good choices, too.

Old 06-06-2007, 09:59 PM

644 posts, read 3,321,058 times
You're going to hell for starting this thread. I just felt the earth rumble. Damn you!!!

Old 06-06-2007, 11:34 PM

Perhaps the question should be: What cities are most "live and let live?"

Atlanta is religious but is pretty open about homosexuality and stuff like that.

Generally, the middle of the country--even Minneapolis and Chicago--are less open to "alternative lifestyles." My experience in Denver and then on the West Coast is that it isn't about religion as much as it's about tradition and morals and, obviously, different ways of doing religion. Denver is religious, conservative, and can be downright forcefull about it. Don't dare step outside the societal norms! The West Coast has lots of churches and religious folks--but there's more tolerance for non-traditional lifestyles.

You can argue that this is good or bad--but there's little disputing the facts of the matter.

Old 06-07-2007, 08:34 AM

774 posts, read 2,496,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MileHighSigh View Post
Perhaps the question should be: What cities are most "live and let live?"

Atlanta is religious but is pretty open about homosexuality and stuff like that.

Generally, the middle of the country--even Minneapolis and Chicago--are less open to "alternative lifestyles." My experience in Denver and then on the West Coast is that it isn't about religion as much as it's about tradition and morals and, obviously, different ways of doing religion. Denver is religious, conservative, and can be downright forcefull about it. Don't dare step outside the societal norms! The West Coast has lots of churches and religious folks--but there's more tolerance for non-traditional lifestyles.

You can argue that this is good or bad--but there's little disputing the facts of the matter.
Has anyone here seen Boystown in Chicago? That's about as open as you can get when it comes to "alternative lifestyles". I can't speak for Minneapolis, but Chicago is as liberal as they come. The Catholic Church still has a bit of sway in the city (as it does in other urban areas with high concentrations of ethnic Europeans such as NYC, Boston and Philly), but there's hardly any of the evangelical sect here.

Old 06-07-2007, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank the Tank View Post
Has anyone here seen Boystown in Chicago? That's about as open as you can get when it comes to "alternative lifestyles". I can't speak for Minneapolis, but Chicago is as liberal as they come. The Catholic Church still has a bit of sway in the city (as it does in other urban areas with high concentrations of ethnic Europeans such as NYC, Boston and Philly), but there's hardly any of the evangelical sect here.
Okay, then, I take it back. But realize that just one neighborhood in a giant city doesn't exactly make the whole town that way.

I can't speak personally about Minneapolis--though it is liberal I'm told it is pretty white bread.

Denver I can speak to--and it is not a secular, tolerant city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City