Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What is the most Underrated City?
Albuquerque 57 16.15%
Charlotte 30 8.50%
Denver 44 12.46%
El Paso 17 4.82%
Portland 38 10.76%
Milwaukee 53 15.01%
Oklahoma City 25 7.08%
Tucson 9 2.55%
Other (You name it) Has to be on the top 50 Largest! 80 22.66%
Voters: 353. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2009, 05:05 PM

318 posts, read 320,983 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
It's elitism and snobbery as well as arrogance if people especially New Yorkers actually believe they are the most underrated city in the nation. You can't be called underrated if people actually believe you are the capital of the World and you have the United Nations headquarters and you are still essentially the cultural and financial capital of the world. You can't be underrated. If any city in America is underrated, it's Philadelphia simply because it is a powerhouse in itself but is shadowed by New York to it's north and Washington DC to it's south. Most people know that NY's crime is not nearly as bad as it use to be. In fact, more people believe Chicago and LA's crime is worse than New Yorks and it is.
Most people but many still argue about New York being dangerous, rough and uncultured even though there is hard eveidence to the contrary. You are an exception and it is appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2009, 05:08 PM

20,515 posts, read 33,531,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefinalcut View Post
Most people but many still argue about New York being dangerous, rough and uncultured even though there is hard eveidence to the contrary. You are an exception and it is appreciated.
Yeah but pick a city especially in the Northeast or Midwest and you get the same type of comments. Especially for cities like Washington DC and Chicago. Hell, people still think DC today is what it use to be back in 1991 when there was 400 murders a year. So NY is not alone in this case.

Old 07-11-2009, 05:12 PM

4,552 posts, read 15,025,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Howest2008 View Post
I know what you are trying to say , but just can't quite put your finger on...It...Known as (Fly Over Land)...yeah the area that we are talking
about is known as "fly over land"...and that's mean's that it's not a
"Destination City" that people from the east or west coast or Chicago
San Francisco or any other World Class City or highly rated U.S. city
would even consider stopping off in or visiting.........with the Exception Of Me..

maybe that is it-its flyover land, then throw in the accents,education and people have something to go by to speak negative of.

I dont hate on anywhere in the US except for maybe Phoenix. I havent been to Tulsa but my dad says it is a nice looking city, however I have been to OKC and OKC definitely has something going for it, it may not be all that attractive to the eye but I did find the rural parts of Oklahoma to be very nice.

Old 07-11-2009, 05:43 PM

457 posts, read 1,108,857 times
I would have to go with Philadelphia. The city seems to get very little attention, and the little it gets is often negative. Sure the city has its problems, but the city is also one of the few truly urban cities. Center City is easily one of the top 5 or 6 downtowns it the country, it has an interesting skyline, great shopping and tons of residential. Plus the city has lots of great urban neighborhoods like Old City and Society Hill. The city has an urban vibrancy that can only be found in a handful of other cities (Bos, SF, DC) yet it only recieves only a fraction of the attention they do.

Old 07-12-2009, 07:57 AM

8,613 posts, read 10,143,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desert sun View Post
maybe that is it-its flyover land, then throw in the accents,education and people have something to go by to speak negative of.

I dont hate on anywhere in the US except for maybe Phoenix. I havent been to Tulsa but my dad says it is a nice looking city, however I have been to OKC and OKC definitely has something going for it, it may not be all that attractive to the eye but I did find the rural parts of Oklahoma to be very nice.
Yes, you've make it very clear on several occasions that you dislike Phoenix. I am not quite sure why, as I find Albuquerque (what's the hype about??) to be a mini carbon copy of Phoenix at a higher elevation (of course) but without the sports teams, high-end retail, and many resorts. With the sprawl of Rio Rancho (for starters), I think you're on the semi-fast track to being the next flyover land.

Old 07-12-2009, 08:07 AM

26 posts, read 90,155 times
Default Tuscon

for me it had to be Tuscon, the city is alot better than Phoenix IMO.

Old 07-12-2009, 08:10 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,206,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefinalcut View Post
Well the other new yorkers on here aren't making it any better.

Old 07-12-2009, 11:28 AM

318 posts, read 320,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
Well the other new yorkers on here aren't making it any better.
Of course not, we forget to praise nameless suburbs for beautiful siding clad hosues and street fairs trying to pass as culture

Old 07-12-2009, 01:38 PM

11,108 posts, read 23,883,005 times
I just don't see how any body can even debate the FACT that Kansas City, MO is by far the most underrated and dis-respected city in the nation.

A lot of cities are underrated, but KC is flat out ignored and most of those that have not been to KC do not even think of it as a large, urban city and metropolitan area. Most do not even know what state the actual “city” is in.

Despite its stats, the central city is quite dense; the city has some of the largest and nicest urban residential districts between the coasts. The city has an arts scene that rivals much larger cities, pro sports, amusement parks, world class museums etc. There is more see and do in KC than in cities 2-3 times the size of KC. The city is not in the middle of flat Kansas with no trees and tornadoes. It’s set in the rolling forested hills of where the Missouri and Kansas rivers come together and everything KC is known for is in the state of Missouri. In general, most people have absolutely no clue what KC is like.

Not even close.

KC is the most underrated city in the country…by a long shot.

After KC

I would say many Midwestern cities.

St Louis seems really underrated and doesn’t get near the respect it deserves on a national scale.

Omaha is not real big and it doesn’t have a ton to do, but it’s really a nice urban city that seems to be underrated.

Others include Milwaukee and Minneapolis.

But I really don’t think it’s close for number one. That would be KC.

Last edited by kcmo; 07-12-2009 at 01:50 PM..

Old 07-12-2009, 05:42 PM

4,552 posts, read 15,025,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZLiam View Post
Yes, you've make it very clear on several occasions that you dislike Phoenix. I am not quite sure why, as I find Albuquerque (what's the hype about??) to be a mini carbon copy of Phoenix at a higher elevation (of course) but without the sports teams, high-end retail, and many resorts. With the sprawl of Rio Rancho (for starters), I think you're on the semi-fast track to being the next flyover land.

first of all there is no hype about Albuquerque

and if Albuquerque ever gets to be anything like what PHX is now,then Im moving

we dont need high end retail here cause we are a poor state and people dont need to be walking around wal mart in Louis Vuitton handbags or going to Whataburger in a Prada dress. That is just not NM, we are way too casual to worry about high-end retail. We have a couple resorts but ABQ dosent base its whole tourism industry off of it like PHX.

and I would rather be flyover land than be a PHX ANYDAY, I would be happy living in a city that is unkown,has no tourism and that is just stagnant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City