Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city do you prefer
Denver Colorado 127 57.47%
Dallas Texas 94 42.53%
Voters: 221. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2017, 07:30 PM

8,856 posts, read 6,851,017 times

Advertisements

Denver was an "it" city in the 70s and early 80s too...that was partially oil, but it was also lifestyle. Wilderness sports were booming and there was even a "John Denver" effect.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2017, 08:15 PM

122 posts, read 129,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parhe View Post
Colorado has only outgrown Texas the past two years, and that was sort of my point. A couple of years don't make the trend, with Texas overall outgrowing Colorado since the last census, or even just five years ago in 2012. Well, four years ago from 2016, not 2017, the current.

State: 2010-2011 2011-2012 2012-2013 2013-2014 2014-2015 2015-2016
Colorado 01.3809% 01.3971% 01.4978% 01.5575% 01.8538% 01.6834%
Texas 01.5928% 01.6582% 01.5414% 01.7800% 01.7996% 01.5784%

https://www.census.gov/data/tables/2...ate-total.html

Two things though.

One, TCHP (I know the post above is from DenBronco8), why go by state numbers? Metro growth numbers are just as easy to find for the US and are more useful for a thread that started out comparing two metros. Not saying this just because I think DFW shows more impressively than Denver, I don't know the rates at the moment of typing this.

MSA: 2010-2011 2011-2012 2012-2013 2013-2014 2014-2015 2015-2016
Denver 01.8019% 01.8044% 01.8995% 02.0128% 02.0485% 01.5758%
DFW 01.8426% 02.0163% 01.6255% 01.9407% 02.0822% 02.0231%

Turns out DFW and Denver has had a similar comparison, with Denver outgrowing DFW in two years out of six, except this time with thtwo years being near the middle of the term, as well as DFW growing faster overall from 2010 and 2012.*

*Minor note, this seems a bit "weird" to me. If these numbers are right, Denver actually grew below average for the state of Colorado from 2015 to 2016, which is a bit hard to believe. Anyone feel free to double check my calculations if you want.

Anyway, the second thing is that CD usually doesn't consider population growth rates as a good indicator of desirability. I think population growth rates can be a good indicator with some caveats, but they really don't tell the whole story. Though, some people here should realize, being able to get a good job and afford a house is something highly desirable to many people. Practical is highly desirable to the vast majority of people, often more so than things like urbanity and climate.

Last part, I got the MSA calculations from the American FactFinder, which doesn't do well with links, and states from just the link below.
https://www.census.gov/data/tables/2...ate-total.html

The only reason people really move to Texas is because the cost of living is cheaper. There is no major draw to Dallas other then maybe the food scene and the shopping and honestly who cares? I can get the most of the same stuff here as I can there. Difference is, I have much better scenery out my back door.

Old 06-14-2017, 08:44 PM

1,982 posts, read 2,088,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DenBronco8 View Post
The only reason people really move to Texas is because the cost of living is cheaper. There is no major draw to Dallas other then maybe the food scene and the shopping and honestly who cares? I can get the most of the same stuff here as I can there. Difference is, I have much better scenery out my back door.
DFW is also more diverse, which gives it an edge on a lot of cultural stuff. Personally, I value that above scenery as do a lot of people I know. In fact, most people don't actually move because of scenery, while I am willing to believe that many, especially ethnic or racial minorities, do move for diversity, or at least a larger community of whatever group they may identify with. Even on these forums, diversity seems to come up more often than scenery does when it comes to relocations.

Old 06-14-2017, 08:55 PM

4,435 posts, read 6,298,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
Umm people are moving to DFW largely because it has a low COL, plenty of jobs, and cheap cookie cutter houses. If you think otherwise you are BSing yourself.
I moved to Dallas without a job lined up because I visited and liked what it has to offer here.

Old 06-14-2017, 09:08 PM

4,435 posts, read 6,298,309 times
Quote:
DFW is also more diverse, which gives it an edge on a lot of cultural stuff. Personally, I value that above scenery as do a lot of people I know. In fact, most people don't actually move because of scenery, while I am willing to believe that many, especially ethnic or racial minorities, do move for diversity, or at least a larger community of whatever group they may identify with. Even on these forums, diversity seems to come up more often than scenery does when it comes to relocations.
A fun, diverse and attractive singles scene and nightlife scene helps attract people to the city as well. There's also just an overall pulse or vibrancy to the city with the pace of things and modern feel of the city. Combine those things with warm weather, great shopping and food, diverse cultural and entertainment options, and plentiful jobs and you can easily see why people are attracted to the area.

The whole "People just move there for jobs and cheap housing" phrase that is thrown around about Texas in general is simply just not an accurate picture. That just seems like people trying to be negative about Texas to downplay it.

Old 06-14-2017, 09:09 PM

814 posts, read 759,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DenBronco8 View Post
Good food, shopping and hot women. Yeah people tend to care about stuff like that.

Old 06-14-2017, 09:17 PM

814 posts, read 759,832 times
The way Americans out side of Texas view of Texas is like the way people who aren't American view the US. Just gets hated on, like an America vs Australia/UK/Germany/insert country and you'll get a lopsided discussion in favor of whatever country it's up against.

Old 06-14-2017, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Yes Dallas is diverse but wth the influx of people moving to Denver, diversity is getting much better here. I give it a few years and it will be much improved. I'm not too worried about it. Denver has no where to go but up.

Old 06-14-2017, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R1070 View Post
A fun, diverse and attractive singles scene and nightlife scene helps attract people to the city as well. There's also just an overall pulse or vibrancy to the city with the pace of things and modern feel of the city. Combine those things with warm weather, great shopping and food, diverse cultural and entertainment options, and plentiful jobs and you can easily see why people are attracted to the area.

The whole "People just move there for jobs and cheap housing" phrase that is thrown around about Texas in general is simply just not an accurate picture. That just seems like people trying to be negative about Texas to downplay it.
I can get all those things in Denver. Maybe not on the scale of Dallas but like I said Denver is growing and fast. I give it a few years and Denver will surpass Dallas on the nightlife and vibrancy. Denver has plenty of nightlife and great food. Dallas isn't so far ahead that it would make one choose Dallas over Denver.

Old 06-14-2017, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaycich View Post
Good food, shopping and hot women. Yeah people tend to care about stuff like that.
I can get just as much good food here honestly. Who cares about shopping, we have plenty of it in Denver. We have hot women too. Not as many since Dallas has a larger population but that's obvious. You're right people do care about that stuff..but if they really are just looking for those three things, then they would move to California. Not Dallas.

By the way, Denvers food scene is highly underrated. We have many a lot non chain restauarants here in Denver and nationally recognized chefs. The show top chef will be filming in Denver this year. We have amazing Mexican food. Just take a drive along federa or through any of the west and north neighborhoodsl and you will see taco trucks, all types of Mexican food. A quick stroll through Colfax and you will find a lot of Ethiopian food and middle eastern. We have a lot of authentic Asian food here. You can find any type of food you like. You will find a diverse selection of foods from all over the country throughout the Metro area.

Last edited by DenBronco8; 06-14-2017 at 09:51 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City