U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
View Poll Results: Which city is MORE southern, Miami or San Antonio?
Miami 28 19.58%
San Antonio 80 55.94%
Neither is a part of the South. 35 24.48%
Voters: 143. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2009, 08:46 PM

81 posts, read 147,376 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
Have you ever been to San Antonio??? Miami is very southern in parts and San Antonio's most southern parts are only semi-southern. San Antonio has a very southwestern feel to it.

My Mother is from San Antonio and I went to high school and college there. I have lived in Houston for the last 11 years and guess what; this is nothing like the Carolinas or even Georgia. It is as I said before, South-Lite. I have also been to Miami and it is not southern-try Pensacola or Jacksonville, just my opinion.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2009, 08:53 PM

13,468 posts, read 14,953,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by schertz1 View Post
My Mother is from San Antonio and I went to high school and college there. I have lived in Houston for the last 11 years and guess what; this is nothing like the Carolinas or even Georgia. It is as I said before, South-Lite. I have also been to Miami and it is not southern-try Pensacola or Jacksonville, just my opinion.
I can agree with this. But Houston and Miami are essentially Southern cities. Just not in your face like Pensacola or Augusta.

That said, San Antonio isn't a full Southernwestern city either. It's Texan. In the Southwest, it's not only hispanic and white. People forget about the Native Americans that has a huge influence in the region. San Antonio shares some characteristics. But it's not a 100% Southwestern city.

Old 06-18-2009, 09:04 PM

15,831 posts, read 19,964,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
I can agree with this. But Houston and Miami are essentially Southern cities. Just not in your face like Pensacola or Augusta.

That said, San Antonio isn't a full Southernwestern city either. It's Texan. In the Southwest, it's not only hispanic and white. People forget about the Native Americans that has a huge influence in the region. San Antonio shares some characteristics. But it's not a 100% Southwestern city.
agreed. People would tie Miami to the south more than they would with San Antonio.

Old 06-18-2009, 09:06 PM

19,646 posts, read 51,214,300 times
Both cities have big Hispanic influences, which doesnt make them feel very Southern to me at all. But of the two, San Antonio gets the edge.

Old 06-18-2009, 11:33 PM

8,051 posts, read 9,801,549 times
Miami is part of the South alright....South America!

Old 06-19-2009, 12:14 AM

13,339 posts, read 13,509,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
Have you ever been to San Antonio??? Miami is very southern in parts and San Antonio's most southern parts are only semi-southern. San Antonio has a very southwestern feel to it.
THIS I definitely agree with. There isn't anything all that southern about San Antonio. From the Missions, to the geography and topography, to the architecture.

Old 06-19-2009, 12:18 AM

13,339 posts, read 13,509,993 times
San Antonio I guess is MAYBE more southern. People OFTEN, OFTEN forget that Miami is GEOGRAPHICALY closer to the Caribbean and the Bahamas then it is to Georgia and the rest of the south. And Miami didn't become a city til AFTER the Civil War. Think about that guys.

Old 06-19-2009, 12:28 PM

536 posts, read 867,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
San Antonio I guess is MAYBE more southern. People OFTEN, OFTEN forget that Miami is GEOGRAPHICALY closer to the Caribbean and the Bahamas then it is to Georgia and the rest of the south.
Forgot to add that to the list of influences in Miami. But how does this or any other thing you mentioned take away from it being less "Southern" than San Antonio? I've been to San Antonio and have had a friend from there, and the place always strikes me as Texican, like I said.

Old 06-19-2009, 01:10 PM
Status: " On and off line interchangeably" (set 6 days ago)

9,823 posts, read 11,312,745 times
Interesting poll and and question...and for sure some good comments and observations made!

I would pick San Antonio over Miami...but yet I haven't been to the latter, so this opinion would be based only on what I know about San Antonio and what I have only heard about Miami. In other words, this would be a biased opinion and with not much to back it up in the realm of contrasts.

What I can say is that I have never heard of (but again, this means nothing) Miami touting itself as a "Southern" city. Whereas, San Antonio has.

Maybe not so much anymore -- what with the ever increasing hispanic population -- but at least up until the 1960's it advertized itself as something along the lines of a "blend of Old South and Old Mexico".

Far as that goes, even today, Texas Rep. Henry Gonzales, on his website, says:

As throughout its storied history, San Antonio continues to be the crossroads of many different cultures and traditions. From the original Native American tribes to the Spanish missionaries to the early Mexican republic to the German settlers to the cowboys of the cattle trails to the grandeur and majesty of the Old South to the military bases, San Antonio represents the beautiful tapestry of the myriad influences and styles of South Texas.

And I do know, that this blurb is backed up by the fact most of the older neighborhoods are extremely Southern in style and architecture and "feel". The original historic downtown area has a strong "Old South" component, there is the old Robert E. Lee hotel (one of the "classics") in the area.

Anyway, interesting....!

Old 06-19-2009, 01:17 PM

2,703 posts, read 2,189,115 times
I wouldn't consider either actually southern. But San Antonio's friendly down the earth small town feel has more in common with the south than the celebrity playground of miami...so I think San Antonio wins.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City