Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-23-2009, 03:05 PM

1,475 posts, read 4,142,429 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgb123 View Post
Mexico City has a huge population too but no one is using it as a shining example of a city.

Winner winner chicken dinner
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2009, 03:21 PM

3,197 posts, read 5,375,526 times
Quote:
I can't see all of the images. And I have no doubt European cities are probably better. But I think its the regional transit that really stands out in Europe.

Anyway, what I do see is a map of the El in Chicago. What its missing is the metra lines and the bus lines.

Anyway, Dallas does not compare to other more established American cities of the same size. Maybe someday.
Well, you have to start somewhere.

DART already has approximately 45 miles of LRT complete and is well on the way to meeting the 2018 regional plan goal.

Quote:
So how many rail lines do you have in San Antonio, rgb?
DART - Dallas

San Antonio rail system (the land is still vacant)

Last edited by First24; 06-23-2009 at 03:35 PM..

Old 06-23-2009, 04:06 PM

3,455 posts, read 8,343,169 times
um...what does San Antonio have to do with this conversation? As mentioned, it just makes it clear that you want to speak more from emotion.

I'm not from San Antonio, I'm not from Texas, I don't have any desire to bash any city (inculding Dallas to make me feel better about my home).

I speak of Chicago because I have knowledge of it, same with London and Holland.

San Antonio happens to be where I work. It has nothing to do with the conversation, or Dallas.

I like San Antonio, but I didn't challenge anyone about what a world city it is and how it deserves respect.

San Antonio is almost as obscure to most people as Dallas is. They simply don't know what is there or how big it is. And it is not my personal mission to make them respect San Antonio.

Though I like the city better than Dallas, personally.

Old 06-23-2009, 05:03 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,212,805 times
Quote:
um...what does San Antonio have to do with this conversation? As mentioned, it just makes it clear that you want to speak more from emotion.

I'm not from San Antonio, I'm not from Texas, I don't have any desire to bash any city (inculding Dallas to make me feel better about my home).

I speak of Chicago because I have knowledge of it, same with London and Holland.

San Antonio happens to be where I work. It has nothing to do with the conversation, or Dallas.

I like San Antonio, but I didn't challenge anyone about what a world city it is and how it deserves respect.

San Antonio is almost as obscure to most people as Dallas is. They simply don't know what is there or how big it is. And it is not my personal mission to make them respect San Antonio.

Though I like the city better than Dallas, personally.
Well how about you pay for the new DART system, have you seen how much having a system like Chicago or NYC cost???

Old 06-23-2009, 05:09 PM

3,455 posts, read 8,343,169 times
um, how about you stop demanding respect for dallas? I don't really care who disrepsects or respects it. Just trying to provide some reasons why people don't really care...

Anyway, I understand there are many billionaires in Dallas, maybe all those rich and brilliant Dallasites will figure it out and respect will one day be bestowed upon Dallas.

Old 06-23-2009, 07:53 PM

6,202 posts, read 11,451,251 times
Quote:
Mexico City has a huge population too but no one is using it as a shining example of a city.
That's actually a good example of the stereotypical big city. "Came from the farm to make it in the big city."

The big city has a long history of importance and high population. It is a center of finance and national government. Being a religious center is a hard-earned plus. It is the only (substantial) city in the country--primate city. The citizenry comes from various parts of the country, in all directions radiating from the city, in order to work in the professional class or at least for a better standard of living. (They go home to be with family during the holidays.)

Old 06-23-2009, 09:43 PM

2,930 posts, read 5,271,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdogg817 View Post
My name states kdogg817 and 817 is Fort Worth area code buddy so your point dosen't make any sense. I am a proud Fort Worth native. And yes it is called Dallas-Fort Worth metropolitian area. Im glad you know that.
My name could be ComingtoHouston214 but i'm still from Colorado Springs.

Last edited by stoneclaw; 06-23-2009 at 10:02 PM..

Old 06-23-2009, 09:53 PM

2,138 posts, read 6,319,932 times
Quote:
um, how about you stop demanding respect for dallas? I don't really care who disrepsects or respects it. Just trying to provide some reasons why people don't really care...

