U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
View Poll Results: Which skyline do youb like better??
Atlanta 132 43.85%
Pittsburgh 169 56.15%
Voters: 301. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-16-2009, 11:49 AM

115 posts, read 167,028 times
LA?! Are you kidding? I've been to the Hollywood Hills looking down on LA and I'll tell you what, all that you can see is SMOG...Smog and more smog! it's horrible and the air quality in that area is pathetic. LA has no skyline, it's very ugly, and disgusting. The other cities have nice ones, but nothing competes with Pittsburgh due to it's unique geographical location. I mean, if NYC had huge hills or mountains right by it, then it would beat Pittsburgh. But it doesn't, thus making Pittsburgh much better, IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nature's message View Post
Sorry, but cities like Tokyo, Seoul, Paris, New York City, London, Mexico City, Vancouver, Montreal, Chicago, Los Angeles, among others photograph better than Pittsburgh IMO.

Old 07-16-2009, 11:55 AM

2,779 posts, read 6,738,303 times
Hard to vote both but I do.

Atlanta: At night, the Atlanta skyline is great with the lighting.
Pittsburgh: Nothing beats the instant skyline coming into P'Burg from I-79 North during the day.

Old 07-16-2009, 11:55 AM

6,288 posts, read 7,382,887 times
Geographic location? So the fact that Manhattan is a gigantic island, or that San Francisco is on a hilly peninsula, or that Los Angeles is surrounded by gigantic mountains doesn't make their geographic location interesting?

I agree that Pittsburgh's skyline is very nice and the location is awesome, but it's not the only skyline with a cool location.

P.S. There is no skyline on the planet that holds a candle to Hong Kong when it comes to geographic backdrops.

Old 07-16-2009, 11:57 AM

2,629 posts, read 3,346,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trailrunner79 View Post
LA?! Are you kidding? I've been to the Hollywood Hills looking down on LA and I'll tell you what, all that you can see is SMOG...Smog and more smog! it's horrible and the air quality in that area is pathetic. LA has no skyline, it's very ugly, and disgusting. The other cities have nice ones, but nothing competes with Pittsburgh due to it's unique geographical location. I mean, if NYC had huge hills or mountains right by it, then it would beat Pittsburgh. But it doesn't, thus making Pittsburgh much better, IMO.
Following this line of reasoning. Charleston, West Virginia and Chattanooga, Tennessee sit on rivers and both have larger prettier hills and Mountains right by them so I guess that makes them much better than Pittsburgh. Also you have to think Denver is better than Pittsburgh since it's back dropped by the Rockies.

Old 07-16-2009, 12:10 PM

9,118 posts, read 20,945,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galounger View Post
Following this line of reasoning. Charleston, West Virginia and Chattanooga, Tennessee sit on rivers and both have larger prettier hills and Mountains right by them so I guess that makes them much better than Pittsburgh.
Hmmm... I don't know if mountains and a river make a city "better" than Pittsburgh, but Charleston WV doesn't look half bad with them.

Old 07-16-2009, 01:01 PM

1,991 posts, read 2,226,182 times
Pittsburgh by FAR: the convergence of the two rivers, the green hills in the background, the bridges spanning the rivers, and the city buildings right there in the middle of it all. Meanwhile the Atlanta skyline is buildings sticking up out of concrete. And I used to live in Atlanta. Here is my favorite vantage shot of the Pittsburgh skyline, very bottom of the page.

Old 07-16-2009, 01:03 PM

Yes, Pittsburgh's background is very unique.

I do agree about Hong Kong though, amazing, but too bad the air sucks there too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post
Geographic location? So the fact that Manhattan is a gigantic island, or that San Francisco is on a hilly peninsula, or that Los Angeles is surrounded by gigantic mountains doesn't make their geographic location interesting?

I agree that Pittsburgh's skyline is very nice and the location is awesome, but it's not the only skyline with a cool location.

P.S. There is no skyline on the planet that holds a candle to Hong Kong when it comes to geographic backdrops.

Old 07-16-2009, 01:11 PM

26,250 posts, read 21,358,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
IYO. IMO...no.
Each to his own. What draws me to Pgh's skyline is the Monongahela, Ohio, and Allegheny rivers going through there at the Golden Triangle, not to mention the many bridges. I like the way the skyline looks next to the river and the hills in the background.

