Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city do you prefer
Denver Colorado 127 57.47%
Dallas Texas 94 42.53%
Voters: 221. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2017, 01:36 PM

122 posts, read 129,528 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parhe View Post
I never look into people saying they have always wanted to live amywhere, and I shouldn't have to if a place is highly desirable in this sense. The example cities I've listed are ones I've heard many times each throughout my life with never having looked for it. I'm talking about real life or completely unrelated areas. Not a forum dedicated about moving to a place, or within said metro (reason why I did not include DFW despite hearing it many times in my life, since it has almost always been within DFW from non natives).

Also, since the last census, Texas has outgrown Colorado. Maybe not for the past year (will check when not on mobile later) but a couple of years do not make a trend.
There are Texas license plates everywhere in Colorado. You might not have heard it but I hear it all the time about people wanting to live in Colorado. And he's right, Colorado is growing at a faster rate then Texas and it just so happens that Texans are the ones that are moving here the most right behind California.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2017, 01:55 PM

2,134 posts, read 2,115,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
Dallas - Due to having more large trees and dense stands of trees, more shades of green, more lakes and watersports, more diversity and range of people and culture, lower cost of living, and better economy.

Dallas can be taken at face value and seen exactly for what it is, whether people like it or not, and agree with it or not. Denver is more smoke-and-mirrors, wishful thinking, and PR/advertising dependency (Rocky Mountain dreaming stuff, which often doesn't last, when the real numbers come in and the costs add up).
^^ This pretty much sums it up for me, especially the bolded. Couldn't agree more.

Old 06-14-2017, 02:10 PM

37,877 posts, read 41,910,477 times
I don't have a dog in this fight at all, but it seems hard to believe that there are a substantial amount of people out there saying that they've always wanted to live in Denver when the city has only gotten hot within the past 10 years or so. You typically only hear that about big cities that have been prominent in the national psyche for much, much longer. Now I can understand millenials or Gen X'ers gushing about Denver to an extent, since the city has only gotten popular relatively recently and even more so with the legalization of marijuana.

Old 06-14-2017, 03:26 PM

6,083 posts, read 10,695,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
I don't have a dog in this fight at all, but it seems hard to believe that there are a substantial amount of people out there saying that they've always wanted to live in Denver when the city has only gotten hot within the past 10 years or so. You typically only hear that about big cities that have been prominent in the national psyche for much, much longer. Now I can understand millenials or Gen X'ers gushing about Denver to an extent, since the city has only gotten popular relatively recently and even more so with the legalization of marijuana.
The mountains have always been a draw and that's what a lot of people come here for. Denver and Colorado didn't just get popular within the last 10 years. And Marijuana legalization doesn't really have that much to do with the growth considering growth has slowed down in the city compared to the beginning of the decade.

This is kinda silly though, because I'm sure many people have always wanted to I've in Texas too.

Old 06-14-2017, 04:57 PM

37,877 posts, read 41,910,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mezter View Post
The mountains have always been a draw and that's what a lot of people come here for. Denver and Colorado didn't just get popular within the last 10 years. And Marijuana legalization doesn't really have that much to do with the growth considering growth has slowed down in the city compared to the beginning of the decade.

This is kinda silly though, because I'm sure many people have always wanted to I've in Texas too.
I'm not talking about the mountains; I'm talking about Denver itself. And yes, Denver has only become an "it" city relatively recently, along with the likes of Minneapolis, Austin, etc. Denver hasn't historically been a "lifestyle city" in the same vein as NYC, LA, SF, etc. that a bunch of people have been breaking their necks to get to. Let's not be obtuse here.

Old 06-14-2017, 05:15 PM

11,070 posts, read 7,142,399 times
Quote:
...Denver hasn't historically been a "lifestyle city" in the same vein as NYC, LA, SF, etc. that a bunch of people have been breaking their necks to get to.
That's true. And it largely declines, setbacks, and negatives elsewhere that are mostly now bringing people to Denver. I see lots of people coming to the city from other locations that are experiencing issues, such as rapidly increasing costs and government issues (such as CA), increasing crime, or simply increasing frustration over cold-humid winters. In other words, it's more about people flocking to Denver because of negatives elsewhere, rather than pluses and glories of Denver.

