Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2009, 10:57 AM

3,260 posts, read 8,760,563 times

Advertisements

Dallas high School the first public high school in Dallas,TX built in 1907. The school is located in Downtown Dallas half of the school was torn down to make way for the dart light rail system. Now the rest of the school just sits there!!

First photos removed by Moderator - please post only photos that YOU have taken due to copyright issues.

Last edited by atlantagreg30127; 06-08-2009 at 09:09 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2009, 11:26 AM

1,107 posts, read 3,070,674 times
Michigan Central Station (Detroit's Union Station)

Flickr: raydumas1 (http://www.flickr.com/people/rtdphotography/ - broken link)

Entrance to the Abandoned Michigan Central Train Depot on Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/detroitderek/2856789560/ - broken link)
Grand Hall - Michigan Central Depot on Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/radiospike/3129212033/ - broken link)
Well, it USED to be a train station.... on Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/detroitderek/1096881715/ - broken link)
Michigan Central Depot on Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/kbreenbo/1517166840/ - broken link)

Old 06-06-2009, 10:38 PM

5,509 posts, read 9,488,459 times
The Liberty-Paramount Theater will probably be torn down within the next year.

Old 06-07-2009, 12:20 PM

4,574 posts, read 7,498,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JR_C View Post
That's so beautiful. They should convert it into lofts.

Old 06-08-2009, 12:49 PM

1,008 posts, read 3,391,140 times
Up until last year, this was the most endangered building in Jackson, the King Edward Hotel. It sat abandoned for over 40 years.

It is now under renovation and should look something like this at the end of this year.
Removed by moderator. Please DO NOT post architect renderings due to copyright issues. Post only photos that YOU have taken.

Last edited by atlantagreg30127; 06-08-2009 at 09:10 PM..

Old 06-08-2009, 01:30 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,466,576 times
I know this is a futuristic question, but Lexington is in a rage right now over the demolition of an entire block of 1830s buildings for a skyscraper that may NEVER be built. The site including one of Henry Clay's law offices

The demolition in 2007

This is what the site has looked like for 2 years. The developer actually blames the delay on the "death of an anonymous Europe donor who died w/o a will." Plans are actually underway now to fill the site with dirt to make it look better during next year's world equestrian games.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/9/9e/CentrePointLex.jpg (broken link)

Old 06-08-2009, 04:39 PM

5,812 posts, read 18,826,047 times
In St. Louis...

I would have picked the Kiel Opera House, but it's beginning renovation.
Municipal Courts Building has a renovation plan, though nothing has started.
A few others are still empty - Arcade Building, Chemical Building.
A lot of North St. Louis is in jeopardy, and has been destroyed in the hands of Paul McKee.
Some St. Louis School buildings are under threat.
And there's Dillards and the St. Louis Centre Mall.
There have been a few closed churches that have seen some damage and are in danger.

If I picked a part of the city in most danger, I would choose North St. Louis.

As far as a specific building, I can think of a few that are probably in danger, but there's not currently one building that jumps out at me.

Of this:
http://builtstlouis.net/crumble00.html (http://builtstlouis.net/crumble00.html1 - broken link). City Hospital is now the Georgian Condominiums.
2. The Arcade Building is still empty.
3. The Syndicate-Trust has been renovated. Syndicate - Located in Downtown St. Louis, MO 63101
4. The Kiel Opera House is undergoing renovation
5. I don't know much about Shriner's Hospital
6. As far as I know, Carr School is still crumbling
7. I believe Cass Avenue Bank is still in trouble.
8. Paul McKee has plans for the Clemens house, but McKee has the track record of letting homes he owns crumble.
9. The Avalon theater is facing demolition, and no one seems to know who actually owns it.
11. The San Luis is safe for now.
12. I believe MacArthur Bridge is still in danger.

But no one building sticks out to me.

In my little town, there's a 2-story red brick building which hasn't been used in decades. I wouldn't be surprised to see it torn down.

Old 06-08-2009, 05:43 PM

1,263 posts, read 4,008,520 times
This one is just a box with some decorations, and in very bad condition. I have no problem it will be torn down.

Quote:

Old 06-08-2009, 06:16 PM

5,509 posts, read 9,488,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fashionguy View Post
This one is just a box with some decorations, and in very bad condition. I have no problem it will be torn down.
I never said it was a great building. (though it is a good building - Liberty/Paramount Theatre - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia) - it's just most endangered right now. Also, it's much better than a parking lot and the exposed blank side of the neighboring building. Lastly, it will be another piece of Youngstown's ever-decreasing architectural character that will be gone forever.

Old 06-08-2009, 06:48 PM

1,263 posts, read 4,008,520 times
It was just some comments on the building itself. Never meant to say it is not proper in this thread. Sorry if it conveyed the wrong information.

Quote:
I never said it was a great building. (though it is a good building - Liberty/Paramount Theatre - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia) - it's just most endangered right now. Also, it's much better than a parking lot and the exposed blank side of the neighboring building. Lastly, it will be another piece of Youngstown's ever-decreasing architectural character that will be gone forever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City