U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Unread 10-09-2009, 05:00 PM

3,424 posts, read 3,065,933 times
But I will say that I like the fact that based on my experience, Houston has a wider variety of food than Atlanta, as far as Cajun Food/Seafood, Tex-Mex, Barbque, Soul Food and so forth...in addition to regular staples like italian, thai/chinese, columbian etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 10-09-2009, 08:22 PM

7,455 posts, read 6,140,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK123 View Post
Give it up on the restaurants already!

There is a difference between having one or two restaurants with the highest ranking (also usually meaning they are enormously expensive, and most people will rarely frequent them) -- or having a great overall restaurant scene with a lot of wonderful restaurants, in many different genres and price levels.

IMO Houston wins on that one. It ranks as the #4 or #6 best restaurant city in the country (depending on the source... Wine Spectator, Esquire or Forbes).

Not saying the other cities aren't good, but Houston's strength is in number and variety of great places, not in having one or two 5-star places that most people will never use.
I only brought it up because a remark was made about Atlanta not having an international appeal.As one person put it "Houston is very international with a southern feel,but Atlanta is nothing but Southern.That is some total B.S.That is why I put the food citys up there.However Atlanta is know for it resturant scene.As I posted every year Atlanta has 1 or 2 of the top resturants in the country.Houston and Dallas have only been rank maybe once each in both cities at beat 1 time in 10years acording to a list of the U.S."Top 40 resturants in America."

Back to the topic(somewhat).Dallas has a higher educated populace than Houston and lower poverty rates.Yet all I hear is people talking about the GDP of the city,which actually is not as important than factors that determine the way of life.Houston has the highest gDP ,but the lowest Per capita incomes.In fact its the lowest out of the three major U.S.cities(ATL<DAL)!!Dallas and Atlanta both rank as the top dogs in the South in most world wide publications.

Unread 10-09-2009, 09:19 PM

737 posts, read 616,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
I only brought it up because a remark was made about Atlanta not having an international appeal.As one person put it "Houston is very international with a southern feel,but Atlanta is nothing but Southern.That is some total B.S.That is why I put the food citys up there.However Atlanta is know for it resturant scene.As I posted every year Atlanta has 1 or 2 of the top resturants in the country.Houston and Dallas have only been rank maybe once each in both cities at beat 1 time in 10years acording to a list of the U.S."Top 40 resturants in America."

Back to the topic(somewhat).Dallas has a higher educated populace than Houston and lower poverty rates.Yet all I hear is people talking about the GDP of the city,which actually is not as important than factors that determine the way of life.Houston has the highest gDP ,but the lowest Per capita incomes.In fact its the lowest out of the three major U.S.cities(ATL<DAL)!!Dallas and Atlanta both rank as the top dogs in the South in most world wide publications.
That isn't quite true about the poverty rates

14. Dallas, 22.6% in poverty
16. Atlanta, 22.4% in poverty
24. Houston, 19.5% in poverty
Source

Dallas and Atlanta have almost identical povery rates and Houston is about 3 points below both.

Unread 10-09-2009, 10:27 PM

15,753 posts, read 17,555,394 times
Quote:

Once you realize Houston is like 3 times the size of Atlanta and Dallas. You'll look more differently at these statistics.

Unread 10-10-2009, 01:17 AM

7,455 posts, read 6,140,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CityPerson09 View Post
That isn't quite true about the poverty rates