Last edited by Thoreau424; 06-14-2017 at 05:29 PM..

Old 06-14-2017, 05:41 PM

8,603 posts, read 14,881,270 times
Quote:
That's true. And it largely declines, setbacks, and negatives elsewhere that are mostly now bringing people to Denver. I see lots of people coming to the city from other locations that are experiencing issues, such as rapidly increasing costs and government issues (such as CA), increasing crime, or simply increasing frustration over cold-humid winters. In other words, it's more about people flocking to Denver because of negatives elsewhere, rather than pluses and glories of Denver.
Umm people are moving to DFW largely because it has a low COL, plenty of jobs, and cheap cookie cutter houses. If you think otherwise you are BSing yourself.

Old 06-14-2017, 05:44 PM

11,070 posts, read 7,142,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
Umm people are moving to DFW largely because it has a low COL, plenty of jobs, and cheap cookie cutter houses.
Well, great for DFW. So what? I've never lived there, and am not going to waste time talking about a place I know little about.

Old 06-14-2017, 05:45 PM

6,083 posts, read 10,695,817 times
Quote:
I'm not talking about the mountains; I'm talking about Denver itself. And yes, Denver has only become an "it" city relatively recently, along with the likes of Minneapolis, Austin, etc. Denver hasn't historically been a "lifestyle city" in the same vein as NYC, LA, SF, etc. that a bunch of people have been breaking their necks to get to. Let's not be obtuse here.
Like I said, many people come to Denver for the mountains and scenery near by. It shouldn't be that hard to believe that people say they've been wanting to live here because of that reason alone. I'm buy no means saying Denver is in the same vein as those cities however.
Quote:
The proof...where is it? In that case, no place is truly growing, and people are just moving to these places in order to escape the problems of the city they came from. And why would they move somewhere increasingly more expensive though?

Old 06-14-2017, 07:00 PM

1,982 posts, read 2,088,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DenBronco8 View Post
There are Texas license plates everywhere in Colorado. You might not have heard it but I hear it all the time about people wanting to live in Colorado. And he's right, Colorado is growing at a faster rate then Texas and it just so happens that Texans are the ones that are moving here the most right behind California.
Colorado has only outgrown Texas the past two years, and that was sort of my point. A couple of years don't make the trend, with Texas overall outgrowing Colorado since the last census, or even just five years ago in 2012. Well, four years ago from 2016, not 2017, the current.

State: 2010-2011 2011-2012 2012-2013 2013-2014 2014-2015 2015-2016
Colorado 01.3809% 01.3971% 01.4978% 01.5575% 01.8538% 01.6834%
Texas 01.5928% 01.6582% 01.5414% 01.7800% 01.7996% 01.5784%

https://www.census.gov/data/tables/2...ate-total.html

Two things though.

One, TCHP (I know the post above is from DenBronco8), why go by state numbers? Metro growth numbers are just as easy to find for the US and are more useful for a thread that started out comparing two metros. Not saying this just because I think DFW shows more impressively than Denver, I don't know the rates at the moment of typing this.

MSA: 2010-2011 2011-2012 2012-2013 2013-2014 2014-2015 2015-2016
Denver 01.8019% 01.8044% 01.8995% 02.0128% 02.0485% 01.5758%
DFW 01.8426% 02.0163% 01.6255% 01.9407% 02.0822% 02.0231%

Turns out DFW and Denver has had a similar comparison, with Denver outgrowing DFW in two years out of six, except this time with thtwo years being near the middle of the term, as well as DFW growing faster overall from 2010 and 2012.*

*Minor note, this seems a bit "weird" to me. If these numbers are right, Denver actually grew below average for the state of Colorado from 2015 to 2016, which is a bit hard to believe. Anyone feel free to double check my calculations if you want.

Anyway, the second thing is that CD usually doesn't consider population growth rates as a good indicator of desirability. I think population growth rates can be a good indicator with some caveats, but they really don't tell the whole story. Though, some people here should realize, being able to get a good job and afford a house is something highly desirable to many people. Practical is highly desirable to the vast majority of people, often more so than things like urbanity and climate.

Last part, I got the MSA calculations from the American FactFinder, which doesn't do well with links, and states from just the link below.
https://www.census.gov/data/tables/2...ate-total.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City