U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
 
Old 07-03-2009, 12:46 AM
 
Location: H-town!
1,016 posts, read 1,057,177 times
Reputation: 223

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post
When it looks that cool, who cares!?
Right on brother!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-03-2009, 01:59 AM
 
Location: Dallas
4,160 posts, read 4,565,651 times
Reputation: 2989
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
^HORRIBLE light pollution.
One man's cholesterol is another man's prime rib Ak.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-03-2009, 12:07 PM
 
1,052 posts, read 1,013,695 times
Reputation: 833
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajf131 View Post
Since the state of Texas was founded per se? It certainly has far more in common with Shreveport, Tulsa, and Little Rock than it does with Albuquerque. At any rate, I could've sworn Houston was the largest metro in the South. Dallas I thought was 2nd with Atlanta and Miami close behind.
No, Houston has a larger city population than Dallas, but overall, Dallas has a larger metro population.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-03-2009, 03:16 PM
 
1,052 posts, read 1,013,695 times
Reputation: 833
Quote:
Originally Posted by LosAngelesNightmare View Post
thats just it...its in "the south" ... i think of rodeos, country accents, etc when i think of dallas. they always wear cowboy hats on tv shows lol
Please do not go by everything you see on TV. Just b/c television or the media likes to stereotype certain areas does not mean everyone lives like that. I could say that everyone in L.A. is either a Hollywood wannabe or a gangbanger, but I know that is not true. That's the problem w/stereotyping and making up false generalities about certain groups of people, certain regions, etc., it justifies our prejudices for other people, cultures, regions, b/c it is different from what we are accustomed to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-04-2009, 08:26 PM
 
Location: Funky Town, Texas
3,596 posts, read 4,264,220 times
Reputation: 1372
Quote:
Originally Posted by prwfromnc View Post
please do not go by everything you see on tv. Just b/c television or the media likes to stereotype certain areas does not mean everyone lives like that. I could say that everyone in l.a. Is either a hollywood wannabe or a gangbanger, but i know that is not true. That's the problem w/stereotyping and making up false generalities about certain groups of people, certain regions, etc., it justifies our prejudices for other people, cultures, regions, b/c it is different from what we are accustomed to.

i agree
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-05-2009, 02:41 AM
 
Location: Orange County,CA
74 posts, read 159,132 times
Reputation: 94
LA doesn't get much respect either along with Houston, LA it's a city that people love to Hate!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-05-2009, 07:18 PM
 
2,606 posts, read 2,272,878 times
Reputation: 1695
Quote:
Originally Posted by prwfromnc View Post
No, Houston has a larger city population than Dallas, but overall, Dallas has a larger metro population.
Dallas/Ft. Worth that is. Dallas doesn't take it all by itself as i've said countless times earlier in this thread. That's why the metro area is called Dallas/Ft Worth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-05-2009, 07:25 PM
JJG
 
Location: Fort Worth
10,656 posts, read 10,233,485 times
Reputation: 4624
Quote:
Originally Posted by C2H (ComingtoHouston) View Post
Dallas/Ft. Worth that is. Dallas doesn't take it all by itself as i've said countless times earlier in this thread. That's why the metro area is called Dallas/Ft Worth.
Forget it.... it's useless.

TRUST ME.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-05-2009, 01:42 AM
 
669 posts, read 1,054,142 times
Reputation: 61
Well, just bc a place has alot of billionaires and good economy doesn't mean it's all that great. It's great if money is your driving force.

Another reason why billionaires set up shop in DFW is bc TAXES. In NY or CA state taxes knock out 10%. Ask a billionaire if he'd mind if they took 10% out of his income if he'd stay.

People move to DFW bc it's cheap and there are jobs. Take that away.... it would be just farmland. Heck, Texas most popular and "cool" is Austin which is about 1/5 of the size of DFW.... what's going on with that?

Weather - avg, typical southern city.

Attractions - other than the cowboys, nothing worth noting and lately Cowboys havn't been anything worth mentioning in 15 years.

A work first mentality that in other cities - doesn't really fly well.

Suburbs galore.

High Crime.

Traffic that can rival just about any city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-05-2009, 02:21 AM
 
13,336 posts, read 13,344,539 times
Reputation: 3440
Quote:
Originally Posted by DWong View Post
Well, just bc a place has alot of billionaires and good economy doesn't mean it's all that great. It's great if money is your driving force.

Another reason why billionaires set up shop in DFW is bc TAXES. In NY or CA state taxes knock out 10%. Ask a billionaire if he'd mind if they took 10% out of his income if he'd stay.

People move to DFW bc it's cheap and there are jobs. Take that away.... it would be just farmland. Heck, Texas most popular and "cool" is Austin which is about 1/5 of the size of DFW.... what's going on with that?

Weather - avg, typical southern city.

Attractions - other than the cowboys, nothing worth noting and lately Cowboys havn't been anything worth mentioning in 15 years.

A work first mentality that in other cities - doesn't really fly well.

Suburbs galore.

High Crime.

Traffic that can rival just about any city.
You mean to tell me, that there are no work first mentality cities in the northeast.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:23 AM.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top