Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which skyline do youb like better??
Atlanta 132 43.85%
Pittsburgh 169 56.15%
Voters: 301. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2009, 12:28 PM

815 posts, read 2,136,777 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by skrazzle View Post
Throw the dense term around? You realize dense doesn't have to mean HUGE size right? Atlanta is a huge city, it's not dense. It's not built to the same density of some other cities.

Accept people have different opinions. Atlanta isn't bad, but it's not impressive. In my opinion it's pretty boring to look at. This is a skyline competition, and looking at Pittsburgh and Atlanta, the choice is easy for me.. Pittsburgh all the way.
This thread is about skylines, and you just said that Pittsburgh's skyline is more dense than Atlanta's. The reason I asked that is because it is quite obvious from that picture you yourself posted that Pittsburgh's skyline looks 4 blocks by 10 blocks. That was my question, you all call that dense??? If a skyline that is 4 blocks by 10 blocks is dense, but a skyline that is 6 blocks by about 20 blocks isnt dense than I dont know what is, and I would go so far as to say that you are just throwing that term around.

Old 08-31-2009, 12:54 PM

418 posts, read 1,280,710 times
Density refers to what it has in that amount of space. The use of that space. How many buildings are in that area? Are the buildings built close together or far apart? So lets just pretend Pittsburgh is 4 by 10 and and Atlanta is 6 by 20.... that doesn't make Atlanta more dense, just more sprawling.

I don't know the actual #s to say if Pittsburgh is more dense, but it certainly looks more dense, and the architecture is much nicer then Atlanta.

Old 08-31-2009, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skrazzle View Post
Density refers to what it has in that amount of space. The use of that space. How many buildings are in that area? Are the buildings built close together or far apart? So lets just pretend Pittsburgh is 4 by 10 and and Atlanta is 6 by 20.... that doesn't make Atlanta more dense, just more sprawling.

I don't know the actual #s to say if Pittsburgh is more dense, but it certainly looks more dense, and the architecture is much nicer then Atlanta.

So we are going by use of space now?? Really??? Downtown and Midtown Atlanta have 38 million square feet of office space, Pittsburgh does not have anywhere close to that. Downtown Pittsburgh only has 129 buildings, wheras downtown Atlanta has 225, with Midtown it has 340. And I dont have to pretend that Pittsburgh's downtown is 4 blocks by 10 blocks, I just simply counted them in the very picture you posted. If you like the architecture more in Pittsburgh thats fine, thats your opinion and you are entitiled to it. But just say that and dont throw terms like density and sprawl around all "willy nilly" to back up your claims if you really dont know what they mean.

Like I said earlier this should be Buckhead skyline vs. downtown Pittsburgh skyline. They both have the same number of buildings.

Old 08-31-2009, 01:34 PM

572 posts, read 1,995,134 times
Give up Skrazzle.

Pittsburgh has the better skyline and downtown. Atlanta has more bldgs. spread out and better architecture.

Oh and while density isn't everything, Pittsburgh is denser.

Old 08-31-2009, 02:19 PM

418 posts, read 1,280,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by st. louie louie View Post
Give up Skrazzle.

Pittsburgh has the better skyline and downtown. Atlanta has more bldgs. spread out and better architecture.

Oh and while density isn't everything, Pittsburgh is denser.
Yeah I am... I should have recognized a lost cause sooner... =/

Old 08-31-2009, 04:52 PM

2,245 posts, read 7,190,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by youngMichaelJackson View Post
This thread is about skylines, and you just said that Pittsburgh's skyline is more dense than Atlanta's. The reason I asked that is because it is quite obvious from that picture you yourself posted that Pittsburgh's skyline looks 4 blocks by 10 blocks. That was my question, you all call that dense??? If a skyline that is 4 blocks by 10 blocks is dense, but a skyline that is 6 blocks by about 20 blocks isnt dense than I dont know what is, and I would go so far as to say that you are just throwing that term around.
You don't know what dense is?

BTW, downtown Pittsburgh is 14 blocks by 10 blocks.

Old 09-01-2009, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ainulinale View Post
You don't know what dense is?

