U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
 
Old 10-07-2009, 07:43 AM
 
Location: Washington D.C. By way of Texas
13,475 posts, read 14,969,563 times
Reputation: 5076

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
The only thing I find fault with what you said was Atlanta is only capital to folks in the Southeast.However is you asked what people in other regions outside the South,I bet they will say Atlanta can be considered the "de facto capital of the South.You gotta remember that Atlanta has the history and the culture of the South from its inception.Dallas became Southern because of expansion out-west.As I said before ,many of the pioneers of Texas came from the South more than any other region in the U.S.There is no "Capitol of the South"but Atlanta is as close to it as their ever will be.

Well when you say capital, what do you mean? Do you mean economically? Socially? Industry? etc... If it's that, than no Atlanta is not the capital of the South. What I think you're saying is that Atlanta is the center of the South. Meaning, that it has more historical ties and more historical connections than either Miami, Dallas, or Houston has to the rest of the South. Atlanta is alot closer to the rest of the South than those areas. That's why it's the center.

I also have to disagree with McCoy regarding his position on Atlanta. Yes, maybe Arkansas doesn't think much about Atlanta's position. But I will say Mississippi and Southeastern Louisiana or the toe of the boot in fact does even though Houston has a ton of influence down there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-07-2009, 09:10 AM
 
Location: Texas
1,365 posts, read 1,523,694 times
Reputation: 483
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
The only thing I find fault with what you said was Atlanta is only capital to folks in the Southeast.However is you asked what people in other regions outside the South,I bet they will say Atlanta can be considered the "de facto capital of the South.You gotta remember that Atlanta has the history and the culture of the South from its inception.Dallas became Southern because of expansion out-west.As I said before ,many of the pioneers of Texas came from the South more than any other region in the U.S.There is no "Capitol of the South"but Atlanta is as close to it as their ever will be.
Okay. Atlanta is the "historical capital" of the South. But there will never be any city that can claim the title as THE Capital of the South.

And Dallas has been southern since its inception as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-07-2009, 09:11 AM
 
2,532 posts, read 3,760,667 times
Reputation: 1190
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMcCoySays View Post
Yeah and it's only the capital of the south to people in the southeast. People in Texas, Louisiana, Arkansas, and probably even Mississippi don't view Atlanta that way.
As a former resident of Mississippi, I can attest that Mississippi's ties to Texas and Georgia are about the same. We're the barrel tapped at both ends so to speak. In terms of relocation, music (we would get just as much Houston music as we would Atlanta music with a lean towards Atlanta. Heck, I learned about Chopped-and-screwed music when I lived in Mississippi!), food, look and feel, I can say that Mississippi has influences by both.

I'll give you Arkansas and Louisiana though. I've spoken extensively on the Houston-Louisiana connections.


Quote:
Well I'm based out of the southeast so I'm pretty certain that most folks that think of it as the south. Just probably not "Gone With the Wind" genteel south. But definitely the south.
I didn't say anything different. Notice that I did not say that Dallas is not a southern city. It's not "southeastern," but it's "southern".

Quote:
I've never been to Fort Worth, but I think kdogg would have something to say to the idea that it's the West.
Fort Worth: City of Cowboys and Culture
Fort Worth, Texas

Fort Worth's Western Heritage

Fort Worth Western Heritage Visitors Guide - History, Events, Festivals & More

Fort Worth blends its Western heritage with the arts. | Article from St. Louis Post-Dispatch (St. Louis, MO) | HighBeam Research

And it's nickname is "Cowtown". There may be southern characteristics, which I'm pretty sure KDogg could speak more extensively on than I could, but when I think of Fort Worth, I think of "Where the West Begins"

Quote:
Okay so tell me, what besides pine trees and humidity can you find in the other cities that you can't find in Dallas. I'll admit that I was one who didn't view it as southern as the others, but that was because I didn't know enough about it. My boss was born and raised in Dallas and he's as southern as they come. Dips snuff tobacco and burns a mean hog on the grill lol.
Um...Is it easy to get Sweet Tea or Grits in Dallas? Not just South Dallas either.

I think that Dallas is on the edge of the south, whereas the other cities I've mentioned are deeply within the south. Going to the west of Ft Worth or to the north of Denton does not feel southern at all. Heading east of Mesquite/Forney, it feels more southern.

Quote:
What can be said about Dallas is that it's not southeastern.
See above. I'm not denying that its a southern city, but its not a southeastern city. There is a park named after Robert E. Lee there, so I know its southern. The differences are a bit more subtle than tangible. Houston is southern, but not southeastern to me as well. It does "feel" more southern than Dallas to me.
YMMV of course.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-07-2009, 09:14 AM
 
2,532 posts, read 3,760,667 times
Reputation: 1190
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMcCoySays View Post
Okay. Atlanta is the "historical capital" of the South. But there will never be any city that can claim the title as THE Capital of the South.

And Dallas has been southern since its inception as well.

Richmond, VA was.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-07-2009, 09:35 AM
 
Location: Texas
1,365 posts, read 1,523,694 times
Reputation: 483
Quote:
Originally Posted by grindin View Post
As a former resident of Mississippi, I can attest that Mississippi's ties to Texas and Georgia are about the same. We're the barrel tapped at both ends so to speak. In terms of relocation, music (we would get just as much Houston music as we would Atlanta music with a lean towards Atlanta. Heck, I learned about Chopped-and-screwed music when I lived in Mississippi!), food, look and feel, I can say that Mississippi has influences by both.

I'll give you Arkansas and Louisiana though. I've spoken extensively on the Houston-Louisiana connections.
Yeah well give me western Tennessee too.


