U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
View Poll Results: Jacksonville vs. Louisville
Jacksonville, FL 22 52.38%
Louisville, KY 20 47.62%
Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

Unread 06-17-2009, 05:14 AM

6,330 posts, read 6,639,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
Have been to both and I must say Louisville is for me. The 4th Street Live complex in downtown Louisville is AWESOME!!!

WELCOME TO FOURTH STREET LIVE!
I voted Louisville and love visiting, but 4th Street Live is an embarrassment.
Quick reply to this message

Unread 06-17-2009, 05:32 AM

6,758 posts, read 13,639,315 times
I voted Jacksonville but live in Louisville lol How awful is that? I only did that because of the beach

Unread 06-17-2009, 06:42 AM

12,048 posts, read 16,890,308 times
Louisville is a great city, especially for its' size. However, Jacksonville's proximity to the sea induced me to vote that way.
Jacksonville has its' issues, but I'm not sure it deserves the trashing that it gets in this forum. For years it languished in the basement while the other FL cities experienced a population boom. But Jax is a very different place than it was 25 years ago. The southside neighborhoods are IMO delightful, Riverside in particular...the CBD there is great. I also like the beach communities of Atlantic Beach and Ponte Vedra Beach.
I think that Jacksonville will only get better in the years to come.

Unread 06-17-2009, 07:17 AM

8,756 posts, read 19,516,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
Jacksonville, FL vs. Louisville, KY...which of these Southern cities do you prefer?
I'm not sure that we could call Louisville a Southern city. Check out the Louisville forum for a lively debate on whether Louisville is a Southern city or a Midwestern city. I don't really care one way or the other, but I can understand why a whole bunch of people say Louisville is more Midwestern than Southern.

Unread 06-17-2009, 07:18 AM

4,676 posts, read 4,546,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gogetta View Post
Can you elaborate??
Certainly!!! Jax has nearly 800 sq/miles of land and 800,000 people . Here is a list of select cities with their populations and land area.

San Francisco 800,000......47 sq/miles
Atlanta 520,000.....131 sq/miles
Charlotte 700,000......280 sq/miles
Miami 362,000.....35 sq/miles

All of these above listed cities would have well over 1 million people if they covered 800 sq/miles like Jax does. Jax is not very big where it counts.

Unread 06-17-2009, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post
I'm not sure that we could call Louisville a Southern city. Check out the Louisville forum for a lively debate on whether Louisville is a Southern city or a Midwestern city. I don't really care one way or the other, but I can understand why a whole bunch of people say Louisville is more Midwestern than Southern.
The majority of us consider ourselves Southern. Most people who don't, live in the Eastern part of the county. Here is one of those threads: Is Louisville considered the South?

Unread 06-17-2009, 07:41 AM

4,676 posts, read 4,546,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missymomof3 View Post
The majority of us consider ourselves Southern. Most people who don't, live in the Eastern part of the county. Here is one of those threads: Is Louisville considered the South?
Yeah, but I would not consider Louisville southern. The last time I was there (summer of 2007 during the Greek Fest at the river front) I was amazed at the number of interacial couples in Louisville. I mean seems like EVERY couple walking downtown were interacial. Far more than I have ever seen in the traditional South. Being that I too am in an interacial marriage, I tend to notice these kinda things. That is the one thing that struck me about Louisville that I would not have expected in the state of Kentucky of all places. I LOVE LOUISVILLE!!! Calling it southern (in my book) would be an insult to what I saw. No offense to the south, but no city in the south embraces interacial couples quite like Louisville. NONE!!!

Unread 06-17-2009, 07:43 AM

8,756 posts, read 19,516,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missymomof3 View Post
I've always considered Louisville to be Southern, too. But some very vocal people in the Louisville forum seem determined to prove that Louisville is really Midwestern, and I can see their point in some aspects.

Unread 06-17-2009, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
Yeah, but I would not consider Louisville southern. The last time I was there (summer of 2007 during the Greek Fest at the river front) I was amazed at the number of interacial couples in Louisville. I mean seems like EVERY couple walking downtown were interacial. No offense to the south, but no city in the south embraces interacial couples quite like Louisville. NONE!!!
That is not true. I have seen many interracial couples in Knoxville and Nashville. Heck, I saw a lesbian couple in Sevierville, TN and no one batted an eyelash! I can also tell you that interracial is not the norm here either but it is common.

Unread 06-17-2009, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post
I've always considered Louisville to be Southern, too. But some very vocal people in the Louisville forum seem determined to prove that Louisville is really Midwestern, and I can see their point in some aspects.
Well, some say that the South starts outside the Watterson (I-264). The east end of Louisville is alot different then the rest, I am not comfortable there at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City