Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2009, 12:20 PM

3,198 posts, read 12,711,383 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by theavrock View Post
On a great note, we have decided on Albuquerque. It was a really tough decision between Austin and Albuquerque but in the end ABQ won out. We came to the decision a little less than two weeks ago and I already had a second phone interview for a position down there. Also my lady has a great lead on doing some dancing in Santa Fe so it seems that all signs are confirming that this was the right decision for us.
Congrats!! Wow, I am jealous! However, if it can't be me, I am happy another Milwaukeean gets the exciting move! Austin seems to be a nice town in many respects...I have never been there, however, am going for a professional conference this fall for the first time and look forward to it. I do know though that I would far prefer the year-round weather / climate in Albuquerque, and the vistas / views with the mountains and valleys of ABQ too. Plus, the size of ABQ seems to be more congruent with my strong desires, as well as cost of living.

Just give ABQ a real chance and get excited about its possibilities. It is very unique, and very different than Milwaukee and many other related towns. It is so great...for the right people.

Quote:
Enjoy EP said previously that if one were considering Nob Hill then one could also conceivably consider Downtown as well. What are the pockets of downtown that are residential with things to do?
Well, Downtown isn't massive in ABQ, so I wouldn't look for "pockets" per se. Hopefully someone else here could better direct you on specific areas or developments to look into Downtown if you were considering living there. One area that always struck me as being a very nice part of Downtown to live near would be in the area of the Flying Star Cafe Downtown.

I wish I could be more specific, however, old boring EnjoyEP and his wife / family ended up settling in the Northeast Heights and only frequented Downtown as a guest, traveler, businessman, consumer, etc., etc., etc., not as a resident.

To me, outside of panhandlers (which you'll always get in city Downtowns, especially in southern towns), ABQ's Downtown was always quite residential-friendly, quite safe, very manageable and walkable, etc. However, again, without having lived there, I wouldn't want to give specifics and steer you wrong where others might be a bit more valuable.

There was a front page article in the Albuquerque Journal in around 2006 that gave a statistical breakdown of the percentage of residential areas in Downtown ABQ in comparison to residential portions in the Downtowns of other Western / Southwestern towns (I know they had Denver comparatively, and I am sure other towns in there would've also included likely El Paso, San Diego, Phoenix / Tucson, likely Austin, etc.). And ABQ's percentage of Downtown residents was shockingly high in comparison - per capita - to the percentage of Downtown residential areas in most of the other towns.

The point of the article was simply that ABQ's Downtown is far, far more residential than many other more-commercial-friendly Downtowns of other cities.

Quote:
I was intrigued by the Old Albuquerque High Lofts but after reading some horror stories of the property management company and lots of crime in this area it led me to reconsider. Also leads me to ask about the more or less desirable parts of downtown as all major metro cities seem to have.
Hmmmm...again, I hope maybe someone else here might be able to better help you. I am trying to visualize offhand the ABQ High Lofts that you reference, and OFFHAND, to me, they would've seemed pretty darn reasonable and doable too. However, I don't want to say, "ah, those would be very safe" or what have you (even though offhand I think they'd be), and then be completely wrong.

Thus, hopefully someone with better knowledge of living Downtown could better help you. Certainly, I couldn't offer anything on the property management company unfortunately.

As for the good / bad portions of Downtown, ABQ's Downtown just isn't massive - it is a city of currently roughly 500K residents, so it isn't exactly Chicago or even quite Milwaukee. So it isn't like there is a "Third Ward portion" and then a "6th and Vilet portion" like is so disproportional in Milwaukee.

Overall, most anywhere in actual Downtown I would feel very comfortable and fine to live, but I don't want to absolutely swear to it since I haven't actually lived there.

Quote:
We are looking in the NE Heights primarily because if the lady ends up dancing in Santa Fe it would make for an easier commute I would think. Can anyone confirm this?
I would concur with this. Certainly, the farther north you'd reside in ABQ (be it the Northeast Heights, the Northwest, or even a Rio Rancho - northern suburb), the closer you'd be to Santa Fe and the easier the commute. I know many people such as Santa Fe cops reside in Rio Rancho because it is too pricey to reside in Santa Fe and they wish to take use of ABQ's/RR's more mild weather but still want to be a bit more reasonable in their commuting distance.

To me, this depends upon how often she'd head up there. If only sporadically, I would probably (just me) live wherever in the heck I felt like it in ABQ and not worry about the extra 10 or 15 minutes driving up to ABQ. However, if she'd be going there more frequently / regularly, then yes, the time (and gas money) factor of commuting up to SF may push you farther north.

