U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: Which is LESS southern, Austin or NOVA(North Virginia)?
Austin 34 21.38%
North Virginia 125 78.62%
Voters: 159. You may not vote on this poll

 
 
Old 06-21-2009, 07:17 AM
 
Location: suburb of Chicago
114 posts, read 498,280 times
Reputation: 32

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdevelop2 View Post
Austin has an enormous amount of transplants from California and NOVA has an enormous amount of transplants from the NE and everywhere else who work in the D.C. area. So in 2009, which area is LESS southern?
Has it ever occured to you that half of California is in the south.. Most of California's population is southern. Southern to me means from the south. not something like cowboys. Texas is southern in their own way. California is southern in their own way. Evn Mississippi and Louisiana are southern in their own way.
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-21-2009, 09:19 AM
 
Location: Washington D.C. By way of Texas
18,219 posts, read 25,914,317 times
Reputation: 8983
Quote:
Originally Posted by niac12345 View Post
Has it ever occured to you that half of California is in the south.. Most of California's population is southern. Southern to me means from the south. not something like cowboys. Texas is southern in their own way. California is southern in their own way. Evn Mississippi and Louisiana are southern in their own way.
There is NOTHING Southern about California.

Quote:
Charlotte is by far larger and more dynamic than Austin.
Charlotte has 2.1 million in its metro.
Austin has 1.6 million in its metro.
It's not far larger at all.

Quote:
Not amongst the white population. Illegal-Alien descended Mexicans are Catholic.
There is a growing Catholic faith happening in the urban Texas cities amongst ALL races and not all the Mexicans in Texas are illegal-alien descents.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-21-2009, 10:21 AM
 
10,167 posts, read 16,647,876 times
Reputation: 5695
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
There is NOTHING Southern about California.
Definitely agreed, Spade. As CF mentioned, there are enclaves (noteably Bakersfield) where there is a "Southern" vibe (because of Texas, Okie, and Arkie migrants during the Great Depression), but this is very much an exception to the whole general history and culture of California.

Quote:
There is a growing Catholic faith happening in the urban Texas cities amongst ALL races and not all the Mexicans in Texas are illegal-alien descents.
True, but I think CF's point is well taken so far as concerns church membership in Texas. The recent increase in the numbers of Catholics (and Catholic churches) in Texas is very proportional to the rise in hispanic immigration (and a lot of it is illegal...no way around that one) and the numbers of northern transplants. The vast majority of both black and white native Texans are of the Protestant faith, with the Southern Baptist Church still easily being the largest denomination.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-21-2009, 10:46 AM
 
3,567 posts, read 7,516,466 times
Reputation: 2854
Austin, most definitely.

NoVA has mostly been colonized by northerners, but every so often you do run into people from the south. Other elements of NoVA are very, very "southern": the massive, ****ed-up grid system that was clearly designed by a mentally challenged paint huffer. The endless suburbs arranged in no particular order, the almost non-existent retail (where else can you find clusters of high rises and no gas stations or grocery stores?) the strict control placed on the sale of alcohol, the unusually high number of Baptist churches and the fact that everything... everything... closes at 8.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-21-2009, 11:05 AM
 
Location: Washington D.C.
123 posts, read 215,832 times
Reputation: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by coldwine View Post
Austin, most definitely.

NoVA has mostly been colonized by northerners, but every so often you do run into people from the south. Other elements of NoVA are very, very "southern": the massive, ****ed-up grid system that was clearly designed by a mentally challenged paint huffer. The endless suburbs arranged in no particular order, the almost non-existent retail (where else can you find clusters of high rises and no gas stations or grocery stores?) the strict control placed on the sale of alcohol, the unusually high number of Baptist churches and the fact that everything... everything... closes at 8.
I love what you said about the grid system.

NOVA totally sucks *** unless one lives in Arlington or Alexandria. The rest really is a POS.

Haven't been to Austin, though I've been told it's like Columbus only with good music. Is there any truth to that?
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-21-2009, 03:26 PM
 
4,945 posts, read 8,265,265 times
Reputation: 2037
Hmmm! No retail in Nova? Tysons I & II, Pentagon City, Dulles Town Center, Potomac Mills, etc....

Baptist Churches in Nova? WTF

Coldflu, Did you know that Tysons has more office space and retail than most American cities? Once again your facts are tainted because you don't want to pay your taxes. What gives?
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-21-2009, 03:29 PM
 
4,945 posts, read 8,265,265 times
Reputation: 2037
NOVA has the advantage of being connected to DC, therefore it is more cosmopolitan and diverse than Austin.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-21-2009, 03:30 PM
 
Location: Northern VA (for now)
23,010 posts, read 31,965,939 times
Reputation: 30400
Quote:
Originally Posted by FordPony90 View Post
I love what you said about the grid system.

NOVA totally sucks *** unless one lives in Arlington or Alexandria. The rest really is a POS.

Haven't been to Austin, though I've been told it's like Columbus only with good music. Is there any truth to that?
I live in NoVA right now and i think it is all a POS. That includes Alexandria (where i live) and Arlington.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-21-2009, 05:10 PM
 
44,594 posts, read 43,126,107 times
Reputation: 14391
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
There is NOTHING Southern about California.


Charlotte has 2.1 million in its metro.
Austin has 1.6 million in its metro.
It's not far larger at all.



There is a growing Catholic faith happening in the urban Texas cities amongst ALL races and not all the Mexicans in Texas are illegal-alien descents.
Very true. You also should take into accounr the rather sizeable Czech, German, and Polish population living in Texas. Many brought the Catholic faith with them. TX was also part of Spain so you might also have people of Spanish descent still living in TX.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-21-2009, 07:11 PM
 
Location: Austin, Texas/ Sewanee, Tennessee
43 posts, read 96,414 times
Reputation: 48
It depends on where you are in Austin. If you are in Tarrytown, Pimberton Heights, Clarksville, or Old Enfield, Austin is for sure southern. This is all old West Austin. When you head over to what the yuppies tend to call "SoCo" (makes me vomit when I here this) you have now transfered to California. It depends on where you are in the city, but Austin has plenty of southern aspects. I'd be damned if anyone not from these parts is going to tell me that West Austin is not southern. Step down.
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top