Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2010, 01:43 PM

804 posts, read 2,401,919 times

Advertisements

The Getty is truely a remarkable cultured facility.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2010, 02:02 PM

179 posts, read 402,555 times
I don't understand why the Art Institute of Chicago isn't on here. Or even the Guggenheim.
And also why the MoMA is ranked higher than the MET? The MoMA has quite a bit of junk in their collection while most of the pieces at the MET are timeless. I saw a piece at the MoMA which was a canvas painted blue; that's it. The "painting" was called Blue, or something. How original. And then later, in another part of the museum, I saw a canvas painted red...
Smithsonian is also amazing btw. Never been to the National Gallery of Art though...

Old 07-22-2010, 03:49 PM
Status: "From 31 to 41 Countries Visited: )" (set 6 days ago)

4,640 posts, read 13,917,464 times
To giantssfan: I agree with what you said about the Moma vs. the met.

I have been to the Moma, The Met, and the Guggenheim in NYC and enjoyed them all.
I also like the Seattle Art Museum and Seattle asian art museum in Seattle.

Its great to see another Native New Yorker being able to see great cities and culture exists in many other places other than NYC and caring about places too. (Based on your post in the Seattle vs. Atlanta vs. Charlotte vs.Austin thread.) It seems like a majority of New Yorkers are actually like us.

Old 07-22-2010, 04:44 PM

11,998 posts, read 12,931,071 times
The Barnes Foundation outside Philadelphia is a really interesting place and is in the process of being relocated a few blocks from the Philadelphia Museum of Art.
From Wiki:
The Barnes Foundation is an educational art institution in Lower Merion Township, a suburb of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania in the United States. It was founded in 1922 by Albert C. Barnes, who collected art after making a fortune by co-developing an early antimicrobial drug marketed as Argyrol.
Today, the Foundation possesses more than 2500 objects, including 800 paintings estimated to be worth about $25 billion.[1] Among its collection are 181 works by Pierre-Auguste Renoir, 69 by Paul Cézanne, and 59 by Henri Matisse, as well as numerous other masters, including Giorgio de Chirico, Paul Gauguin, El Greco, Francisco Goya, Edouard Manet, Amedeo Modigliani, Jean Hugo, Claude Monet, Pablo Picasso, Maurice Utrillo, Vincent Van Gogh, Maurice Prendergast, and a variety of African artworks, ancient Egyptian, Greek, and Roman art, and American and European decorative arts and metalwork.

Old 07-22-2010, 05:00 PM

8,489 posts, read 20,639,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
The Barnes Foundation outside Philadelphia is a really interesting place and is in the process of being relocated a few blocks from the Philadelphia Museum of Art.
From Wiki:
The Barnes Foundation is an educational art institution in Lower Merion Township, a suburb of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania in the United States. It was founded in 1922 by Albert C. Barnes, who collected art after making a fortune by co-developing an early antimicrobial drug marketed as Argyrol.
Today, the Foundation possesses more than 2500 objects, including 800 paintings estimated to be worth about $25 billion.[1] Among its collection are 181 works by Pierre-Auguste Renoir, 69 by Paul Cézanne, and 59 by Henri Matisse, as well as numerous other masters, including Giorgio de Chirico, Paul Gauguin, El Greco, Francisco Goya, Edouard Manet, Amedeo Modigliani, Jean Hugo, Claude Monet, Pablo Picasso, Maurice Utrillo, Vincent Van Gogh, Maurice Prendergast, and a variety of African artworks, ancient Egyptian, Greek, and Roman art, and American and European decorative arts and metalwork.
Do you work for Wikipedia?

Edit: Never mind, just saw you just cut and pasted the wiki article for the Barnes Foundation.

Old 07-23-2010, 01:10 PM

179 posts, read 402,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaturalUrbanBalence View Post
To giantssfan: I agree with what you said about the Moma vs. the met.

I have been to the Moma, The Met, and the Guggenheim in NYC and enjoyed them all.
I also like the Seattle Art Museum and Seattle asian art museum in Seattle.

Its great to see another Native New Yorker being able to see great cities and culture exists in many other places other than NYC and caring about places too. (Based on your post in the Seattle vs. Atlanta vs. Charlotte vs.Austin thread.) It seems like a majority of New Yorkers are actually like us.
Definitely! I mean, I do think NY is the capital of the world :P But I love some other cities. And I'm a huge fan of California! I'm actually thinking about moving there. And Chicago too! Although it's a bit cold.

And I also think the Smithsonian should be higher. On a side note, the Louvre blows all of these museums out of the water :O

Old 07-23-2010, 02:15 PM

93,255 posts, read 123,898,066 times
Albright-Knox in Buffalo supposedly is a sleeper....Albright-Knox Art Gallery

Old 07-23-2010, 02:25 PM

1,694 posts, read 3,622,115 times
The Blanton Museum here in Austin is supposed to be good

Blanton Museum of Art : University of Texas at Austin

Old 07-23-2010, 02:26 PM

37,131 posts, read 39,380,764 times
MOMA ahead of the Met, that's a laugh.

Old 07-23-2010, 02:26 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,910,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
From Wiki:

Yes this will basically put the Philly Art Museum, Rodin, and Barnes all right next to one another on the parkway. The Barnes is amazing, probably the single greatest collection of Renior in the world. Also Barnes has the full version of Chicago's Sunday Afternoon embedded in his Models Georges Seurat: Models

Plus the original Rodin thinker right next door
Rodin Museum
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City