Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which City?
Seattle 72 58.06%
Los Angeles 52 41.94%
Voters: 124. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2015, 01:19 AM

2,985 posts, read 4,854,575 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calisonn View Post
It's funny how Gatsby and Pwright have completely flipped sides.
This is actually very funny to re-read. Nice find!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2015, 01:44 AM

1,932 posts, read 2,448,203 times
Seattle for me.
I live in LA, not a huge fan. Think it's extremely overrated and i'm trying to leave. It just doesn't really feel like a city to me, but more so 43 cities mashed into one big metropolis. Seattle just has so much more to offer in my opinion. I still respect LA a lot but it's just not my type of city.

Old 09-25-2015, 12:08 PM

99 posts, read 115,626 times
Seattle!

Old 09-25-2015, 12:13 PM

1,227 posts, read 1,581,118 times
I've lived in both. I kind of miss Seattle, except during NFL season (mostly because I'm a 49er fan), but since school and family and close friends are here, I like LA a bit more.

I wouldn't mind living in Seattle again though. I hope by the time I get back, Aurora won't be a god-awful nightmare and they'll either take the toll of 520 or add a toll to I-90. It makes no sense why one isn't tolled and why one is.

Old 09-25-2015, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lets Eat Candy View Post
I've lived in both. I kind of miss Seattle, except during NFL season (mostly because I'm a 49er fan), but since school and family and close friends are here, I like LA a bit more.

I wouldn't mind living in Seattle again though. I hope by the time I get back, Aurora won't be a god-awful nightmare and they'll either take the toll of 520 or add a toll to I-90. It makes no sense why one isn't tolled and why one is.
Sorry to give you this news, but there was a disastrous car accident yesterday on the Aurora Bridge involving one of the Ride the Duck vehicles and a bus. 50 injured, 5 killed. Aurora Bridge has been shut down due to the traffic accident tragedy, so Aurora is a complete mess.

Old 09-25-2015, 12:24 PM

1,227 posts, read 1,581,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GatsbyGatz View Post
Sorry to give you this news, but there was a disastrous car accident yesterday on the Aurora Bridge involving one of the Ride the Duck vehicles and a bus. 50 injured, 5 killed. Aurora Bridge has been shut down due to the traffic accident tragedy, so Aurora is a complete mess.
Yeah I saw that on my Facebook feed. RIP to the killed :/

I'm sure I've complained about Aurora a lot on CD, but really, it is the worst planned road in existence. Either make it a freeway or make it a city street. It's like a half/half kind of street that seems more common out east than it does on the West Coast. It's insanely unsafe to drive on if you don't know the area, and if you're coming from Ballard, Fremont, Wallingford and anything west of I-5, you almost have to take it if you were to go south since I-5 usually doesn't move. PROTIP: Don't drive in the right lane unless you're going to Queen Anne.

Though I think the light rail is going to extend to UW and Wallingford relatively soon, so if I were to ever go back, I could simply light rail it until I'm not too cheap to get a place closer to Downtown.

When I get there, I get there.

LA kinda has those roads in spurts, but they aren't in any major area IIRC. The closest I can think of is La Cienega between Jefferson and Slauson, but that goes through the Baldwin Hills. LA is just insanely congested, and the East LA interchange could use a whole lot of TLC. Other than that, get your language tapes ready because you might as well learn Mandarin while sitting in traffic. (unless you take the Metro, which I do)

Old 09-25-2015, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lets Eat Candy View Post
Yeah I saw that on my Facebook feed. RIP to the killed :/

I'm sure I've complained about Aurora a lot on CD, but really, it is the worst planned road in existence. Either make it a freeway or make it a city street. It's like a half/half kind of street that seems more common out east than it does on the West Coast. It's insanely unsafe to drive on if you don't know the area, and if you're coming from Ballard, Fremont, Wallingford and anything west of I-5, you almost have to take it if you were to go south since I-5 usually doesn't move. PROTIP: Don't drive in the right lane unless you're going to Queen Anne.

Though I think the light rail is going to extend to UW and Wallingford relatively soon, so if I were to ever go back, I could simply light rail it until I'm not too cheap to get a place closer to Downtown.

When I get there, I get there.

LA kinda has those roads in spurts, but they aren't in any major area IIRC. The closest I can think of is La Cienega between Jefferson and Slauson, but that goes through the Baldwin Hills. LA is just insanely congested, and the East LA interchange could use a whole lot of TLC. Other than that, get your language tapes ready because you might as well learn Mandarin while sitting in traffic. (unless you take the Metro, which I do)
I absolutely agree with you 100% on Aurora. It's basically a street pretending to be a freeway. It's hideous, dangerous, creates congestion, and fails to adequately operate as either a street or a freeway. In short, Aurora is probably the single worst feature in Seattle. Aurora might have been a cool little drive back in the 50's during America's love affair with car culture, what with all the googie architecture, strip malls, and motels. But today, it's an unsightly mess. I can't wait until the city finally gives Aurora a road diet (because there are businesses along the highway, it will never be converted into a freeway at this point). Unfortunately, that won't likely happen until 2080 at this rate.

Old 11-11-2015, 06:09 PM

1 posts, read 2,191 times
I think Seattle is breath taking. I was raised in California born in Washington. However, loving California as I do. I crave more nature scenery. And unless, you drive up North or down the coast there truly isn't any as Washington has. Look around there and you find huge trees and green green green beauty all around. I personally am ready for a change, I think I am going to give my birth state a chance

Old 11-11-2015, 06:52 PM

5,861 posts, read 15,173,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calisonn View Post
It's funny how Gatsby and Pwright have completely flipped sides.
What on earth are you talking about? I love both cities. Life was great in Seattle and its even better here in LA.

Old 11-11-2015, 08:08 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,730,687 times
Both are beautiful in their own ways. Preference is determined by other things, like weather or cost of living. You definitely pay for what you get for. So it isn't that complicated...pay for nice view home in Seattle for about 1.2, or pay for a view home in LA for about 5-8. So what matters to you? A nice home with a nice view at a lower price in Seattle, or a nice home with a nice view for 5-8 in LA? Either choice, buy an earthquake policy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City