U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which skyline do youb like better??
Atlanta 132 43.85%
Pittsburgh 169 56.15%
Voters: 301. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2009, 04:15 AM

925 posts, read 2,217,568 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northman View Post
I lived there for 20 years and left in 2007. I worked as a courier for 9 years in Atlanta, so I've seen the city from every angle there is. The only view that is truly impressive to me considering the number of structures in the area is coming in from the south side of town. It kinda has that Disney Magic Kingdom look to it, especially at night. All the other ones you mentioned do not impess me the way they do you, maybe because I've seen many other skylines such as Chicago, Seattle, Houston, Pittsburgh, San Francisco, Minneapolis, New York, and Miami that I think are asthetically superior. Another poster mentioned the "scattered" placement of the buildings. This correlates with my point that the buildings were erected in an elongated pattern with more space between them, rather than clustered tightly in a more circular pattern like most city skylines. All you have to do is look at an aerial photo of the city center to see what I'm talking about. It's very noticable when you fly in to Hartsfield-Jackson as well.

Buckhead is another story altogether. As a matter of fact, I think the Buckhead skyline is becoming more impressive than the midtown/downtown combo, even though it doesn't have nearly the number of tall structures as of now. I will agree that the drive into Buckhead on 400 is quite impressive. That was the last place I lived in Atlanta before I moved, and I used to love coming home to such a sight as I got off on the Lenox Rd. exit. I know they've put up a lot more scrapers since I left, too, so I bet it's really awesome now.

I've been to ALL major cities in the U.S., and the Seattle skyline is pathetic for how people rage on and on about it. It is literally dwarfed in size by the Atlanta skyline, and no amount of focusing on its tight cluster is going to undo the fact that it looks like a baby skyline in real life compared to a behemoth like Atlanta.

Houston's skyline is impressive, but it's not as expansive, unless you're talking about the Galleria skyline. It's buildings are also nowhere as impressive, individually.

Minneapolis looks okay, but it's a dwarf compared to Atlanta. It's skyline is not much bigger than Charlotte's.

Pittsburgh's skyline only looks that impressive from the angle of Fort Pitt. It's due to the stacking effect from that angle. Coming from the east, it looks nowhere near that impressive. Pittsburgh's skyline is rather small compared to Atlanta.

San Francisco's skyline is simply underwhelming. In pictures, sure, it looks huge and dense. While it is dense, most of the buildings are so short that it barely looks anything like a typical skyline, and instead looks mostly like low-rises with a cluster centered around the Trans-America Pyramid.

Chicago is definitely one of a kind. New York is dense as well, and it is impressive, particularly around its two main districts, midtown and the finanical district, but it has ONE HUGE GAP between midtown and the financial district. It's basically nothing but low rises within this gap/section, with a few midrises thrown in. The Miami skyline has become very impressive over the past ten years.

Old 09-04-2009, 05:35 AM

13,997 posts, read 21,825,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
Well you are correct.It is a matter of opinion.I too have seen all the cities you mentioned up close and personal.While I try not to be biased,I am just amazed by how much the entire city has changed in just a short amount of time.I mean since 2007 these major developements have really came from nowhere.Also yes Atlanta does have an elongated skyline,but it is fairly dense nowadays.It just looks the way it does because Atlanta has so many buildings that stand out on there own.They are tall and the style,design and size make them very visible.Imagine if Pittsburgh did not have PPG Center?Doe not look the same at all.In fact its rather bland without it.There are just too many buildings to name in Atlanta that it could do without and stiil be impressive or relevant.
Some were being started or halfway complete since then.
Midtown has really come into it own.Id say midtown is at least as dense as Buckhead,with just as much new development.
Allen Plaza project downtown:http:
The Spire and Viewpoint.1010 Peachtree &12th and Midtown
Midtown going North:
Atlantic Station-Twelve,The Atlantic and the BB&T building have really made the area dense.
Buckhead(with Sovereign)

Again many of these building have been added since 2007.I can't name all of them.I know everyone has their opinion.I respect it but I happen to disagree.To each their own.
Nice buildings, definately Atlanta for me.

Old 09-04-2009, 11:32 AM

9 posts, read 23,133 times
Being from Houston, its Atlanta!!!

