U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
View Poll Results: Do you view Toronto as a Midwestern city?
Yes 28 23.73%
No 72 61.02%
Maybe 18 15.25%
Voters: 118. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2009, 10:06 AM

2,950 posts, read 1,855,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by garmin239 View Post
Like I said before, the northeast consists of more cities than NYC. I live in Rochester for example. The demographics, lay of the land, dress is nothing like the midwest. How much time have you actually spent in these cities? Albany has nowhere near a NYC accent, I don't know where you get that from.
I don't think you know much about the Midwest either based on your posts. The demographics of the Rust Belt are nearly identical among the different cities, regardless of whether they are Midwest or Northeast. All of the Rust Belt cities have high Black populations as well as ethnic white populations (Italian, Irish, Polish, etc). The dominant religion is no doubt going to be Catholicism, followed by Judaism. The major industries are going to be related manufacturing and shipping. The landscape is going to be very forested and have lots of lakes. People dress more casual than they do in the coastal cities, most likely shopping at malls. See we're not so different.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2009, 10:29 AM

3,235 posts, read 5,010,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjacobeclark View Post
I don't think you know much about the Midwest either based on your posts. The demographics of the Rust Belt are nearly identical among the different cities, regardless of whether they are Midwest or Northeast. All of the Rust Belt cities have high Black populations as well as ethnic white populations (Italian, Irish, Polish, etc). The dominant religion is no doubt going to be Catholicism, followed by Judaism. The major industries are going to be related manufacturing and shipping. The landscape is going to be very forested and have lots of lakes. People dress more casual than they do in the coastal cities, most likely shopping at malls. See we're not so different.
several things you described apply to several northeastern cities. They dress casual in Hartford providence and burlington. The demographics of a place like Rochester are nothing like the Midwest. Rochester has more of an Italian influence which is more in line with te northeast. Rochester also has a larger Hispanic influence than your averag Midwest city. Heavy manufacturing us not a Midwest thing. It was common among several northeastern and mid Atlantic cities. Heavy forests are common all over the northeast as are lakes

Old 06-24-2009, 10:50 AM

1,457 posts, read 2,557,929 times
Quote:
several things you described apply to several northeastern cities. They dress casual in Hartford providence and burlington. The demographics of a place like Rochester are nothing like the Midwest. Rochester has more of an Italian influence which is more in line with te northeast. Rochester also has a larger Hispanic influence than your averag Midwest city. Heavy manufacturing us not a Midwest thing. It was common among several northeastern and mid Atlantic cities. Heavy forests are common all over the northeast as are lakes
It's a different kind of casual dress in Hartford and especially Burlington and Providence. Folks from those cities area dress casual but neater. To be blunt, upstate NY is full of overweight people wearing baggy clothes.
I travel from Burlington to Albany a lot and the difference is striking.

Old 06-24-2009, 11:02 AM

3,235 posts, read 5,010,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quickdraw View Post
It's a different kind of casual dress in Hartford and especially Burlington and Providence. Folks from those cities area dress casual but neater. To be blunt, upstate NY is full of overweight people wearing baggy clothes.
I travel from Burlington to Albany a lot and the difference is striking.
That's just not true at all. You only see baggy clothes on hip hop people. Now that I think about it, Rochester has more of a "guido" style with spikey hair, affliction gear, etc. People like that stick out in the Midwest. That style is a cleaner style.

Old 06-24-2009, 11:22 AM

Quote:
several things you described apply to several northeastern cities. They dress casual in Hartford providence and burlington.
Hartford is the insurance capital of the US, and last I checked the insurance industry isn't a very casual work environment. Providence has a reputation of being a boutique city for wealthy Northeasterners. Burlington is pretty much a college town full of hippies and snowboarders, so of course people are going to dress more casual there.

Quote:
The demographics of a place like Rochester are nothing like the Midwest. Rochester has more of an Italian influence which is more in line with te northeast.
Philadelphia has the highest Italian population in the US followed by Chicago.

