Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-17-2010, 11:32 PM

1,179 posts, read 2,052,951 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
My friend in Austin (who's she to talk about a spread-out city!) warned me about how spread-out Dallas was, and I usually avoid sprawling cities, but I found Dallas to be pleasantly urban. I was impressed as I walked downtown to see most of the older buildings converted to lofts/condo's and no abandoned buildings and not a lot of surface parking lots.

While there I had read of plans to restore the Statler Hilton and the old LTD? Tower into luxury condo's.

I had been to Houston, prior to my trip to Dallas, for the first time, and I saw three high-rise older Hotels abandoned near the bus depot, and way too many surface parking lots.

On this recent trip, I was keeping a third eye open for a place to retire.
A light rail system would be the biggest plus in my considerations. And what choices are there in the southern regions for that? Phoenix just installed a 21mile initial run last year. And then there's Atlanta.

But it would take some adjustments after being a desert rat for 17 years.
I've talked to some who have lived in Dallas and they warn me of high humidity (can't possibly be worse than Houston) and one person who lived there complained of the mosquitos in summer. There's no mosquito's in the desert here, so that would be an adjustment to make. Are they really that bad there in Dallas. It's hard to believe! Or was I misled?
As far as the mosquitoes I don't know about Dallas but they're horrible in Houston. Eight months out of the year the mosquitoes are really bad here. If you move to Houston Off or Deep Woods will quickly become your best friends. It's hard to enjoy the outdoors here because the mosquitoes are really bad. Mosquitoes are definitely one of Houston's low points.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2010, 07:57 AM

9,221 posts, read 15,865,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frodo2008 View Post
Yes living in Dallas the humidity will be a problem. Compared to LV it will be a lot more humid. I actually live in Houston and it's very humid here in the summer. Dallas is a little better than Houston but is still pretty humid. The public transportation is better in Dallas than it is here in Houston. Public transportation in Houston sucks but it's a little better in Dallas. Dallas and Houston both have low cost of living compared to most of the nation. This is definitely one of TX' huge benefits: the low cost of living. I've been to LA, SF, Washington DC, Boston, etc and none of those places can compare to TX when it comes to cost of living. Every time I've thought of moving to one of those places I would start thinking about the cost of living and then suddenly I felt like Houston was a great place. Most people really like TX because you get lots of bang for your buck. In NYC you'll get a tiny apartment and in Houston you'll get a nice house with a yard. If you're thinking about a nice place for retirement you could also check out Austin and San Antonio.
Public transportation doesn't suck in Houston. Dallas may do better in the rail department, but Houston is better with buses and commuter transportation (Park and Ride). Over 170,000 people ride the Park and Ride everyday. That's more than the light rail and commuter rail in DFW do daily.

Old 01-18-2010, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarface713 View Post
Public transportation doesn't suck in Houston. Dallas may do better in the rail department, but Houston is better with buses and commuter transportation (Park and Ride). Over 170,000 people ride the Park and Ride everyday. That's more than the light rail and commuter rail in DFW do daily.
I was thinking of the light rail when I said that. Houston's light rail only has one line which is really bad. I want to see Houston put in a bunch of lines instead of just one. If you go to Washington DC there are a bunch of lines for Metro Rail. I would like to see Houston do that. Yes as far as rail goes Dallas is ahead of Houston.

Old 01-18-2010, 04:20 PM

20,500 posts, read 33,311,608 times
Quote:
I was thinking of the light rail when I said that. Houston's light rail only has one line which is really bad. I want to see Houston put in a bunch of lines instead of just one. If you go to Washington DC there are a bunch of lines for Metro Rail. I would like to see Houston do that. Yes as far as rail goes Dallas is ahead of Houston.
Patience. tis' coming in the next couple years.

Old 01-18-2010, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
I hope so. I know light rail in Houston is going to be expanding soon but it will be a long time before it gets to Washington's level. Dallas beat us out the gate on this. Dallas has three lines now we're still sitting at one. Hopefully we can turn that around soon.

Old 01-18-2010, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
I can understand Washington being way ahead of Houston as far as rail goes because Washington is real small and Houston is huge. It would be a massive undertaking to run trains all over the Houston area but Dallas is a huge, sprawled city like Houston is. The fact that Dallas is ahead of Houston on this I wonder if it's because the Dallas metro area is growing faster than Houston's or Dallas is just bigger on metro rail than Houston is?

Old 01-18-2010, 11:27 PM

5,429 posts, read 14,776,017 times
Quote:
The fact that Dallas is ahead of Houston on this I wonder if it's because the Dallas metro area is growing faster than Houston's or Dallas is just bigger on metro rail than Houston is?
Years ago, didn't Tom Delay basically divert much of Houston's federal funds for this up to Dallas instead? That probably has something to do with it.

Old 01-18-2010, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK123 View Post
Years ago, didn't Tom Delay basically divert much of Houston's federal funds for this up to Dallas instead? That probably has something to do with it.
Years ago I heard that Tom Delay didn't want mass transit in Houston. He wanted to keep everybody driving since Houston is an oil city. Also he lived in Sugar Land and didn't want buses and trains coming to his neighborhood. This is what I heard but I didn't know if that was really true or not.

Did he divert the federal funds for these reasons?

Old 01-19-2010, 12:22 AM

2,023 posts, read 4,168,308 times
Quote:
Years ago I heard that Tom Delay didn't want mass transit in Houston. He wanted to keep everybody driving since Houston is an oil city. Also he lived in Sugar Land and didn't want buses and trains coming to his neighborhood. This is what I heard but I didn't know if that was really true or not.

Did he divert the federal funds for these reasons?
I hate our politicians.

Old 01-20-2010, 12:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpmeads View Post
I hate our politicians.
Yeah I hear ya. Politicians are all the same for the most part. You just have to vote for the lesser of the evils. I was excited about Annise Parker getting elected mayor though. Having a gay, female mayor shows how progressive of a city Houston is. This shows how open-minded Houstonians are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City