Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which skyline do youb like better??
Atlanta 132 43.85%
Pittsburgh 169 56.15%
Voters: 301. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2009, 11:41 AM

815 posts, read 2,136,421 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GABOY84 View Post
That's about the most ignorant comment I have read to date. There is more office space in Buckhead than in most Southeastern cities. Buckhead has some of the tallest skyscrapers in the South. Buckhead is starting to get really dense. It also has some of the best shopping and dining you can find anywhere. As far as counties, those 29 counties are small in land area compared to counties you would find in other states. Fulton County has 1 million people....yea....that feels suburban.

Yeah it really was, especially coming from someone from Miami. Buckhead looks like a smaller version of South Beach with the high rise condos and the stores and restaurants lining Peachtree. My guess is he has never even been to Buckhead

Old 09-02-2009, 12:01 PM

19 posts, read 41,967 times
I like Pittsburgh's skyline the best. But Atlanta is not bad.

Old 09-02-2009, 01:26 PM

253 posts, read 967,629 times
Tie for me...

ATL has taller buildings but that "southern scattered" skyline doesn't do it for me and while Pitt is nice, dense and natural surroundings make it a better backdrop - Pitt doesn't have any tall ones either...

Old 09-02-2009, 02:14 PM

1,365 posts, read 2,833,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BB_206 View Post
Tie for me...

ATL has taller buildings but that "southern scattered" skyline doesn't do it for me and while Pitt is nice, dense and natural surroundings make it a better backdrop - Pitt doesn't have any tall ones either...
What is "southern scattered"?

Old 09-02-2009, 03:15 PM

9,067 posts, read 15,788,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northman View Post
I lived in Atlanta for 20 years. For as many skyscrapers and additional buildings as they have, I think it's one of the least impressive skylines of any major city. Instead of being clustered in one spot, the buildings were put up in an elongated row, which makes the drive in from most directions far less spectacular than it could have been. The one exception is the drive into town from the south side and the airport, which provides by far the most impressive view, IMO.

There are no truly spectacular views of the Atlanta skyline coming from any other direction. Coming in from the east on I-20 you don't even see the skyline until you're already halfway past downtown it seems. The northern approaches suffer from the elongated position of the buildings. I-20 from the west is nice, but the only great view is from a LONG distance approaching the city, and then it goes away until once again you are practically right downtown.

The first time I saw Pittsburgh's skyline it took my breath away. I never had that sensation with Atlanta's. Pittsburgh has a great mix of old and new architecture, water, tunnels, bridges, more modern sports stadiums.......it gets my vote hands down. Just like with us guys, size aint always everything!

I will say this, though: If Atlanta ever links all those buildings from downtown, through midtown, and up to Buckhead, it's skyline will be one of the most impressive in all the world. If that ever happens, though, it's probably going to be at least 50 to 75 years in the future at the soonest I would think.
Actually you are incorrect.Those are not the only views.There are some very spectacular views of the city:
1)Going South on I-85.Especially from the Northeast expressway getting off on W.Peachtree ST.The curve and the hill makes for a very beautiful view.Everyone I know loves it.
2)Also if you are on 17th Street coming form Northside Drive just before you get into Atlantic Station,You can see a great panoramic view from Midtown to Downtown.Its especially cool to see the Al-Farooq Mosque that was completed a couple of years ago,in the foreground.Its a really stunning view.
3) Also from the Westside off of Howel Mill Rd near the Water Treatment facility is relly nice
4)Going into Buckhead from Georgia 400 North.The Atlanta Financial Center,The Soveregn,and the Mansion all clustered there looks very elegant and sophisticated.
5)Peachtree Street from Midtown (Midtown Mile)has really developed into a beautilful drive.Especially going North from where 10th and Peachtree meet,going north on Peachtree ST.The new 1010 and 12th and Midtown building are colossal.They really look beautiful with the other existing buildings.Then later into Buckhead from where Peachtree and Piedmont cross going North on Peachtree.Now that is really impressive.Especially since they have basically renovated a large part of Peachtree and have made it more like a "Boulevard".
When was the last time you spent any significant time in the city?A lot of MAJOR improvements have happened just within the last 5 years

Old 09-02-2009, 03:21 PM

1,565 posts, read 4,341,336 times
Atlanta has much much taller buildings, but Pittsburgh has a more dense skyline.It's really just up to your preference. Atlanta with the taller, cooler, beter designed buildings, or Pittsburgh with the dense, shorter, art deco looking buildings.

Old 09-02-2009, 04:06 PM

3,816 posts, read 6,443,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
When was the last time you spent any significant time in the city?A lot of MAJOR improvements have happened just within the last 5 years
I lived there for 20 years and left in 2007. I worked as a courier for 9 years in Atlanta, so I've seen the city from every angle there is. The only view that is truly impressive to me considering the number of structures in the area is coming in from the south side of town. It kinda has that Disney Magic Kingdom look to it, especially at night. All the other ones you mentioned do not impess me the way they do you, maybe because I've seen many other skylines such as Chicago, Seattle, Houston, Pittsburgh, San Francisco, Minneapolis, New York, and Miami that I think are asthetically superior. Another poster mentioned the "scattered" placement of the buildings. This correlates with my point that the buildings were erected in an elongated pattern with more space between them, rather than clustered tightly in a more circular pattern like most city skylines. All you have to do is look at an aerial photo of the city center to see what I'm talking about. It's very noticable when you fly in to Hartsfield-Jackson as well.

