Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Jacksonville vs. Louisville
Jacksonville, FL 53 55.79%
Louisville, KY 42 44.21%
Voters: 95. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2017, 01:01 AM

16,505 posts, read 26,083,316 times

Advertisements

Well if you take away the urban core and restaurant/bourbon scene of Louisville, Jax crushes it. That's subjective I guess but that's the major upside to choosing Louisville as the beach and weather is the major upside to choosing Jax. The Landing does suck though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2017, 11:38 AM

2,426 posts, read 2,444,408 times
Louisville all day long for me but I like Jax beaches!!!

Old 03-30-2017, 02:11 PM

7,773 posts, read 10,059,682 times
Sorry Peter, I think your perspective is skewed by your single visit that must have taken you to the wrong places at the wrong time. I won't draw any comparisons with Louisville as I've only been through it once on a short trip, but I will defend certain mischaracterizations of Jax.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter1948 View Post
Really? I was in Jax for a week and it was completely dead. I mean, so dead in the urban core that not even a car was seen driving around on multiple different nights at 9 pm.
If by urban core you mean downtown only, then yes I don't think this is surprising at all. Downtown nightlife is almost exclusively Thu-Sat and even then there are days when it's slow. For the most part, you've got to venture away from downtown for any kind of late night activity, unless there are special events occurring like the Art Walk (First Wednesday of the month), Night Market (Third Thursday), or some other festival.

Quote:
If you are a fan of urban, food, arts, culture, coffee, and architecture, Louisville wins this in a landslide. Like, its not even close. Also in terms of urban vibrancy. There is no nice way to put it that urban Jacksonville is at least 10 years behind most other downtowns. Some troll from Louisville posted some fake stuff about 4th St live and Louisville, but at least its occupied and has pedestrian traffic. Compare that to Jacksonville Landing which is half vacant and very tired looking, and its no comparison (I realize literally no one from Jax goes there any more)
Re: Arts, culture and architecture I imagine you are way off. These are much closer...plenty of architecture buffs rate Jax extremely high in the country...and if you know the history you'd know why. Arts and culture in Jax is actually quite strong across the board, from high arts funded with old money to grassroots indie stuff, we actually hold our own quite well. I could imagine Louisville being stronger in some areas, but unless it's top 10 in the US it is definitely not a landslide.

Quote:
Their suburbs are similar, but Jax has some bigger and better ones. Ask everyone where to head out at night in Jax and they will send you to St John's Town Center, a glorified strip mall 20 mins from downtown (ok its a nice lifestyle center, just not my thing, and very anti urban).
Who were you asking? I'm pretty sure the majority of people would send you to the beaches or Riverside. Only if you're specifically going to Top Golf or an event at Suite or Blackfinn would someone go to SJTC for nightlife. You are correct that it's a very popular lifestyle center, but for people who actually go out in Jax I can't imagine it being a first choice. Unless you talked to people with families or who don't actually go out, this one is quite confusing. (That said, there is hundreds of millions of dollars in development happening out there with lots more focus towards mixed use, so will be interesting to see if there is more nightlife in the area in 5-10 years)

Quote:
The amount of gentrification and urbanization in Riverside, San Marco, and Five Points combined cannot compare to the Highlands of Louisville alone.

Throw in all of urban Louisville, from Old Louisville to downtown, nulu, to butchertown, clifton to crescent hill, to germantown, and even to downtown new albany and Jeffersonille IN, and this is not a good comparison as far as arts, walking, and historic culture. Louisville's better and more numerous festivals are icing on the cake.
Not sure about this cause I really only know half of the equation, but did you really see it all? And if you are gonna just throw out names of hip neighborhoods or gentrifying areas, how bout Brooklyn, Avondale, Murray Hill, Fairfax, Springfield, St Nicholas, Lakewood, LaVilla, Eastside, Arlington. I mean there's a lot of money being funneled into each of these historic areas (to varying degrees of success)

Quote:
Jax has a nice elevated people mover, yet it is used mostly by homeless and vagrants, and I even had a nice conversation with a homeless black man about all the racial problems and "white cops" beating black men. The conversation on the skyway was very offputting. I could see very clearly the racial strife, and found it odd that the skyway seemed mostly used by african americans, even during daytime lunch.
There certainly are racial problems here. It's not as bad as the impression it seems you got, but certainly the issues can't and shouldn't be ignored. (I think this applies for much of the country actually, but Jax is worse than average imo) That said, no the skyway is not used mostly by homeless and vagrants. Interesting that you make that comment and also say its used mostly by African Americans. Are you suggesting that because of their skin color you think that way? Daily Ridership is over 5000...the homeless population in the entire city is half of that.

