U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is LESS southern, Austin or NOVA(North Virginia)?
Austin 34 21.38%
North Virginia 125 78.62%
Voters: 159. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2009, 03:56 PM

18,163 posts, read 25,718,679 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
Georgetown and Pflugerville is southern to me. Killeen definitely has a southern vibe to it; the people there would even call themselves southern.
Killeen doesn't have a Southern vibe. Killeen doesn't even have a Texan vibe. Killeen as it stands right now is just there. It doesn't have an identity. Most of the people in Killeen are not from the South nor Texas. It's a straight military town. I went to school with more New Yorkers, Californians, and Philadelphians than Atlantans and Carolinians in Middle and in High School. Now we did love listening to Houston music and sometimes Memphis music. West Coast was HUGE in Killeen before I left.

Georgetown and Pflugerville is southern-lite I guess. It's not nearly as Southern as cities even in East Texas let alone cities in Mississippi. Round Rock and especially Austin does not remind me of the South.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2009, 06:34 PM

15,989 posts, read 29,634,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Killeen doesn't have a Southern vibe. Killeen doesn't even have a Texan vibe. Killeen as it stands right now is just there. It doesn't have an identity. Most of the people in Killeen are not from the South nor Texas. It's a straight military town. I went to school with more New Yorkers, Californians, and Philadelphians than Atlantans and Carolinians in Middle and in High School. Now we did love listening to Houston music and sometimes Memphis music. West Coast was HUGE in Killeen before I left.

Georgetown and Pflugerville is southern-lite I guess. It's not nearly as Southern as cities even in East Texas let alone cities in Mississippi. Round Rock and especially Austin does not remind me of the South.
Actually the Killeen area has a huge Texan population as well. Many Texan's from the surrounding area have migrated there.

Even still being located right by Temple and Belton. You don't have one southern area than automatically lose it that quick.

Old 06-20-2009, 07:05 PM

18,163 posts, read 25,718,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
Actually the Killeen area has a huge Texan population as well. Many Texan's from the surrounding area have migrated there.

Even still being located right by Temple and Belton. You don't have one southern area than automatically lose it that quick.
Well if it can happen in the DC area, it can happen to anywhere else because once you leave the DC area, you are instantly in the South.

As far as Killeen, it does not really have a large Texan population. Most of the people living there is there because of the military. Many people there dislike Texas though the only place they have been to in Texas is the Killeen area. They don't root for the Texas college teams much and if they are, it's the Longhorns. You will see just as many out of state plates in Killeen percentage wise like you will in the major cities in Texas. I would say you will have more people coming from out of state then people coming in from Cameron, Rockdale, Lampasas, or Florence. There are no accents in Killeen. It's actually pretty fast paced for a city it's size. It doesn't strike anyone from there as a Southern city at all. Not to mention that the Killeen area is growing towards Austin and thus is affecting Georgetown a bit. But very slowly.

Old 06-20-2009, 08:23 PM

13,997 posts, read 21,829,112 times
Quote:
Yeah there was a thread on a University of Texas site about this topic (about if Austin is Southern or not ) and more than 70% of the voters said that Austin is not Southern. It is purely Texan/Southwestern. I disagree that it's Southwestern but definitely agree that it's Texan.
Exactly.

Old 06-20-2009, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by City Fanatic View Post
1. Southern accent extends out to Odessa and southeastern New Mexico.

2. Most popular denomination is Southern Baptist

3. Southern foods are popular

4. Much of the area settled by people from points eastward.

Am I missing something here?

I'm from Georgia, and traveling back home from California, I felt like I was back in my region once I got to around Odessa. We walked into a Wal-Mart to pick up supplies, and the clerks and the people around me were speaking with identifiable southern accents that were different from what we'd experienced in southern California, Arizona, and the areas of New Mexico in which we traveled.
1 Tex Mex is also popular, which REALLY isn't popular east of the Sabine River.
2. California was settled by people from the east also, heck you can even find decedents of Okies and Texans throughout Cali, but Cali is still part of the west coast.
3.You can find plenty of catholic churches also.
4. You can find Southern cuisine in Brooklyn.
5. They have WalMarts EVERYWHERE.

I NOW live in Charlotte NC. And I have driven ALL over the south, NOWHERE EAST of I-45 feels like Austin. You may have felt at home driving from CA, but I felt out of place moving to NC.

Old 06-20-2009, 08:38 PM

Quote:
1. There is no accent in Austin.
2. Most popular denomination in Austin is now Catholic.
3. Tex-Mex is now more popular in Austin along with Texas style of BBQ.
4. Has no bearing on what the city is like today.
Exactly.

Old 06-20-2009, 08:40 PM

Quote:
It is? I would say no city South and West reminds me of the South. I would never call Killeen a Southern city because it's a military town. Now east is a different story. Giddings eh. Brenhem oh yeah, that's Southern.
I would say once you get to MAYBE Elgin is when you start feeling the south. MAYBE Elgin.

Old 06-20-2009, 08:43 PM

Quote:

I grew up in round rock. Round Rock reminds me HARDLY anything of the south. Nothing in Round Rock really says Southern to me. Basically the WHOLE Austin metro doesn't seem southern to me. Points east is where the south begins. I just think Austin is to close to SA.

Old 06-20-2009, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Well if it can happen in the DC area, it can happen to anywhere else because once you leave the DC area, you are instantly in the South.

As far as Killeen, it does not really have a large Texan population. Most of the people living there is there because of the military. Many people there dislike Texas though the only place they have been to in Texas is the Killeen area. They don't root for the Texas college teams much and if they are, it's the Longhorns. You will see just as many out of state plates in Killeen percentage wise like you will in the major cities in Texas. I would say you will have more people coming from out of state then people coming in from Cameron, Rockdale, Lampasas, or Florence. There are no accents in Killeen. It's actually pretty fast paced for a city it's size. It doesn't strike anyone from there as a Southern city at all. Not to mention that the Killeen area is growing towards Austin and thus is affecting Georgetown a bit. But very slowly.
And Austin is growing towards San Antonio.

Old 06-21-2009, 06:22 AM

925 posts, read 2,217,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
1 Tex Mex is also popular, which REALLY isn't popular east of the Sabine River.
I never stated that there wasn't some cultural crossover or overlapping. In general, however, it's still southern.

Quote:
2. California was settled by people from the east also, heck you can even find decedents of Okies and Texans throughout Cali, but Cali is still part of the west coast.
You're talking about a very small minority composed primarily to the desert areas of California and Bakersfield. In terms of California, the population is so small that its influence on the state is almost nil. However, in the areas of Texas out to Odessa, the "southern" population is in the majority, and it influences the culture hugely.

Quote:
3.You can find plenty of catholic churches also.
Not amongst the white population. Illegal-Alien descended Mexicans are Catholic.

Quote:
4. You can find Southern cuisine in Brooklyn.
A very tiny population of blacks who came from the South. I can find Chinese in Georgia, it doesn't make Georgia Chinese.

Quote:
5. They have WalMarts EVERYWHERE.
Wal-Mart is nationwide. What's your point?

Quote:
I NOW live in Charlotte NC. And I have driven ALL over the south, NOWHERE EAST of I-45 feels like Austin. You may have felt at home driving from CA, but I felt out of place moving to NC.
Charlotte is by far larger and more dynamic than Austin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City