BTW, downtown Pittsburgh is 14 blocks by 10 blocks.
Wow, 10 by 14 blocks!! I am amazed!!
Like I have said on here before, the Buckhead skyline is bigger and taller than the Downtown Pittsburgh skyline. This whole argument is as silly as a JV high school football team playing the Steelers in the Super Bowl

Old 09-01-2009, 10:27 AM

9 posts, read 39,167 times
Quote:
Wow, 10 by 14 blocks!! I am amazed!!
Like I have said on here before, the Buckhead skyline is bigger and taller than the Downtown Pittsburgh skyline. This whole argument is as silly as a JV high school football team playing the Steelers in the Super Bowl
You are just getting rediculous. What is so funny is that you are rambling on and on, and using the most rediculous arguments to support such childish claims. Your profile states that you have a college degree in history, but your argument you are presenting is that of a 6th grade level.

For starters, you state that you "stopped in Pittsburgh to fill up your tank". You bash the city like a child and say that it is depressing, dead, and boring. I am sorry, anybody that judges a place that isn't willing to actually visit it is not allowed to state their opinion. That statement right there shows what type of closed minded person we are dealing with. Pittsburgh's neighborhoods are mostley all alive, all happening, and it is far far from how you describe it.

Then you ramble on about ex Pittsburghers who bash it, and everybody needs to get out at 30 or something. While I am a architect in his late 20s, lived in three major metros bedies Pittsburgh, and I am more than happy here. Why would anybody with a college degree actually take somebody's word for something. Again, It shows that we are dealing with somebody that can't comprehend to look at things for himself. I myself have never been to Detroit, heard how bad it is, but I still have to see things for myself before I bash a place. Although I typically don't bash places because I can find positive & interesting things in every town, and every culture. Something that you seem to lack in.

You then keep rambling on about how everybody who chooses Pittsburgh has to be on something, and bla bla bla. You tell everybody they are nuts and that it isn't even a comparison. Kind of weird since its just you thinking that right? I like Atlanta's skyline. However you take it on one criteria, the number of buildings. You neglect the complete fact of Pittsburgh's historic significance, unique architecture, collection of 20s and 30s skyscrapers, etc.

Then you link us to a link that shows us skylines like it is suppose to prove something. That link is the NUMBER OF BUILDINGS, not a list of AESTHETIC APPEAL. You completely neglect Pittsburgh aesthetic beauty. The rivers converging, the hills, the inclines, the bridges (which have many on the national historical registration), etc. Try this link. Lets see what this one thinks.

The Top 15 Skylines in the World - Worldwide : citynoise.org

You seem to be very childish for how old you claim to be. Especially with a college degree, one would think somebody to be more open minded, and trying to study different things of other cities. I am not here to bash Atlanta. I like Atlanta. I like Atlanta's skyline and the city. You bash Pittsburgh on things that old yinzers say that probably left when this town was completely different in the 70s after a steel collapse. I have highschool friends that left in the early 2000's that always whined about nothing to do, etc. However, those type of people are EVERYWHERE. They live in the suburban town complaining about how they got to get out. I was one. I moved back and realized how dumb I was, and how I knew nothing about the actually city itself or what there was to actually do. Please try to see things for yourself, try to open your mind a little, maybe be a little more studius on things. It will make people take you a little more seriously.

Old 09-01-2009, 10:34 AM

9 posts, read 39,167 times
Quote:
OMG.... this is pure comedy!! Unique, Intellectually Advanced??? Where do you think you live??? Pittsburgh??? Seriously??? And I would have much preferred to stop at an independently owned restaurant, but to be quite honest, Pittsburgh looked so dead and depressing I was in a rush to do what I had to do and keep it moving.
Again, Anybody that reads this statement obviously knows with what type of a poster they are dealing with. Maybe you should have slowed it down some, and visited some areas in Pittsburgh that you wouldn't be able to find in Atlanta. Unique? How bout, Lawerenceville, Shadyside, Squirrel Hill, Oakland, the north side, the southside flats, the southside slopes, Regent Square, Friendship, the Strip District, Bloomfield, The Mexican War Streets, and it goes on and on.

Oh, I forgot. You were in a rush, didn't want to explore something to see what it was like, then come on a message board to bash it. Wow! What a open and intellectual mind you got there.

Old 09-01-2009, 10:47 AM

8,289 posts, read 13,561,719 times
Atlanta is a suburban wasteland. You drive into Buckhead and think you are in a middle of suburb! This is in fact in the middle of the city! What does one say about a metropolitan area that sprawls over 29 counties?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City