Quote:
The only way Louisville is losing this poll is it is not very well known, it is further north and landlocked, and it is in KY, which does have some downsides.
Ultimately I'll just sum up my general rebuttal by saying...downtown Jax is way behind most other downtowns. Hopefully we start to catch up in the next decade. And it's hard to just remove the beaches in the comparison since the beaches are pretty awesome and we have 22 miles of beach life, which includes many cool walkable and hip neighborhoods, and a number of the wealthiest parts of town. I'd also argue for including St Augustine and Amelia Island for Jax. They are part of the metro, albeit 45 minutes from downtown Jax, and I know plenty of people who commute to/from both places. St Aug and Amelia Island really give Jax a unique boost. Altogether, although much of it is perhaps a bit hidden, Jax does have a lot to offer.

Old 03-30-2017, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
If go with Louisville even though I've never been. Outside of the beaches, I don't like Jax much.
Based on your posts in CD, I think you would best fit in Riverside. And you might like downtown St Augustine and Fernandina Beach.

Old 03-30-2017, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by projectmaximus View Post
Based on your posts in CD, I think you would best fit in Riverside. And you might like downtown St Augustine and Fernandina Beach.
I looked at the area on Google maps and I like Five Points commercial district better. But when I went about 6-7 years ago, I really liked Jacksonville Beach and the areas around it. Although not very urban, it would be an easy bike ride to the beach or a beer. (Or six)

I've always thought Jax was underrated since that visit. Peter is comparing Jacksonville's weak points with Louisville's strong point. Louisville doesn't have anything that matches the beaches though.

I like St Augustine alot but it was too clean and organized and small for me to live. Too many tourist shops too.

Old 03-30-2017, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
I looked at the area on Google maps and I like Five Points commercial district better. But when I went about 6-7 years ago, I really liked Jacksonville Beach and the areas around it. Although not very urban, it would be an easy bike ride to the beach or a beer. (Or six)

I've always thought Jax was underrated since that visit. Peter is comparing Jacksonville's weak points with Louisville's strong point. Louisville doesn't have anything that matches the beaches though.

I like St Augustine alot but it was too clean and organized and small for me to live. Too many tourist shops too.
Well I didnt parse Peter's comment earlier but it seems now would be a good time for me to clarify that Five Points is part of Riverside. It's actually the heart of Riverside. King St district is the other major commercial section in Riverside, but it is a far more recent development. For many years when you said Riverside you meant Five Points. And actually Five Points is slowly becoming a bit too polished, high end, and yuppy for many people. King St is a lot more of what Five Points used to be...including the CoRK arts district which I was specifically thinking of for you. That's at the Corner of Rosselle and King St (hence the name). Again though, all of this is in Riverside.

I hear you on St Aug...Fernandina Beach/Amelia Island would be even smaller and just as touristy.

Old 03-30-2017, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Well I didnt parse Peter's comment earlier but it seems now would be a good time for me to clarify that Five Points is part of Riverside. It's actually the heart of Riverside. King St district is the other major commercial section in Riverside, but it is a far more recent development. For many years when you said Riverside you meant Five Points. And actually Five Points is slowly becoming a bit too polished, high end, and yuppy for many people. King St is a lot more of what Five Points used to be...including the CoRK arts district which I was specifically thinking of for you. That's at the Corner of Rosselle and King St (hence the name). Again though, all of this is in Riverside.

I hear you on St Aug...Fernandina Beach/Amelia Island would be even smaller and just as touristy.
Oh ok. That makes sense. King St looks pretty new, and I can see Five Points becoming polished. That whole area doesn't seem that old though. Is there an older part of the city?

St. Augustine with some graffiti and stuff would be more my thing.

Is Jacksonville Beach the major nightlife scene? I remember there being some late activity around there years back.

Old 03-30-2017, 05:37 PM

156 posts, read 163,627 times
Jacksonville

Old 03-30-2017, 09:19 PM

9,598 posts, read 9,189,012 times
Quote:
St. Augustine is not all that. It was boring the last time I was there, and I did all of the tourist things.

Old 03-30-2017, 10:18 PM

7,053 posts, read 16,628,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeesha View Post
St. Augustine is not all that. It was boring the last time I was there, and I did all of the tourist things.
Agreed. Also no one has mentioned Louisville has touristy historic Satellite towns just as nice, just not as well known.

Many publications have named Bardstown the nation's "most beautiful small town"
Bardstown, KY: America

Louisville's biggest problem is getting people to actually visit...once they do, they really love it. Many of you from Jax have even admitted you have never been. Louisville actually gains many residents who visit for Derby, fall in love with the charm, and end up moving.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City