U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-06-2009, 06:57 PM
 
Location: New Albany, Indiana (Greater Louisville)
9,583 posts, read 20,456,271 times
Reputation: 9077

Advertisements

Table: U.S. States Ranked by Life Expectancy

By net life expectancy

1. Hawaii 80.8 years
2. Minnesota 78.8
3-T. Utah 78.7
3-T. Connecticut 78.7
5. Massachusetts 78.4

....

45-T. Kentucky 75.1
45-T. Oklahoma 75.1
45-T. Arkansas 75.1
46-T. Tennessee 75.1
46-T. West Virginia 75.1
48. South Carolina 74.8
49. Louisiana 74.2
50. Mississippi 73.6
51. District of Columbia 72

Death by Cancer Rate per 100,000 per year
USA LIFE EXPECTANCY

1. Kentucky 218.21
2. Tennessee 209.28
3. Louisiana
4. West Virginia
5. Mississippi

....

49. Colorado 158.72
50. Hawaii 151.39
51. Utah 136.91
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-08-2009, 09:57 PM
 
Location: Victoria TX
42,668 posts, read 71,523,609 times
Reputation: 35864
Twelve states are lower than Mexico. All states are lower than Fance and Italy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-08-2009, 10:44 PM
 
Location: Tri-Cities, TN
149 posts, read 350,908 times
Reputation: 60
Well Tri-Cities, Tennessee has the highest rate of smokers in the country, as well as the highest depression rate, so the rankings don't surprise me one bit honestly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-09-2009, 05:31 AM
 
Location: Spain
1,855 posts, read 4,167,673 times
Reputation: 940
Hawaii is number 1? That's surprising to me. Hawaiians have a reputation (true or not) of having the worst diets in the U.S. Perhaps it's the high number of Japanese people residing there (Japanese have a long life expectancy) that raises the state average.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-09-2009, 07:19 AM
 
925 posts, read 2,228,746 times
Reputation: 523
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDX_LAX View Post
Hawaii is number 1? That's surprising to me. Hawaiians have a reputation (true or not) of having the worst diets in the U.S. Perhaps it's the high number of Japanese people residing there (Japanese have a long life expectancy) that raises the state average.
That relates to most of it.

Hawaii has lots of Asians, which have the highest life expectency. Southern states have the most blacks, which have the lowest life expectency. Hence, the states will correlate/trend according to the demographics of their population.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-10-2009, 01:25 AM
 
Location: 30-40N 90-100W
13,856 posts, read 22,232,709 times
Reputation: 6657
The indigenous people of Hawaii do have high obesity rates, but they're a minority of all Hawaiians.

It's not precisely the same, but I would guess some Indian Reservations in North Dakota have fairly low life expectancies yet the state overall is in the top ten highest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-09-2010, 08:17 AM
 
Location: Everywhere
234 posts, read 603,260 times
Reputation: 104
This is not supposed to be offensive in ANY WAY:

I firmly believe that there is a BLATANT correlation between Mormons (LDS) and the high life expectancy and low cancer rate in Utah. Mormons don't drink alcohol, I am not sure what else they don't consume but whatever they're doing is obviously healthy.

Alcohol does cause cancer, so it makes sense!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-09-2010, 08:38 AM
 
Location: The Queen City
444 posts, read 1,006,694 times
Reputation: 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Twelve states are lower than Mexico. All states are lower than Fance and Italy.
What do you mean?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-09-2010, 08:50 AM
 
Location: 30-40N 90-100W
13,856 posts, read 22,232,709 times
Reputation: 6657
Quote:
Originally Posted by ak.nessa View Post
This is not supposed to be offensive in ANY WAY:

I firmly believe that there is a BLATANT correlation between Mormons (LDS) and the high life expectancy and low cancer rate in Utah. Mormons don't drink alcohol, I am not sure what else they don't consume but whatever they're doing is obviously healthy.

Alcohol does cause cancer, so it makes sense!
I think a greater issue is that alcohol consumption relates to liver problems and fatal accidents. Anyway I do think the Mormon lifestyle is healthy as is the Seventh Day Adventist lifestyle. I don't think it's offensive to say that. Neither statement is really validating their theology or anything.

The original deal might be out of date though because the UN lists overall US life expectancy at 79.1 although the CIA Factbook lists it at 78.11. Still even that's higher than 36 or so states they list.

Human Development Report 2009 - Life expectancy at birth (years)
https://www.cia.gov/library/publicat.../2102rank.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-09-2010, 11:20 AM
 
Location: Tennessee
33,948 posts, read 32,373,038 times
Reputation: 49871
Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
Table: U.S. States Ranked by Life Expectancy

By net life expectancy

1. Hawaii 80.8 years
2. Minnesota 78.8
3-T. Utah 78.7
3-T. Connecticut 78.7
5. Massachusetts 78.4

....

45-T. Kentucky 75.1
45-T. Oklahoma 75.1
45-T. Arkansas 75.1
46-T. Tennessee 75.1
46-T. West Virginia 75.1
48. South Carolina 74.8
49. Louisiana 74.2
50. Mississippi 73.6
51. District of Columbia 72


I don't understand the life expectancy list. Does it mean if you are born there today, that's the age you can expect to live to or is it based on who lives there now?

You know, if you lived in Hawaii all your life and then move to Mississippi, does your life expectancy go down? How about vice versa?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top