Buckhead is another story altogether. As a matter of fact, I think the Buckhead skyline is becoming more impressive than the midtown/downtown combo, even though it doesn't have nearly the number of tall structures as of now. I will agree that the drive into Buckhead on 400 is quite impressive. That was the last place I lived in Atlanta before I moved, and I used to love coming home to such a sight as I got off on the Lenox Rd. exit. I know they've put up a lot more scrapers since I left, too, so I bet it's really awesome now.

Old 09-02-2009, 07:47 PM

2,245 posts, read 7,190,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cityboi757 View Post
Atlanta has much much taller buildings, but Pittsburgh has a more dense skyline.It's really just up to your preference. Atlanta with the taller, cooler, beter designed buildings, or Pittsburgh with the dense, shorter, art deco looking buildings.
Why is everyone talking about how Pittsburgh's buildings are much much shorter?

Pittsburgh has 9 buildings over 500 feet; Atlanta has 15. Pittsburgh has 5 over 600 to Atlanta's 11; and 2 over 700 to Atlanta's 5.

Is Atlanta taller? Sure. But quit acting like Pittsburgh is so short.

Old 09-03-2009, 12:11 AM

9,067 posts, read 15,788,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northman View Post
I lived there for 20 years and left in 2007. I worked as a courier for 9 years in Atlanta, so I've seen the city from every angle there is. The only view that is truly impressive to me considering the number of structures in the area is coming in from the south side of town. It kinda has that Disney Magic Kingdom look to it, especially at night. All the other ones you mentioned do not impess me the way they do you, maybe because I've seen many other skylines such as Chicago, Seattle, Houston, Pittsburgh, San Francisco, Minneapolis, New York, and Miami that I think are asthetically superior. Another poster mentioned the "scattered" placement of the buildings. This correlates with my point that the buildings were erected in an elongated pattern with more space between them, rather than clustered tightly in a more circular pattern like most city skylines. All you have to do is look at an aerial photo of the city center to see what I'm talking about. It's very noticable when you fly in to Hartsfield-Jackson as well.

Buckhead is another story altogether. As a matter of fact, I think the Buckhead skyline is becoming more impressive than the midtown/downtown combo, even though it doesn't have nearly the number of tall structures as of now. I will agree that the drive into Buckhead on 400 is quite impressive. That was the last place I lived in Atlanta before I moved, and I used to love coming home to such a sight as I got off on the Lenox Rd. exit. I know they've put up a lot more scrapers since I left, too, so I bet it's really awesome now.
Well you are correct.It is a matter of opinion.I too have seen all the cities you mentioned up close and personal.While I try not to be biased,I am just amazed by how much the entire city has changed in just a short amount of time.I mean since 2007 these major developements have really came from nowhere.Also yes Atlanta does have an elongated skyline,but it is fairly dense nowadays.It just looks the way it does because Atlanta has so many buildings that stand out on there own.They are tall and the style,design and size make them very visible.Imagine if Pittsburgh did not have PPG Center?Doe not look the same at all.In fact its rather bland without it.There are just too many buildings to name in Atlanta that it could do without and stiil be impressive or relevant.
Some were being started or halfway complete since then.
Midtown has really come into it own.Id say midtown is at least as dense as Buckhead,with just as much new development.
Allen Plaza project downtown:http:
The Spire and Viewpoint.1010 Peachtree &12th and Midtown
Midtown going North:
Atlantic Station-Twelve,The Atlantic and the BB&T building have really made the area dense.
Buckhead(with Sovereign)

Again many of these building have been added since 2007.I can't name all of them.I know everyone has their opinion.I respect it but I happen to disagree.To each their own.

Old 09-03-2009, 03:34 PM

14 posts, read 41,857 times
For starters, I voted for Pittsburgh but I do love the ATL skyline.

Judging solely by number of buildings as well as height, Atlanta dramatically outweighs Pittsburgh. No person would argue against that. In fact, I believe the Bank of America Building is the tallest in the US ouside of NYC and Chicago. And I'm a fan of ATL even though I'm not big on Southern cities.

But, in terms of setting, Atlanta can not compete with Pittsburgh. The rivers, bridges, and mountains make for the best downtown setting of any major American city east of the Rockies. And, THE TUNNEL!!! When you come out of that tunnel, the city hits you like a ton of bricks.

If I were only voting for the buildings, I would be for Atlanta all the way. But I feel that geography is part of a skyline too. That put Pittsburgh over the top for me.

I must say that I'm not a huge fan of comparing Atlanta and Pittsburgh. They have so many differences such as geography, culture, and architecture, etc. that they are hard to compare.

I think Pittsburgh could go up against Cincy or Philly and Atlanta should go up against Houston or Charlotte.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City