U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2007, 10:54 AM

763 posts, read 2,227,414 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileHighSigh View Post
Okay, then, I take it back. But realize that just one neighborhood in a giant city doesn't exactly make the whole town that way.

I can't speak personally about Minneapolis--though it is liberal I'm told it is pretty white bread.

Denver I can speak to--and it is not a secular, tolerant city.
Absolutely - one neighborhood certainly doesn't make a whole town a certain way. If you go to a lot of the classic "blue-collar" neighborhoods in Chicago, there's going to be a lot different attitude toward "alternative lifestyles". That being said, Chicago hosted the Gay Games last year at Wrigley Field and Soldier Field, so at the very least, the city's attitude overall has to be more toward the liberal side to put on such a huge alternative event.

I certainly didn't mean to be snippy - as a Chicagoan, I just always take umbrage to getting lumped into the perceived definitions of much of the rest of the Midwest since I think the city is more of an outlier in the region and has more in common with the coastal cities in terms of the economy and politics.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2007, 12:41 PM

142 posts, read 934,141 times
Default Portland Oregon

We would rather be in a pub than a church!

Old 06-07-2007, 01:13 PM

6,595 posts, read 11,649,228 times
I would say New York, Los Angeles, San Francisco, and Boston.

Old 06-07-2007, 02:56 PM

1,964 posts, read 5,659,493 times
Seattle, San Francisco, Portland.

Cities with some religon, but little evangelical- Boston, NY, LA

I'm not a fan of organized religion, so I completely understand this person's interest in a less religious area.

Old 06-07-2007, 03:02 PM

10,189 posts, read 24,484,350 times
Cautionary note on the big, big cities: While New York is not obviously a religious city, in recent years it is evident that more people are actively and publicly reading the bible (subways and buses) so I think it is a matter of neighbourhoods and communities within a city, not the city itself, that can qualify as religious or non-religious.

Old 06-07-2007, 03:43 PM

5,117 posts, read 10,042,368 times
Religious fanatics would definitely turn me off. Nothing worse than those in your face evangelical types. If you "find religion", great, but please keep it to yourself and leave me alone....

Old 06-07-2007, 04:56 PM

5,654 posts, read 13,617,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MileHighSigh View Post
Okay, then, I take it back. But realize that just one neighborhood in a giant city doesn't exactly make the whole town that way.

I can't speak personally about Minneapolis--though it is liberal I'm told it is pretty white bread.

Denver I can speak to--and it is not a secular, tolerant city.
If the question is least religious, don't include Minneapolis. There is a huge Catholic population (moreso in St Paul, but same metro), huge Lutheran population, huge Muslim population and generous portions of mainline protestants and Jews. Not a whole lot of evangelicals.

If the question is liberal (as you seem to have made it), DO include Minneapolis.

I think many of the posters in this thread are relying on stereotypes in their assessment of a city's religiousness.

Old 02-12-2008, 10:45 PM

169 posts, read 361,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallstreet1986 View Post
I find it sad that you want a nonreligious city. You are turning your back against a wonderful aspect of life that you would gain much from being part of.

What a wonderful aspect of life.

Old 02-12-2008, 10:57 PM

169 posts, read 361,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by friendnc View Post
Live and let live. You've got religious AND non-religious "zellots" in society from MANY differing viewpoints, take your pick. I've been around many from BOTH sides and one's no worse than the other.

Trust me. One's worse than the other.

Old 02-13-2008, 07:34 AM

31,598 posts, read 53,188,262 times
The Salt Lake Metro is the most religiously oriented metro I can think of. I think its no exagerration to say that a majority of that area are devoutly religious.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or