Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which area do you think has the brightest future ahead of it?
Cincinnati 28 17.39%
Columbus 26 16.15%
Indianapolis 22 13.66%
Louisville 22 13.66%
Pittsburgh 53 32.92%
Dunno 10 6.21%
Voters: 161. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2009, 07:21 AM

8,977 posts, read 17,277,221 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheProf View Post
While, in my mind, Pittsburgh has the others clearly beat, I'd put Louisville slightly ahead of Indy -- even though Louisville is smaller, it's got more 'flava' with the Ky Blue Grass thing -- plus, in terms of bigtime annual races, I'll take the Kentucky Derby (more history, culture) than the Indy 500.
I am not so big on either of the major races........ give me MotoGP

I do like Louisville. Sadly, I HATE Kentucky. The only time I ever visit KY is to visit Louisville or Newport; and always wearing my Indiana pride on my sleeve.

I think all of the cities offer something, these threads where people feel the need to tear the other places down to build one up is pointless and overdone. I will obviously boost Indy, but I like the others as well (except C-bus, never been). Indy has good urban neighborhoods and unique architecture, albiet on a small scale. Louisville does too. The Highlands are great. Old Louisville is great. But so is Irvington and Fountain Square in Indy; and Mt. Adams and Northside in Cincinnati; and Squirrel Hill in Pitt.

To say Louisivlle, Indy and Columbus don't belong in the same conversation is ridiculous. Perhaps in your mind that is the case, but people are choosing with their feet, and Indy and Louisville are both growing. (Pitt may be too, I don't really know, and I don't really care either)

The future is quite bright in Indy and Louisville!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2009, 07:51 AM

6,749 posts, read 22,074,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Toast View Post
I do like Louisville. Sadly, I HATE Kentucky. The only time I ever visit KY is to visit Louisville or Newport; and always wearing my Indiana pride on my sleeve.
That's funny, I only go to Indiana to visit my sister or go to Bass pro lol Other than that, I avoid it all together lol

Old 07-12-2009, 08:14 AM

3,004 posts, read 5,147,548 times
Pitt has changed a lot for the better the last time I visited. As far as bright outlook, Louisville is trying to make some very positive gains. Cincy, I've just never been a fan of. Indianapolis is as always making strides. Lucas Oil Field, the convention center expansion and new 36 story high rise hotel going up on the west end of downtown. The only thing Indy is failing to do and just won't is develop the east end of downtown. Sure you have lockerbie but it needs some height to it as everything is central and west.

Old 07-12-2009, 09:00 AM

37,127 posts, read 39,337,475 times
Maybe Pittsburgh, though it's metro is the only one of the choices that's gone through negative growth for this decade.

The city has two very well-known colleges and is about to host a G20 world summit, so it's getting a fair bit of attention.

Old 07-12-2009, 06:22 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,462,489 times
Percent population growth for each's metro area since 2000

Indianapolis +12.48%
Columbus +9.95%
Cincinnati +7.24%
Louisville +7.13%
Pittsburgh -3.29%
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Table_of_United_States_Metropolitan_Statistical_Ar eas

Percent of residents with a Bachelor's Degree (per county each city is in)

Columbus 31.8%
Cincinnati 29.2%
Pittsburgh 28.8%
Indianapolis 25.4%
Louisville 24.8%

Old 07-17-2009, 12:44 PM

4 posts, read 8,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkratze1 View Post
The city of Cincinnati is putting over a billion dollars into new development with "The Banks" project, Queen City Square, renovated convention center, two new stadiums. On top of that Cincnnati and Dayton are growing together and will be counted as one metro area by the 2010 census.
Actually, it should be considered one metro area now.

Old 07-17-2009, 01:03 PM

13,255 posts, read 12,120,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Toast View Post
I am not so big on either of the major races........ give me MotoGP

I think all of the cities offer something, these threads where people feel the need to tear the other places down to build one up is pointless and overdone. I will obviously boost Indy, but I like the others as well (except C-bus, never been). Indy has good urban neighborhoods and unique architecture, albiet on a small scale. Louisville does too. The Highlands are great. Old Louisville is great. But so is Irvington and Fountain Square in Indy; and Mt. Adams and Northside in Cincinnati; and Squirrel Hill in Pitt.

To say Louisivlle, Indy and Columbus don't belong in the same conversation is ridiculous. Perhaps in your mind that is the case, but people are choosing with their feet, and Indy and Louisville are both growing. (Pitt may be too, I don't really know, and I don't really care either)

The future is quite bright in Indy and Louisville!
Don't throw stones in glass houses.

Old 07-17-2009, 04:53 PM

6,485 posts, read 12,529,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
Don't throw stones in glass houses.
Here we come with the Chicago hate for Indiana. I guess it helps them deal with their past as a meat-packing town.

Old 07-18-2009, 10:49 AM

13,255 posts, read 12,120,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grmasterb View Post
Here we come with the Chicago hate for Indiana. I guess it helps them deal with their past as a meat-packing town.
I'm from KY originally and my parents are meat packers.

My dislike for Indiana has more to do with Indianapolis (where I have lots of family), Fort Wayne, and the miles upon miles of corn fields driving down I-65.

So it has nothing to do with me being a Chicagoan now. Indiana just sucks.

Last edited by Gtownoe; 07-18-2009 at 11:23 AM..

Old 07-18-2009, 11:22 AM

4,383 posts, read 16,759,177 times
I think Pittsburgh and Cincinnati have the brightest future. So much going for them and population trends seem to be changing
Louisville too
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City