U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which skyline do youb like better??
Atlanta 132 43.85%
Pittsburgh 169 56.15%
Voters: 301. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2009, 09:12 AM

2,851 posts, read 5,398,777 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post
My thing about the PGH skyline is not just the variety of architecture, which Pgh has. The various bridges, the three rivers converging, the hilly landscape, the fact that there is a waterfront makes Pittsburgh very beautiful.
That's true I agree but if you've ever spent time in Atlanta you would know that you can get great views of any of Atlanta's three skylines from more different locations around town than I can name. That is one of the unique things about Atlanta and IMO what makes it's skylines so great.

Old 08-06-2009, 02:42 PM

594 posts, read 3,182,526 times
In my opionion i think downtown atlanta needs more tall skyscrapers downtown because to me downtown atlanta still is not big enough for me.I want downtown atlanta to be as big as downtown los angelos.And also i think midtown atlanta needs more tall buildings and skyscrapers also to make it look bigger and to make it bigger.

Old 08-07-2009, 05:45 PM

1,990 posts, read 6,813,291 times
I like both Atlanta and Pittsburgh, but I have to give a nod to Pittsburgh.

Pittsburgh has something that Atlanta doesn't: Major rivers running through the city, and beautiful bridges that give the skyline an extra boost.

Old 08-08-2009, 12:08 PM

9 posts, read 27,965 times
Ummmm.. No. Buckhead is pretty and propersous, but Oakland, Pittsburgh 2nd skyline puts Buckhead to sleep. Pittsburgh also, in my opinion has better lookin skyscrapers (PPG Building.)

Old 08-08-2009, 12:57 PM

2,237 posts, read 6,414,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelcityreporter View Post
Ummmm.. No. Buckhead is pretty and propersous, but Oakland, Pittsburgh 2nd skyline puts Buckhead to sleep.
I'm pro-Pittsburgh on virtually everything against Atlanta; but I think you've got that last statement backwards.

Old 08-08-2009, 08:14 PM

3,008 posts, read 4,137,144 times
I said in a previous thread that Atlanta looks pretty at night, but a skyline isn't about how many tall buildings you have, it's how the taller ones and the smaller ones fit in with each other in which Pittsburgh has over Atlanta. My vote goes to Pittsburgh for this one. I think a lot of cities are in such a rush to get the next tallest building that they forget to keep a fair balance. Atlanta does lack major waterways running through which Pitt has in spades and the reflections off the water are gorgeous. But again, for this thread and the pictures posted, it all depends on the angle you look at. I live in Indianapolis and you take a straight shot looking either north or south and downtown indy is bland as all get out, but you come in from one of the warehouse district or the canal and it looks completely different. Of course Indy wouldn't beat either Pitt or ATL due to height restrictions around monument circle and the eastern edge of downtown being more residential but hey.

Old 08-09-2009, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galounger View Post
The Buckhead section of Atlanta by it's self compares well with Pittsburgh. It's not even fair to compare the entire Atlanta skyline (with Downtown and Midtown also) to Pittsburgh.
Are you kidding? Pittsburgh has 29 buildings over 300 feet, 15 over 400 and 9 over 500 packed into 0.66 sq.mi. The five tallest in Pittsburgh are: 841, 725, 635, 616, 615; while Buckheads are: 666, 580, 485, 479, 449. And the architecture on such buildings as the PPG Place, Oxford Center and 5th Avenue Place destroys Buckheads.

Buckhead competes with Pittsburgh only if you like small boring buildings dispersed across surface parking lots.

Old 08-09-2009, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ainulinale View Post
Are you kidding? Pittsburgh has 29 buildings over 300 feet, 15 over 400 and 9 over 500 packed into 0.66 sq.mi. The five tallest in Pittsburgh are: 841, 725, 635, 616, 615; while Buckheads are: 666, 580, 485, 479, 449. And the architecture on such buildings as the PPG Place, Oxford Center and 5th Avenue Place destroys Buckheads.

Buckhead competes with Pittsburgh only if you like small boring buildings dispersed across surface parking lots.
I thought I'd post Galounger's response to my post (which appeared in my positive reputation today):

"pittsburghs only appeals to you unless you like ugly rundown ****hole cities with muddy black rivers floating through it like a public sewer system loser-galounger"

Old 08-09-2009, 08:16 PM

Quote:
I thought I'd post Galounger's response to my post (which appeared in my positive reputation today):

"pittsburghs only appeals to you unless you like ugly rundown ****hole cities with muddy black rivers floating through it like a public sewer system loser-galounger"
Well, galounger, I just thought I'd post some pics of the "ugly rundown" buildings in downtown Pittsburgh.....not any of the new ones.....just the old, ugly rundown ones.

Are these the ugly dilapidated buildings you were talking about...btw, nice to have some modern stuff too

Last edited by ainulinale; 08-09-2009 at 08:49 PM..

Old 08-10-2009, 11:40 PM

2,851 posts, read 5,398,777 times
Quote:

That wasn't my response. That was somebody agreeing with you and taking a shot at me at the same time. I have a pretty good idea who. If you check my post history you will see I never make that kind of crude, totally negative remark about any city.

Beautiful pictures by the way. I always thought Pittsburgh was an interesting and once I got to see it up close beautiful city. I just don't think it's downtown skyline can compete with Atlanta's combined skylines. Just my opinion .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City