Rochester, NY:
German (10.9%)
Italian (10.0%)
Irish (9.6%)
English (5.8%)
Polish (2.7%)

Milwaukee, WI:
German (38%)
Polish (12.7%)
Irish (10%)
English (5.1%)
Italian (4.4%)
French (3.9%)

Quote:
Rochester also has a larger Hispanic influence than your averag Midwest city.
We're not talking about "your average Midwest city" like Omaha or Indianapolis, we're talking about Upper Midwest/Great Lakes cities.

Rochester, NY:
Hispanic (13.6%)

Milwaukee, WI:
Hispanic (15.1%)

Quote:
Heavy manufacturing us not a Midwest thing. It was common among several northeastern and mid Atlantic cities.
You are correct, the heavy manufacturing states extend all the way from Duluth, MN to the Northeast and even dips down into West Virginia. This region, as I'm sure you're aware, is known as the Rust Belt.

Quote:
Heavy forests are common all over the northeast as are lakes
Just as they are common in the Upper Midwest states like Minnesota, Wisconsin, and Michigan. You're not really doing a very good job proving me wrong here. If anything, you've done a wonderful job showing how similar both the Upper Midwest and Northeast actually are.

Old 06-24-2009, 11:28 AM

318 posts, read 55,620 times
Quote:
"Knowledge of foreign languages" doesn't necessarily have anything to do with specific languages such as German or French, it could just as easily refer to Spanish or Chinese. Last time I checked, there aren't huge numbers of Western Europeans moving to the US. Why would they? Immigrants usually tend to come from less prosperous nations, in an effort to make a better life for themselves.

"Exciting or glamorous character associated with travel" is very much associated with Chicago. After all, O'Hare is among the busiest airports in the world for a very good reason.
I can only agree with one point you made: "you are not aware." You are not aware that New York and LA are full of immigrants from rich nations including Western Europe and Japan who come here to work in multinational corporations plus various professionals, artists, actors, models etc who come here to advance their career. You are not aware that in New York it is in good tone to speak at least one foreign language and people tend to travel more which is reflected in New York Times' travel section that routinely reviews international locations such as Tuscany in Europe. Unlike Toronto, Chicago is NOT a cosmopolitan city even though it is located near one of the largest international airports in the world.

Old 06-24-2009, 11:47 AM

767 posts, read 767,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefinalcut View Post
I can only agree with one point you made: "you are not aware." You are not aware that New York and LA are full of immigrants from rich nations including Western Europe and Japan who come here to work in multinational corporations plus various professionals, artists, actors, models etc who come here to advance their career. You are not aware that in New York it is in good tone to speak at least one foreign language and people tend to travel more which is reflected in New York Times' travel section that routinely reviews international locations such as Tuscany in Europe. Unlike Toronto, Chicago is NOT a cosmopolitan city even though it is located near one of the largest international airports in the world.
I find this to be typical ignorance of a NY'er to the outside world. The cultural institutions of Chicago are every bit as good, many would say better than NY. Most NY'ers like any other place do not fit in the "cosmopolitan" world traveled mode of which you speak. Most just work hard just to get by just like anyplace else. These few rich foreigners that you mention are present as well in most major cosmo cities in America including Chicago. These people, although some live here, constitute a small group of a given population. Perhaps you should venture outside of NY and visit other places in America to open your eyes to reality. We already have enough of this on CD as it is

Old 06-24-2009, 11:59 AM

Quote:
You're completely full of sh*t. I'm going to stop responding to you now because you're so utterly ridiculous.

Old 06-24-2009, 12:22 PM

318 posts, read 55,620 times
Quote:
You're completely full of sh*t. I'm going to stop responding to you now because you're so utterly ridiculous.
Full of sh*t? Do you always react this way whenver you come across an opinion that is different than yours? Pretty immature.
New York has the highest percentage of population employed by international corporations of all US cities. Actors, artists and designers flock to New York from around the world to take advantage of its huge art market.

Last edited by thefinalcut; 06-24-2009 at 12:32 PM..

Old 06-24-2009, 12:28 PM

1,457 posts, read 2,557,929 times
Quote:
One thing that is killing Toronto is the accent. That accent sounds like the speaker should have crossed eyes too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City