Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: I consider the following state the most overrated and overhyped in the country...
Arizona 51 20.08%
Colorado 18 7.09%
North Carolina 40 15.75%
Texas 113 44.49%
Georgia 32 12.60%
Voters: 254. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2009, 11:14 AM

37,127 posts, read 39,357,090 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DailyJournalist View Post
A "world class" beach has international appeal and acclaim. Forbes developed a decent list of beaches that may help you understand what a world class beach is, you should also try to visit some of them. Miami Beach is clearly the only beach in Florida that can hold the name of "world class".

The World's Best Beaches - Forbes.com
If we're going by international appeal, acclaim, and recognition, then maybe Key West and the Florida Keys in general (why not since your Forbes list will list entire countries and regions) have a fairly high international and domestic profile.

Anyhow, Florida has great beaches whether or not Forbes rate them as world-class.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2009, 11:14 AM

7,731 posts, read 14,357,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TB Fla View Post
I HAVE been to Miami Beach, and I don't see how it is that much better the Tampa Bay's beaches.
It's not. He rates it as the only acceptable beach because the general consensus in the Northeast Corridor is that it is "cool" there.

Old 06-15-2009, 11:15 AM

5,969 posts, read 9,557,279 times
Quote:
I HAVE been to Miami Beach, and I don't see how it is that much better the Tampa Bay's beaches.
You do not see a difference between South Beach and Clearwater?

Old 06-15-2009, 11:30 AM

2,413 posts, read 5,747,685 times
Quote:
Yes, Miami beach has more condos, and hotels on it. Does that make a difference to you? We are comparing the beaches, not the cities. You just can't accept the fact that cental Florida has something going for it. And like another poster said, you are only proclaiming Miami beach because it is more popular with the Northeast.

Old 06-15-2009, 11:32 AM

37,127 posts, read 39,357,090 times
Well, to be fair, it's probably more popular with the rest of the world as well. Miami beach certainly has a notoriety that the rest of Florida's beaches does not. It doesn't mean that the rest of Florida doesn't have great beaches though--just not as well-known.

Old 06-15-2009, 11:34 AM

2,168 posts, read 5,052,386 times
Quote:
Yeah, South Beach has prettier people, more restaurants/bars, and spicy atmosphere. What about sand quality? No beach on the east coast can touch the quartz sand of the west coast. I grew up in South Florida and have no problem saying that. Water is typically clearer and prettier on the west as well. I think it depends on what you want in a beach.

Old 06-15-2009, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Well, to be fair, it's probably more popular with the rest of the world as well. Miami beach certainly has a notoriety that the rest of Florida's beaches does not. It doesn't mean that the rest of Florida doesn't have great beaches though--just not as well-known.
Exactly, which is why it is considered "world class". It has world class accomodations, entertainment, food, night life, etc. To compare Miami Beach to Clearwater is ridiculous.

Old 06-15-2009, 11:40 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,199,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K.O.N.Y View Post
Most peoples opinions are baseless to begin with. Its like a ...hole everyone seems to have one on new york. Most havent even stepped foot in the city. It really just comes from jealousy at the end of the day. There is nothing overrated about the city or the state.

New yorkers actually find themselves defending new york more than anything else on this forum. New york gets mentioned in topics that have nothing at all to do with the city. It could be chicago Vs La, and the city of new york will still get thrown in the argument. Always by non-new yorkers. Look no further than this thread. New York STATE is not even an option, yet New York CITY still manages to fight its way into this discussion, by who? You guessed it- non new yorkers

ya texans and Atlantans are like the little engine that could
TX gets it worse than any other city or state. We are constantly thrown into threads where TX should be irrelevant. It's more supporters of NY than TX on here imo. Lots of these polls and opinions are based off people being pissed off and holding grudges against other members because of crap they said or did like 3 weeks ago lol.

I still don't understand how TX is overrated considering it's probably the most hated and misunderstood state in this country.....by outsiders. Lots of people judge TX without even stepping foot in it assuming we all ride horses, live on farms ,drive tractors to work, date our sisters/brothers/mothers/cousins/etc

It's pretty sad people still believe these things.

Old 06-15-2009, 11:49 AM

2,413 posts, read 5,747,685 times
Quote:
Exactly, which is why it is considered "world class". It has world class accomodations, entertainment, food, night life, etc. To compare Miami Beach to Clearwater is ridiculous.
I am comparing the Beach, not the city. What do you not get about that? Why do you think I originally posted beach pictures of Egmont key, which is un uninhabited island. As far as internationally know, yes, Miami Beach has it. But you can't compare beach quality of FL's west coast to the east.

Old 06-15-2009, 11:51 AM

Quote:
I am comparing the Beach, not the city. What do you not get about that? Why do you think I originally posted beach pictures of Egmont key, which is un uninhabited island. As far as internationally know, yes, Miami Beach has it. But you can't compare beach quality of FL's west coast to the east.
Then don't call them "world class" because they are not!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City