Quote:
Fort Worth: City of Cowboys and Culture
Fort Worth, Texas

Fort Worth's Western Heritage

Fort Worth Western Heritage Visitors Guide - History, Events, Festivals & More

Fort Worth blends its Western heritage with the arts. | Article from St. Louis Post-Dispatch (St. Louis, MO) | HighBeam Research

And it's nickname is "Cowtown". There may be southern characteristics, which I'm pretty sure KDogg could speak more extensively on than I could, but when I think of Fort Worth, I think of "Where the West Begins"
Hmm. Well I won't speak on that cause I don't know Fort Worth very well, except that I've always viewed it as the south and that's probably not gonna change. The black population in FW is quite large, and from what I've heard it has been for much of its history. This is not something you'll find "out west".

Quote:
Um...Is it easy to get Sweet Tea or Grits in Dallas? Not just South Dallas either.

I think that Dallas is on the edge of the south, whereas the other cities I've mentioned are deeply within the south. Going to the west of Ft Worth or to the north of Denton does not feel southern at all. Heading east of Mesquite/Forney, it feels more southern.


See above. I'm not denying that its a southern city, but its not a southeastern city. There is a park named after Robert E. Lee there, so I know its southern. The differences are a bit more subtle than tangible. Houston is southern, but not southeastern to me as well. It does "feel" more southern than Dallas to me.
YMMV of course.
I'm pretty certain that it's not difficult to get sweet tea and grits throughout DFW. And why do people always say "except for South Dallas" when making their argument of Dallas not being that southern? SD is a part of the city, too, and a good example of Dallas' strong ties to the South. The thing about North Dallas is that it's so new and diverse and filled with transplants that it's hard to see what's southern about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-07-2009, 09:42 AM
 
2,532 posts, read 3,760,667 times
Reputation: 1190
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMcCoySays View Post
Yeah well give me western Tennessee too.
I forgot about them. I think in Memphis, their ties towards Atlanta are a bit more pronounced than say, Dallas, but there are strong Houston/Memphis connections.


Quote:
Hmm. Well I won't speak on that cause I don't know Fort Worth very well, except that I've always viewed it as the south and that's probably not gonna change. The black population in FW is quite large, and from what I've heard it has been for much of its history. This is not something you'll find "out west".
Right, I think that Ft Worth's Af-Am population is at least 20%, which is above the national average.


Quote:
I'm pretty certain that it's not difficult to get sweet tea and grits throughout DFW. And why do people always say "except for South Dallas" when making their argument of Dallas not being that southern? SD is a part of the city, too, and a good example of Dallas' strong ties to the South. The thing about North Dallas is that it's so new and diverse and filled with transplants that it's hard to see what's southern about it.
I think we're saying the same thing, but just in a different way. I think that South Dallas and South Dallas' counties connections to the south are a lot more pronounced than north Dallas and the suburbs to the north, mainly having to do with the transplants favoring the northern part of the metroplex over the south, which has diluted the southern characteristics. When I lived in Tampa, the southern characteristics were a lot more pronounced in say, Brandon or Thonotosassa. But when you got to Clearwater or Citrus Park, not so much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-07-2009, 09:51 AM
 
16,008 posts, read 26,141,305 times
Reputation: 5950
There is nothing remotely "Omaha and Wichita" about Dallas. Those folks are boring (no offense - I do have cousins in Wichita). I met many Midwestern folks when I attended SMU and I can assure that Dallas is not corn fed, whitebread, nor early to bed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-07-2009, 09:53 AM
 
2,532 posts, read 3,760,667 times
Reputation: 1190
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
There is nothing remotely "Omaha and Wichita" about Dallas. Those folks are boring (no offense - I do have cousins in Wichita). I met many Midwestern folks when I attended SMU and I can assure that Dallas is not corn fed, whitebread, nor early to bed.
Okay then, Kansas City/OKC then.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-07-2009, 09:57 AM
Status: " On and off line interchangeably" (set 8 days ago)
 
9,823 posts, read 11,324,730 times
Reputation: 5054
Quote:
Originally Posted by grindin View Post
Richmond, VA was.
And Montgomery, Alabama! LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-07-2009, 06:37 PM
 
Location: Atlanta ,GA
8,141 posts, read 7,468,699 times
Reputation: 2400
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Well when you say capital, what do you mean? Do you mean economically? Socially? Industry? etc... If it's that, than no Atlanta is not the capital of the South. What I think you're saying is that Atlanta is the center of the South. Meaning, that it has more historical ties and more historical connections than either Miami, Dallas, or Houston has to the rest of the South. Atlanta is alot closer to the rest of the South than those areas. That's why it's the center.

I also have to disagree with McCoy regarding his position on Atlanta. Yes, maybe Arkansas doesn't think much about Atlanta's position. But I will say Mississippi and Southeastern Louisiana or the toe of the boot in fact does even though Houston has a ton of influence down there.
I think you are incorrect.Socially,Industry and economically Atlanta LEADS in most of those areas.And where it does not lead,its just a step or two behind.Atlanta is the most progressive out of all Southern cities with the exception of maybe Miami.I mean if you say "capital",it does not mean you have to be NUMBER ONE in EVERY category.It can be a multiple of things.However some of those things like relevance in history of the region and the nation+ relevance in the the region TODAY(meaning economics,popular culture in music,the arts,and foods= the answer ,which city represents all of that the most.In my opinion that is why Atlanta is the Capital of the South.The Capital does not mean the biggest or best,but which most encompassing of ALL things that also make it a CENTER of that are expressive of that region.Has little to do with geography.NYC is bigger than D.C. in every way.Why is NYC not the capital?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:19 PM.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top