Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-29-2009, 10:38 PM

3,260 posts, read 8,762,561 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanRocks View Post
Big D is cool, however, Fort Worth is the diamond in the rough. Fort Worth gives Dallas a MAJOR run for the money as far as visual arts is concerned. And Dallas get rid of the damn neon lights lining the skyscrapers...very dated disco-era look and IMO makes the downtown look a bit cheesy.
If the neon was taken off the skyscrapers it would of looked like this.......now the skyline looks dead!

the building next to the green building when off to early. Earth hour 2009

YouTube - Earth Hour Dallas
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2009, 12:04 AM

4,775 posts, read 8,839,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
Big D is the 'ish'!!! Shouts out to Forth Worth too!!! We see y'all down here in Charlotte!!!

America's Greatest Secret and Most Underrated City.

Yes big shout outs to Fort Worth A*K*A the The Funk
Fort Worth Sundance Square

http://i.pbase.com/v3/34/220834/1/45...090manualX.jpg

http://images-cdn01.associatedconten.../300_65691.jpg

http://www.bensware.com/firetrucks/F...neD20_0544.jpg

http://www.fortworthparadeoflights.org/content/112688407-S.jpg (broken link)

http://www.fortworthparadeoflights.org/content/112688407-S.jpg (broken link)

Last edited by Exult.Q36; 06-30-2009 at 12:15 AM..

Old 06-30-2009, 01:22 AM

7,845 posts, read 20,805,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladarron View Post
If the neon was taken off the skyscrapers it would of looked like this.......now the skyline looks dead!
It reminds me of Tower Place in Atlanta...

Tower Place on Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/beardenb/263513362/ - broken link)

Old 07-01-2009, 10:26 PM

1,179 posts, read 2,063,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladarron View Post

the building next to the green building when off to early. Earth hour 2009

YouTube - Earth Hour Dallas
I agree. Keep the neon. It looks way better!!!!

Old 07-02-2009, 12:31 AM

4,630 posts, read 10,473,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
Dallas and Fort Worth are aiight, but Mesquite is top-shelf.

I like the different lighting schemes on the Dallas skyline and on other cities' skylines. The neon doesn't bother me - if anything it gives a unique retroish flavor and adds variety....but the one I don't like is the lighting on Renaissance Tower. It's kinda tacky.
I agree there is nothing wrong with the neon. I disagree with it looking retro though. I believe neon cities are a trend begun in Asia that American cities including CHI are catching on. Hong Kong is THE neon city:

Old 07-02-2009, 12:36 AM

8,180 posts, read 14,865,184 times
^HORRIBLE light pollution.

Old 07-02-2009, 02:57 AM

330 posts, read 681,767 times
» Meandering the Metroplex • Spacing Toronto • understanding the urban landscape

"genuinely wonder how a region this successful also manages to mostly fail at creating the urban context and excitement that many other regions of similar (or much lesser) distinctions so easily make"

"Apparently over 130,000 people work in the impressive assortment of office towers, but you would be hard pressed to find even a thousand of them on the streets."

"The pin drop quietness of the downtown was really quite a mystery considering the city is graced with a fair number of handsome buildings, decent and wide sidewalks, a commitment to public art, clean streets, some good parks and a general feeling of relative safety."

"Inside Union Station is honestly quite depressing…and super empty. This was captured on a Wednesday afternoon!"

"Dallas takes the arts very serious and has built an impressive number of facilities in what is basically a created precinct. I use the term “created” as that is what this is; a single-use zone of cultural facilities with no immediate neighbourhood incubating the district."

"While one can only applaud Dallas for bringing such a wide-array of culture to north Texas, the Arts District unfortunately does not pass the test of an urbanist very well."

"Even though there are clearly people who live in this neighbourhood, all the businesses are mostly higher-end “surf and turf”-type restaurants that cater more to whatever convention is in town than in providing the locals with somewhere to easily buy their essentials."

Old 07-02-2009, 02:47 PM

6,625 posts, read 14,456,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
^HORRIBLE light pollution.
When it looks that cool, who cares!?

Old 07-02-2009, 05:58 PM

5,429 posts, read 14,840,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAnative10 View Post
Frankly Houston and Dallas are so similar
True. They are very similar.
The main differences would be due to geographic location; Dallas is in north Texas and much more inland. Houston is near coastal and in an area that receives more rainfall and has milder winters, so it's greener than Dallas and generally has more and larger trees.

Old 07-02-2009, 11:43 PM

1,179 posts, read 2,063,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bostonian08 View Post
I agree there is nothing wrong with the neon. I disagree with it looking retro though. I believe neon cities are a trend begun in Asia that American cities including CHI are catching on. Hong Kong is THE neon city:
I've been to Hong Kong. Hong Kong is very cool. The picture you posted I've seen it myself standing right next to Victoria Harbor. Every night the buildings next to the harbor have the light show you posted a picture of. Hong Kong is definitely the nicest looking city in the world. I like all the tall skyscrapers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City