U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
View Poll Results: Jacksonville vs. Louisville
Jacksonville, FL 22 52.38%
Louisville, KY 20 47.62%
Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2009, 11:42 AM

8,190 posts, read 6,541,658 times

Advertisements

I'm not sure what you mean by "traditional South," as there are various "versions," so to speak, of the South, even in the same state. For instance, in NC, you've got the coastal plain, Piedmont, and the foothills/mountains--all different stripes of the South. There's Deep South, upper/mid South, Gulf Coast, etc. and all of these differ to various extents. The Appalachian mountains have a different demographic mix than the coastal plain (most notably smaller Black and Hispanic populations), but it's still undeniably the South.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2009, 11:44 AM

7,852 posts, read 12,745,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missymomof3 View Post
Honey the Derby Festival is a two week thing... you should be here long enough to experience it all!
I only had the three day weekend...but the city was very busy and exciting during that time.

Old 06-18-2009, 11:44 AM

6,753 posts, read 14,892,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
Ok man, I'll explain myself... Look up the demographics of Louisville and other midwestern cities like Cincy, Indy, and Columbus. You will clearly see a similarity in the % population of blacks, whites, and hispanics.
Here's some demographics of various cities taken from wiki which may or may not be accurate, you be the judge

Cincinatti: According to the 2005-2007 American Community Survey Estimates, the city's population was 52.0% White (49.3% non-Hispanic-White alone), 46.5% Black or African American, 0.9% American Indian and Alaska Native, 2.0% Asian, 1.0% from some other race and 2.4% from two or more races. 1.7% of the total population were Hispanic or Latino (of any race). [3]

Indianapolis: According to the 2007 American Community Survey, the city's population was 68.3% White (63.8% non-Hispanic-White alone), 27.2% Black or African American, 0.7% American Indian and Alaska Native, 1.9% Asian, 0.2% Native Hawaiian and Other Pacific Islander, 4.0% from some other race and 2.2% from two or more races. 6.6% of the total population were Hispanic or Latino of any race.[13]

Columbus: According to the 2007 American Community Survey, the city's population was 67.5% White (63.3% non-Hispanic-White alone), 27.8% Black or African American, 0.8% American Indian and Alaska Native, 4.5% Asian, 0.1% Native Hawaiian and Other Pacific Islander, 1.7% from some other race and 2.2% from two or more races. 4.0% of the total population were Hispanic or Latino of any race.[48]

Jacsonville, FL: According to the 2007 American Community Survey, the city's population was 63.7% White (58.7% non-Hispanic-White alone), 31.0% Black or African American, 0.8% American Indian and Alaska Native, 4.0% Asian, 0.2% Native Hawaiian and Other Pacific Islander, 2.2% from some other race and 1.7% from two or more races. 5.9% of the total population were Hispanic or Latino of any race.[42]

Nashville, TN: According to the 2007 American Community Survey, the population of the Nashville-Davidson metropolitan government (balance) was 65.6% White (60.2% non-Hispanic-White alone), 28.9% Black or African American, 0.6% American Indian and Alaska Native, 3.3% Asian, 0.0% Native Hawaiian and Other Pacific Islander, 2.6% from some other race and 0.9% from two or more races. 7.3% were Hispanic or Latino of any race.

Knoxville, TN: The racial makeup of the city was 79.7% White, 16.2% African American, 1.45% Asian, 0.31% Native American, 0.03% Pacific Islander, 0.72% from other races, and 1.57% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 1.58% of the population

Murfreesboro,TN: The racial makeup of the city was 79.85% White, 13.89% African American, 0.28% Native American, 2.69% Asian, 0.03% Pacific Islander, 1.88% from other races, and 1.38% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 3.53% of the population.

and finally

Louisville, KY: At the 2005-2007 American Community Survey Estimates, the population was 74.8% White (71.7% non-Hispanic White alone), 22.9% Black or African American, 0.6% American Indian and Alaska Native, 2.0% Asian, 0.1% Native Hawaiian and Other Pacific Islander, 1.4% from some other race and 1.6% from two or more races. 2.9% of the total population were Hispanic or Latino (of any race).[42]

Old 06-18-2009, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Ok man, I'll explain myself... Look up the demographics of Louisville and other midwestern cities like Cincy, Indy, and Columbus. You will clearly see a similarity in the % population of blacks, whites, and hispanics. This is one of the reasons (if not THE MAIN reason) why you will see a greater % of blacks dating outside of their race. This is a common midwestern trait that I doubt a person that calls them self the 'Kentucky Belle' is aware of or cares to admit. Take it from me, I have lived in Georgia, Kentucky, Ohio, SC, and now proudly reside in NC. However, once you reach the I-64 corridor in Kentucky, you are no longer in the traditional south. Plain and simple. The only thing that is southern about northern Kentucky is the accents and to be honest southern Ohio and Indiana has the same accent.

Historically however, Kentucky is a southern state and will always be. Culturally, KY is not in step with the traditional south. KY is basically one of those states neither the south or the midwest cares to claim. You can throw WV in there with KY when it comes to that status.
There is no ONE traditional southern culture. It has variations throughout the South, and Louisville is simply one of those variations. That doesn't mean it isn't southern.

Old 06-18-2009, 11:47 AM

By the way, I forgot that I had the Kentucky Belle thing on there, it's been there too long, time for a change!

Old 06-18-2009, 12:03 PM

4,897 posts, read 5,581,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missymomof3 View Post
By the way, I forgot that I had the Kentucky Belle thing on there, it's been there too long, time for a change!
Nice work on the demos. I am impressed. However I was thinking more in terms of the county populations of those cities. It is a well known fact that cities have heavier black populations in the center, and heavier white populations in the burbs. Jefferson county KY is only about 20% black where as Mecklenburg county NC (Charlotte) is about 30% black. 10% is huge when you consider the fact that Mecklenburg has almost 200,000 more people to start with.

BTW, don't take offense to the 'Kentucky Belle' thing. I like it. I was just trying to start a little fight so this thread won't be so BORING.

One more thing, don't get your stats from Wiki. Do like me and get them directly from the US census.

State and County QuickFacts

Last edited by urbancharlotte; 06-18-2009 at 12:57 PM..

Old 06-18-2009, 12:05 PM

4,897 posts, read 5,581,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
There is no ONE traditional southern culture. It has variations throughout the South, and Louisville is simply one of those variations. That doesn't mean it isn't southern.
I agree!!! Louisville is one of those variations that just so happen to be in step with it's midwestern brethren ROTFLMAO!!!

Old 06-18-2009, 12:27 PM

8,190 posts, read 6,541,658 times
Quote:
I agree!!! Louisville is one of those variations that just so happen to be in step with it's midwestern brethren ROTFLMAO!!!
On this one issue. Being that Louisville is located where it is, I would expect it to have a few similarities to Midwestern cities in some respects.

Old 06-18-2009, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
On this one issue. Being that Louisville is located where it is, I would expect it to have a few similarities to Midwestern cities in some respects.

Old 06-19-2009, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Are you still trying to start a fight? Them's fightin' words!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City