Don't forget that the NM Railrunner rail line now runs from ABQ up to Santa Fe, so if you did live in Nob Hill / Downtown, that would be an option for her if she didn't wish to drive.

Quote:
It also seems to be a "nicer" area.
Depends upon what your definition of "nicer" is.

Picture much of the large North East Heights quadrant akin to some segments of, say, Wauwatosa, some segments of Bay View or Washington Heights, and some segments of Franklin or Brookfield, and even some segments (right up in the mountains) of a River Hills or a Whitefish Bay - obviously with a strong New Mexican twist. The Northeast has some very affluent areas, many upper middle class to middle class areas, and a few older, smaller home areas that are more middle class. It is quite diverse. However, yes, I would say that the Northeast is one of the more desirable areas of ABQ, largely thanks to its close proximity to the Sandia Mountains and the aged nature of the portion of the town compared to western portions.

Quote:
Any particular pockets out there in the NE that are walkable, fun and funky for a pair of mid 20 year olds that you guys can think of? Any areas to avoid?
Walkable? Depends upon what your definition of walkable is. I wouldn't say much / most of it is walkable in the way that Nob Hill would classically be, or, the East Side of Milwaukee.

Again, if you'd classify Wauwatosa as walkable (which most people wouldn't in its classic sense even though it is sidewalk'd all over), then sure, its walkable. However, for the most part, it is more sidewalk'd / neighborhoods, but cars or bikes are utilized more significantly.

As for fun, for me (a young-30s ish business guy with a wife and kids), absolutely it is fun. Great restaurants all over the place, great views of the mountains, lots of shopping, some great neighborhood bars, etc.

However, to you whippersnappers looking for maybe more of a Milwaukee's East Side or Riverwest scene, feel, I don't know you'd find most of Northeast classically "fun"....I mean, would you classify the Washington Heights in Milwaukee or Whitefish Bay or west side Wauwatosa as fun? Many like me would, however, you might have a different bent.

To me, you seem like more of a Nob Hill kind of guy, but it depends on what you really are looking for and like. I mean, it isn't like if you buy a place in the Northeast, you couldn't be Downtown or Nob Hill for recreation in 15 minutes or so.

Offhand, to me, the most classically "walkable" portion of the Northeast would be the Uptown area, however, that is more of an office/condo/retail/restaurant corridor for walkability - not "funky" eg: Brady Street.

As for areas to avoid in the Northeast, there aren't a ton, however, I would try to - in *general terms* stay a little bit away from Carslisle Ave. / San Mateo Blvd. (staying a bit east of them), I would also stay at least a block or two off of Montgomery Blvd. (west of Eubank...east of Eubank, Montgomery would be fine).

I also might not be hopping at Candelaria or Lomas...trying to stay a bit north of those.

Overall, *in general terms*, excellent street markers to kind of look for (again, these are broad generalizations), Eubank Blvd., Paseo Del Norte, Alameda, Academy, Juan Tabo, Spain, Wyoming (Wyoming on east), Motgomery (EAST OF EUBANK), Osuna, Tramway Blvd. Commanche not too bad either.

Hopefully that should help a bit.

Quote:
How do ABQ-ians go about finding new places to rent? Craigslist? Driving around neighborhoods? The classifieds? I'd love to hear your thoughts.
There are tons of websites that list rentals / apts in Albuquerque (just do a google search) that include reviews, prices, etc. To me, that would be the way to go. I wouldn't be big on craigslist, as you just don't know what would be accurate or not as much.

My wife and I rented before buy in ABQ (of course this was back in the dark ages of 2003) and found an apartment just by online searching. We ended up getting lucky and absolutely loving our apartments and especially their location (The Overlook Apartments on Eubank Blvd. in NE ABQ).

Quote:
Finally, on the subject of property management companies. Are there any out there that people can suggest that do things the right way and take care of their tenants? Any specific apartment buildings you have heard good things about? Any good resources to use to research this for ourselves?
I only rented in one complex before buying a house, so I am not a rental guru.

I do know that my wife and I loved the Overlook Apartments, and especially their geographic location. That place should be cutting me a commission for as many times as I have referred them. However, of course, again, they were in the Northeast.

I can't attest too much about other rentals. I did hear good things about the Pinnacle Apartment complex near High Desert, however, I don't know if they even exist under that name anymore.

For good sources, I would just do google searches on the many websites out there that do listings / comparisons, etc.

Good luck!! Let me know if you have other questions I can help with.