Old 09-04-2009, 12:12 PM

1,991 posts, read 3,382,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Fanatic View Post
I've been to ALL major cities in the U.S., and the Seattle skyline is pathetic for how people rage on and on about it. It is literally dwarfed in size by the Atlanta skyline, and no amount of focusing on its tight cluster is going to undo the fact that it looks like a baby skyline in real life compared to a behemoth like Atlanta.
Plenty of people, like myself, think a mountain (or several) in the background steps a skyline up to the next level, ie. makes a HUGE difference. Skylines include the backdrop, and if the backdrop is blah, many of us take that into account compared to a skyline with a jaw-dropping backdrop. Plus the space needle adds visual interest, ie. it's not your average rectangular box-like dime a dozen structure jutting out of the ground.

Having lived in Atlanta for several years, I easily prefer Pittsburgh's skyline, especially from the vantage point with the convergence of the rivers at the bottom left and the scenic hills in the background.

Old 09-04-2009, 01:04 PM

9,086 posts, read 12,784,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Fanatic View Post

Houston's skyline is impressive, but it's not as expansive, unless you're talking about the Galleria skyline. It's buildings are also nowhere as impressive, individually.

Minneapolis looks okay, but it's a dwarf compared to Atlanta. It's skyline is not much bigger than Charlotte's.

Pittsburgh's skyline only looks that impressive from the angle of Fort Pitt. It's due to the stacking effect from that angle. Coming from the east, it looks nowhere near that impressive. Pittsburgh's skyline is rather small compared to Atlanta.

San Francisco's skyline is simply underwhelming. In pictures, sure, it looks huge and dense. While it is dense, most of the buildings are so short that it barely looks anything like a typical skyline, and instead looks mostly like low-rises with a cluster centered around the Trans-America Pyramid.

Chicago is definitely one of a kind. New York is dense as well, and it is impressive, particularly around its two main districts, midtown and the finanical district, but it has ONE HUGE GAP between midtown and the financial district. It's basically nothing but low rises within this gap/section, with a few midrises thrown in. The Miami skyline has become very impressive over the past ten years.
We often times disagree,but this time you said almost word for word what I was thinking.Good Post.I noticed that all the pics of Pittsburgh are usually from the same angle.Hardly no variety.

Old 09-04-2009, 02:14 PM

9,086 posts, read 12,784,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MantaRay View Post
Plenty of people, like myself, think a mountain (or several) in the background steps a skyline up to the next level, ie. makes a HUGE difference. Skylines include the backdrop, and if the backdrop is blah, many of us take that into account compared to a skyline with a jaw-dropping backdrop. Plus the space needle adds visual interest, ie. it's not your average rectangular box-like dime a dozen structure jutting out of the ground.

Having lived in Atlanta for several years, I easily prefer Pittsburgh's skyline, especially from the vantage point with the convergence of the rivers at the bottom left and the scenic hills in the background.
Well Atlanta is IN the backdrop.Thats why you see so many pics of it with the canopy of trees with buildings popping up from them.
Charleston West Virginia is beautiful as well.There is a river and mountains.The state capital really looks nice how it sits on the banks.That does not make it a great skyline.Other than then the Capitol Building,nothing else stands out.
Pittsburgh is the same way.Without it signature building(The PPG),you would not even know what city it is.It could be Harrisburg ,PA.Even Lexington Kentucky has a better ,diverse skyline.

Old 09-04-2009, 02:25 PM

1,994 posts, read 5,042,605 times
^^ Nice pics

Old 09-04-2009, 02:49 PM

403 posts, read 830,729 times
Pittsburgh gets my vote. I haven't seen one photo of Atlanta's skyline yet that truly impresses me.

Old 09-04-2009, 03:31 PM

573 posts, read 1,154,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
Well Atlanta is IN the backdrop.Thats why you see so many pics of it with the canopy of trees with buildings popping up from them.
Charleston West Virginia is beautiful as well.There is a river and mountains.The state capital really looks nice how it sits on the banks.That does not make it a great skyline.Other than then the Capitol Building,nothing else stands out.
Pittsburgh is the same way.Without it signature building(The PPG),you would not even know what city it is.It could be Harrisburg ,PA.Even Lexington Kentucky has a better ,diverse skyline.

Nice pics, but the first one is probably 8 years old. Midtown has filled in nicely since that pic. The second pic is a little old as well ,but close.

Old 09-04-2009, 03:38 PM

925 posts, read 2,217,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MantaRay View Post

What you're talking about is topography, not a skyline. A skyline is judged on the skyscrapers, not the surrounding hills or rivers, unless such leads to a change in the development set-up.

The space needle isn't near the downtown skyline. It's at least a mile away. It is so detached, that the only way one can put it in the skyline is to take a picture from the angle whereby the downtown skyline is behind the space needle. A picture from the side clearly shows this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City