Old 07-16-2009, 06:08 PM

8,190 posts, read 6,060,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MantaRay View Post
Pittsburgh by FAR: the convergence of the two rivers, the green hills in the background, the bridges spanning the rivers, and the city buildings right there in the middle of it all. Meanwhile the Atlanta skyline is buildings sticking up out of concrete.
Concrete? Looks like it sticks up out of a forest to me:

Atlanta, Georgia - City Skyline Photography Prints, Canvas, Digital Stock - Black & White or Color Digital Stock Art
Atlanta, Georgia - City Skyline Photography Prints, Canvas, Digital Stock - Black & White or Color Digital Stock Art
Suburban Atlanta, Georgia - City Skyline Photography Prints, Canvas, Digital Stock - Black & White or Color Digital Stock Art
Midtown Atlanta, Georgia - City Skyline Photography Prints, Canvas, Digital Stock - Black & White or Color Digital Stock Art

Old 07-31-2009, 10:11 PM

Default Pittsburgh ranked tops in U.S. by The Economist

Pittsburgh by far, here's another reason why!

[LEFT]British magazine gives city a jolly good No. 1 rating
Wednesday, June 10, 2009
By Mackenzie Carpenter, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Allegheny County Executive Dan Onorato was calling -- no, crowing -- from his cell phone, in full, gleeful, salesman-for-the-region mode, ticking off the number of recent surveys declaring Pittsburgh the nation's most livable city (four or five); the number of front-page New York Times stories about Pittsburgh in the past three months (two) and the value of such publicity to the Pittsburgh area (priceless).
Given that abundance of good publicity, the news that Pittsburgh once again is the most livable city in the United States -- and 29th worldwide -- in a 2009 survey by British magazine The Economist was "great news, but not a surprise," Mr. Onorato said.
"This is now the fourth or fifth independent survey from outside the region talking up the Pittsburgh metro region. You have the stories in The New York Times, the president picks us to host the G-20 summit, now you have this magazine, plus others over the years. It's amazing."
The Economist Intelligence Unit -- which publishes numerous surveys and studies for paying clients -- has ranked Pittsburgh first in U.S. livability ratings since it started measuring them in 2005, said Jon Copestake, editor of the survey.
Reader forum
Is Pittsburgh the country's most livable city? Why or why not? Share your comments in our reader forum.

Of the 140 cities considered, Vancouver, B.C., took the top spot worldwide, followed by Vienna, Melbourne and Toronto. Cities in Asia and Africa fared the worst, with Harare, Zimbabwe, followed by Algiers and Dhaka, Bangladesh (tied), thanks to "civil instability and poor infrastructure," the report said.
The Economist's ranking is just one of many kudos Pittsburgh has earned recently: In 2007 it was rated as "America's Most Livable City" by Places Rated Almanac, and in January Forbes Magazine cited it as the sixth best city in "Ten Cities For Job Growth In 2009."
Of course, there was that survey by the Pew Research Center's Social & Demographic Trends project, which found Pittsburgh one of the least popular of places to live -- in the bottom 10 of 30 cities surveyed -- with only 17 percent of those surveyed saying they wanted to live there. And Business Week magazine reported that Pittsburgh is the 14th "Most Unhappy City" in the nation.

In The Economist's report, between 30 to 40 indicators were considered under five categories: stability, health care, culture and environment, education and infrastructure. The Economist used its own analysts plus statistics and input from correspondents in each city.
"The idea was that the city presenting the least challenges to your lifestyle would be deemed the most livable," said Mr. Copestake -- in other words, cities that aren't too big, too crowded or too crime-ridden. Pittsburgh's medical centers and its cultural amenities -- unusual for a city of its size -- helped propel it up the charts, he added.
The actual differences in scores between U.S. cities was fairly small, he noted. "All of the cities in the U.S. are comparable in livability terms," he said, noting that the lowest scoring city, Lexington, Ky., at 85 percent, was only a few points lower than Pittsburgh, at 92 percent.
While Mr. Copestake obviously hasn't experienced our famous tunnel traffic, he noted that because of our population loss, "that means less people needing services so they're not overburdened."
And that's exactly the problem with these "most livable" contests, countered Jake Haulk, president of the Allegheny Institute for Public Policy.
"Livability is in the eye of the beholder," he said, noting surveys tend to overvalue cultural institutions -- which benefit relatively few people -- and undervalue economic indicators such as job growth and low taxes, which benefit many. Places like Charlotte, N.C., attracted people for that reason, he said.
"I would think that livability would have to do with finding a good job. If you're just looking at cultural things, sure, Pittsburgh is a nice place to live, if you can afford to send your kids to private schools or live in the suburbs and pay high taxes for good schools, but people tend to go where they can find work."
Nonsense, said Mr. Onorato.
"No one is claiming Pittsburgh is perfect," he said, noting that Mr. Haulk "bragged a few years ago about how great Charlotte is, and now Charlotte is in total collapse."
Mackenzie Carpenter can be reached at mcarpenter@post-gazette.com or 412-263-1949.
First published on June 10, 2009 at 12:00 am

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09161/976252-53.stm#ixzz0MtthLJEm
[/LEFT]
Pittsburgh ranked tops in U.S. by The Economist
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.