Anyway, I understand there are many billionaires in Dallas, maybe all those rich and brilliant Dallasites will figure it out and respect will one day be bestowed upon Dallas.
Nobody has to "demand respect" for Dallas. Apparently over 100,000 people showed some form of "respect" for Dallas when they moved there over the past year. Thousands of college graduates and young professionals respect it enough to move there to start or continue their careers given its good job market. And countless others move there for its lower cost of living, mild winters, easy access to both coasts, and even for its cultural amenities.

It's not a tourist city and the best way to describe it is "a good place to live, but I wouldn't want to visit there." As someone who doesn't live in the Metroplex, I can honestly say that I always have a good time whenever I visit friends in Dallas. Excellent nightlife, great restaurants, and countless entertainment--arts or sports. Not all large cities are tourist destinations.

If I were to compare it to a major European city, it would be Milan as it's an excellent point of arrival for a vacation to Italy given it's large airport and rail hub (kind of like DFW), but really doesn't offer much to see compared to smaller cities such as Florence, Bologna, and Venice. It's mainly a business hub; and before someone argues that Milan has an excellent reputation for excellent shopping--so does Dallas.

Old 06-23-2009, 09:56 PM

1,263 posts, read 4,009,685 times
I like Dallas. It is my favorite city in the south. City-Data people generally prefer high density cities so they don't think high of Dallas. I like dense cities too, but I'll give cities in the south credit as well. On my list of best cities, Dallas is 6th behind NYC, LA, SF, Boston and DC. I like Dallas better than Chicago and Philly. I will move there in a heartbeat if I am offered a decent job there. And believe me, more and more people will move there, no matter how it doesn't get respect from city-data. The average Joe in America doesn't like density and they want a big cheap house near a big city. Even if there is traffic issues, they wouldn't think of public transportation as an option no matter what because believe me you are still overall more efficient if you drive, taking into account of the schedule, changing of lines, no direct routes, etc of the public transportation. They like to find parking lots wherever they go and in their whole life they wouldn't take the effort to look at what the city look like from a skyview. It is filled with parking lots so what? And they probably wouldn't recognize their own city if you give them a picture. Who cares about the appearance anyways.

Last edited by fashionguy; 06-23-2009 at 10:27 PM..

Old 06-23-2009, 10:09 PM

2,138 posts, read 6,319,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fashionguy View Post
I like Dallas. It is my favorite city in the south. City-Data people generally prefer high density cities so they don't think high of Dallas. I like dense cities too, but I'll give cities in the south credit as well. On my list of best cities, Dallas is 6th behind NYC, LA, SF, Boston and DC. I like Dallas better than Chicago and Philly. I will move there in a heartbeat if I am offered a decent job there. And believe me, more and more people will move there, no matter how it doesn't get respect from city-data. The average joe in America doesn't like density and they want big cheap houses near a big city. Even if there is traffic issues, they wouldn't think of public transportation as an option no matter what.
I'm not so sure about the density thing. If you look at several new developments out in the Dallas burbs, such as Legacy in Plano or Addison Circle, you will see density and notice that many communities are favoring mixed-use developments. Inside the city itself you will see numerous walkable neighborhoods such as Knox-Henderson, Deep Ellum, and Uptown. Uptown, in fact, is a fairly large district that's very walkable, has a streetcar that operates on its main artery (McKinney Ave), and has a density that isn't too intense, but at a pleasant level that encourages walkablility. In fact, Uptown has a density that would rival many neighborhoods in more established northern cities.

In regards to public transport, more and more Metroplex suburbs are welcoming rail transit into their communities and joining DART, the metro public transport authority. Several of the new rail lines are proposed to reach further out to the suburbs, even new rail systems proposed in Fort Worth and suburban Denton are going to connect the suburbs better with the two urban centers via rail.

As far as low cost housing, well that is all-American , but I think you will see more and more people wanting smaller or more energy efficient homes when the market recovers given rising energy prices. You will also see people willing to live in smaller homes--sacrificing space for better proximity to major employment and activity centers. This isn't only a Dallas thing, but rather something that will be experienced nationwide.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City