Geez, all of you Milwaukeans getting to hit it down to the Duke City!!! How cool. I hope to join you all someday sooner rather than later.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2009, 12:34 PM

Quote:
What about music venues where indy rock comes through ie: the Pabst Theater and the Riverside?
Sorry, missed this portion of your question from earlier AV...

Check out the KiMo Theater (Downtown) which I would say is more akin to The Rave or what have you, as well as the Sunshine Theater.

The Journal Pavilion in ABQ is like a slightly nicer version of the Marcus Amphitheater.

A good place to look for concert information is weekly alibi - albuquerque's alternative newsweekly - alibi.com - they generally have a pretty extensive look at upcoming concerts in ABQ, as well as venue / ticket info.

Sometimes if ABQ doesn't catch a major name / act, it'll almost certainly hit Denver (7 hour easy drive north on I-25) at Red Rocks or the Pepsi Center, etc. Heck, even El Paso (4 hour easy drive south on I-25) will occasionally land a big show in the Sun Bowl (Rolling Stones...not my thing but whatever...were there not too long ago).

Old 07-16-2009, 04:55 PM

45 posts, read 109,010 times
Hey everyone. I just wanted to see if anyone else had any ideas about property management companies or specific places that would be desirable downtown, Nob Hill or elsewhere and also ask some specific questions.

We will be in ABQ for three days in the middle of August to hopefully find a place and do some hardcore apartment hunting. Just trying to get it all in line so we can make the most of our time here. So if anyone has any suggestions of what to do that would be great. We have never moved out of state so I don't really have a clear idea of what I should do when we visit beforehand as well as while we are here to make it a worthwhile trip.

I have tried rent.com etc. but they all seem to be useless to me.

Also what are the options for TV services? I assume the two major Dish companies are out there but what else? Any recommendations?

And my lady is quite worried that we won't be able to find custard in ABQ. I told her it would probably be ice cream because custard is a very Milwaukee thing, but can anyone confirm this?

Old 07-16-2009, 05:06 PM

1,732 posts, read 4,449,419 times
Comcast, Dish Network, DirectTV. We have Comcast although we might switch to DirectTV for better HD programming. We've got some promotion with free HBO til December, we'll decide then.

Frozen custard...there's a place called Chillz that comes up when I google "frozen custard Albuquerque" but I do not know if it is still there.

We had some last year in Roswell, of all places.

I think the gelatti Pop Pop's serves is very close.

Old 07-16-2009, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Hey everyone. I just wanted to see if anyone else had any ideas about property management companies or specific places that would be desirable downtown, Nob Hill or elsewhere and also ask some specific questions.

We will be in ABQ for three days in the middle of August to hopefully find a place and do some hardcore apartment hunting. Just trying to get it all in line so we can make the most of our time here. So if anyone has any suggestions of what to do that would be great. We have never moved out of state so I don't really have a clear idea of what I should do when we visit beforehand as well as while we are here to make it a worthwhile trip.

I have tried rent.com etc. but they all seem to be useless to me.
Hopefully others here will see this and be able to speak to rental / property companies, etc., in the Nob Hill / Downtown area.

Especially familiar with that area are long time posters here ABQConvict and mortimer, so they might be good folks to seek out, although I am not sure if either one are renters or have rented in a while (but both know those areas very well).

Quote:
Also what are the options for TV services? I assume the two major Dish companies are out there but what else? Any recommendations?
Yeah, its just like MKE - the two major Dish companies, but instead of Time Warner, it is Comcast Cable (pretty much the same prices / selections as TW). So do it just like you would up here in MKE. (I would - and do - and did in ABQ - go dish. You just get the same as cable for a much cheaper price...cable is a scam to the n-th degree, competition is a good thing)...

Quote:
And my lady is quite worried that we won't be able to find custard in ABQ. I told her it would probably be ice cream because custard is a very Milwaukee thing, but can anyone confirm this?
You know, I love freaking frozen custard. Love the stuff. Worked at a frozen custard stand for 5+ years when I was in high school / early college here growing up. I currently live near a Kopp's and patronize the hell out of it.

Thus, when I was in ABQ, there had been no frozen custard (that I was aware of, and believe you me, if it had been there, I would've been aware of it I believe) I was super stoked when they opened a Marco Pollo Rotisserie Chicken place really close to my house on Montgomery Blvd.; it was owned by a guy from the Midwest and had a mini-frozen custard stand inside of it! Wasn't as good as Kopp's, Kitt's, or Leon's up here in MKE, but fit the bill.

However, the bad news? I believe the place has already closed down (which is too bad, because it was a really good place to eat).

