U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
View Poll Results: Jacksonville vs. Louisville
Jacksonville, FL 22 52.38%
Louisville, KY 20 47.62%
Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2009, 08:18 AM

4,888 posts, read 5,339,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missymomof3 View Post
That is not true. I have seen many interracial couples in Knoxville and Nashville. Heck, I saw a lesbian couple in Sevierville, TN and no one batted an eyelash! I can also tell you that interracial is not the norm here either but it is common.
Well, I am wasting my time trying to argue this topic with the 'Kentucky Belle' ROTFLMAO. You win!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2009, 08:18 AM

12,802 posts, read 18,983,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post
I've always considered Louisville to be Southern, too. But some very vocal people in the Louisville forum seem determined to prove that Louisville is really Midwestern, and I can see their point in some aspects.
I've known many a native of Louisville over the years...they sure seemed Southern to me.

Old 06-17-2009, 09:13 AM

9,025 posts, read 21,207,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
I've known many a native of Louisville over the years...they sure seemed Southern to me.
You're preaching to the choir here. But head on over to the Louisville forum and see what they have to say on the subject.

Old 06-17-2009, 09:27 AM

14,963 posts, read 17,266,274 times
I voted for Louisville. I love Jacksonville's downtown and proximity to the Ocean but Louisville has very charming urban neighborhoods outside of downtown, a great waterfront park, and if I want to head back to my hometown (Hampton Roads, VA) i can stay straight on I-64 as opposed to dealing with the nightmare of I-95.

Old 06-17-2009, 02:09 PM

8,190 posts, read 6,235,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
Certainly!!! Jax has nearly 800 sq/miles of land and 800,000 people . Here is a list of select cities with their populations and land area.

San Francisco 800,000......47 sq/miles
Atlanta 520,000.....131 sq/miles
Charlotte 700,000......280 sq/miles
Miami 362,000.....35 sq/miles

All of these above listed cities would have well over 1 million people if they covered 800 sq/miles like Jax does. Jax is not very big where it counts.
I think the best way to look at it is using urbanized area population. I don't have immediate access to the latest figures, but I do know that Jacksonville is comparable to its 2nd tier Southern peers when using that criterion.

Old 06-17-2009, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
I think the best way to look at it is using urbanized area population. I don't have immediate access to the latest figures, but I do know that Jacksonville is comparable to its 2nd tier Southern peers when using that criterion.
UA measures non-stop sprawl of a city/area unfortunately. This is one of the main reasons it is not a heavily used measure.

Old 06-17-2009, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Calling it southern (in my book) would be an insult to what I saw. No offense to the south, but no city in the south embraces interacial couples quite like Louisville. NONE!!!
That doesn't make sense. At most, it would be an anomaly, but this one characteristic doesn't disqualify it as Southern altogether.

Old 06-17-2009, 02:15 PM

Quote:
UA measures non-stop sprawl of a city/area unfortunately. This is one of the main reasons it is not a heavily used measure.
But it's a consistent measure across the board, whereas city populations are arbitrary, especially when talking about consolidated cities like Jacksonville. And as big as Charlotte is, there is much sprawl contained even within the city limits.

Old 06-17-2009, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
That doesn't make sense. At most, it would be an anomaly, but this one characteristic doesn't disqualify it as Southern altogether.
I hate to beat this dead horse but I know what I am talking about on this one. I'll just leave it at that.

Old 06-17-2009, 02:28 PM

Quote:
I hate to beat this dead horse but I know what I am talking about on this one. I'll just leave it at that.
I still don't see how that would disqualify Louisville as Southern anymore than Atlanta having a higher than usual gay population would disqualify it as Southern. Doesn't make sense to me at all. And I've visited myself and actually did notice more interracial couples than I'd usually see over this way (it was actually just across the border in Indiana), but it still felt Southern to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City