Now, I am *guessing*, again, with Marco Pollo closed down, I doubt there is another true frozen custard place there.

HOWEVER, I will say this:

a. In Denver - a mere 6 hours north on I-25 - they do have frozen custard places. So if she ever wants a road trip up for a Rockies game or big-time shopping or to fly out of DIA or what have you, she can get her fix there!

b. Kopp's ships custard country-wide. Its expensive (dry ice up the wazoo), but hey, desparate times call for desparate measures.

c. New Mexican food + green/red chile + sopapillas (this unbelievably good New Mexican desert - fried pockets of dough that you slather honey onto...just unbelievably good) - these speciality items will be more than addicting and more than make up the void left by the absence of frozen custard.

d. I have to imagine that in the next year or two, another Midwestern transplant will fill the void in ABQ and open another custard stand. So hang in there. With Marco Pollo closing, someone will recognize what a great market ABQ could / would be for frozen custard, especially with the warm summer weather and the high amount of Midwestern transplants. I would bet my bottom dollar that in the next 3 years, if not sooner, someone else will come along and open a frozen custard place.

e. While it is admittedly ice cream (which - along with gellato pales in comparison obviously to frozen custard), ABQ does boast a few Ben & Jerry's ice cream restaurants around the city. It isn't as good as Kopp's / frozen custard, but Ben & Jerry's is the next best thing...really, really good ice cream. (I believe the location on ABQ's west side was the first B&Js in the nation with a drive thru)...

Believe you me. I can relate to missing frozen custard. When living in ABQ and visiting MKE, one of my first "must dos" was to get frozen custard. However, I would take New Mexican cuisine/green and red chile/sopapillas any time reguarly now, and take the frozen custard as a special travel treat. Get her to try these sopapillas in August...she'll be convinced!

Old 07-17-2009, 12:29 PM

923 posts, read 2,419,168 times
EnjoyEP, did you see that Southwest has $69 flights Milw./Alb. in November? That's a steal!!!

Old 07-17-2009, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lobo View Post
EnjoyEP, did you see that Southwest has $69 flights Milw./Alb. in November? That's a steal!!!
WOW! I will have to check that out!! Of course my flights to ABQ from MKE for October have already been booked, and to boot, at least in OCT I will get to be there for the Balloon Fiesta. However, for $69, perhaps my wife will let me take a quick 'nother jaunt out in NOV!!

Old 07-17-2009, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnjoyEP View Post
WOW! I will have to check that out!! Of course my flights to ABQ from MKE for October have already been booked, and to boot, at least in OCT I will get to be there for the Balloon Fiesta. However, for $69, perhaps my wife will let me take a quick 'nother jaunt out in NOV!!
Maybe the good fares are to promote the new flights from MKE to ALB. No more hassles with having to fly out of O'Hare via SW Airlines.

Old 07-17-2009, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lobo View Post
Maybe the good fares are to promote the new flights from MKE to ALB. No more hassles with having to fly out of O'Hare via SW Airlines.
Actually, lobo, it was even worse than that! Southwest doesn't fly in/out of O'Hare, instead, its always been Midway! Throw on an extra hour of a drive south of O'Hare.

But yeah, that could be a new fare to promote MKE as a new location. For years, I have been craving Southwest to fly in/out of MKE, and now it is finally happening. Of course, I hope soon to utilize SW to fly for visits to MILWAUKEE, and return home to ABQ, and not vice/versa, but that's neither here nor there I guess for now.

Actually, I booked with someone like Delta between MKE and ABQ in October, and got round trip tix after all taxes and fees and everything for very cheap - $175. The lesson to be learned? Right now, there are GREAT DEALS to be found on airfare.

OK, I am babbling...

Old 07-17-2009, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnjoyEP View Post
Actually, lobo, it was even worse than that! Southwest doesn't fly in/out of O'Hare, instead, its always been Midway! Throw on an extra hour of a drive south of O'Hare.

But yeah, that could be a new fare to promote MKE as a new location. For years, I have been craving Southwest to fly in/out of MKE, and now it is finally happening. Of course, I hope soon to utilize SW to fly for visits to MILWAUKEE, and return home to ABQ, and not vice/versa, but that's neither here nor there I guess for now.

Actually, I booked with someone like Delta between MKE and ABQ in October, and got round trip tix after all taxes and fees and everything for very cheap - $175. The lesson to be learned? Right now, there are GREAT DEALS to be found on airfare.

OK, I am babbling...
Oops, yep. My bad. It is Midway, not O'Hare. Sounds like you still got a very good deal. Hopefully this Oct. will be a good one for the balloons.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City