14. Dallas, 22.6% in poverty
16. Atlanta, 22.4% in poverty
24. Houston, 19.5% in poverty
Source

Dallas and Atlanta have almost identical povery rates and Houston is about 3 points below both.
Actually both are true.The poverty rates you posted are for the "Principal City" not the "whole metropolitan area"(my facts) due to Houston's large size but small suburban area.Houston principal city area encompasses area that areas that if in Atlanta are well into its suburbs.Suburbs as you know have higher educational attainment and per capita incomes.
From what I see directly from the Census update of 1 year totals of "MSA" areas,Its corroborates what I said.Now I do know that recently the poverty rate in America has risen significantly,but according to what I posted Atlanta does much better when compairing against the other two MSA's.Considering that in all the cities(except Houston), that less than 20% of the population lives in the actual city but more in the burbs,plus the fact thats as JLuke and others always bring up;the fact that Houston land area is much bigger by far than Atlanta and somewhat substantially more than Dallas.The fair comparison would be MSA's.
Take your pick. but it can not go back in forth when the stats like education,density,and incomes don't favor Houston.
In fact you can tell why it benefits Houston when it comes to a lower poverty rate because of its large land area.Immigrants to Southern Cities traditionally have avoided the "city" for the fringes of the city on into the suburbs.That is why in most of these cities many of the largest concentrations of the foreogn born population(tends to be poor and less educated due to language ,cultural,and other barriers)
http://factfinder.census.gov/servlet...mat=&-_lang=en

This is the Brooking's Report on what American Cities have a "global connectivity" outreach when it comes to business and connections OUTSIDE of the U.S. vs.its international counter parts and how those cities overseas are usuallly more "globally connected than their U.S. counterparts.

Table 4. Local Orientations of U.S. and EU City Hinterworlds
U.S.-ness EU-ness
U.S. city (local orientation) / EU city (local orientation)

Denver- 1.000 / Cologne 0.703
Indianapolis - 1.000 / Munich 0.656
Pittsburgh - 1.000 // Stuttgart 0.640
Cleveland-0.981 / Antwerp 0.625
San Diego - 0.981 / Hamburg 0.609
St. Louis - 0.981 / Lyon 0.578
Boston -0.963 / Barcelona 0.531
Minneapolis 0.963 / Berlin 0.531
Philadelphia 0.963 / Rome 0.500
Portland- 0.963 / Copenhagen 0.375
Kansas City- 0.944 / Milan 0.360
Seattle- 0.944 / Rotterdam 0.360
Charlotte- 0.926 / Lisbon 0.344
Dallas- 0.926 / Luxembourg City 0.250
Los Angeles- 0.926 / Vienna 0.250
Washington, D.C. 0.926 / Dusseldorf 0.219
Detroit- 0.907 / Birmingham 0.203
Houston- 0.889 / Madrid 0.203
San Francisco- 0.851 / Amsterdam 0.188
Atlanta- 0.833 / Paris 0.172
Chicago- 0.815 / Dublin 0.156
Miami- 0.741 / Frankfurt 0.156
New York- 0.481 / Stockholm 0.141
Manchester 0.109
London -0.078
Helsinki -0.045
Brussels -0.016
Athens 0.000

The lower the number the more of it global reach in business and trade outside of their "local countries or regions.The Higher the number,the less impact globally.

Unread 10-10-2009, 01:34 AM

4,912 posts, read 2,030,640 times
Afonega, I am not sure where you are coming up with your density figures, but it goes HOU>DFW>ATL. DFW and HOU have the advantage of having flat land (DFW is a little hilly, but nothing significant like ATL) to build more densely. All cities obviously sprawl, but HOU and DFW sprawls a little bit more densely. And as far per capita income from 2008:

New York-Northern New Jersey-Long Island, NY $66,549.66
Los Angeles-Long Beach Santa Ana, CA $55,767.48
Chicago-Naperville-Joliet, IL-IN-WI $54,408.83
Houston-Sugar Land-Baytown, TX $70,389.65
Washington-Arlington-Alexandria, DC-VA-MD-WV $73,859.16
Dallas-Fort Worth-Arlington, TX $60,295.66
Philadelphia-Camden-Wilmington, PA-NJ-DE-MD $56,846.56
San Francisco-Oakland-Fremont, CA $72,715.58
Boston-Cambridge-Quincy, MA-NH $66,239.09
Atlanta-Sandy Springs-Marietta, GA $50,183.17
Miami-Fort Lauderdale-Pompano Beach, FL $48,250.05
Seattle-Tacoma-Bellevue, WA $65,406.05
Detroit-Warren-Livonia, MI $45,390.06
Minneapolis-St. Paul-Bloomington, MN-WI $60,047.78
Phoenix-Mesa-Scottsdale, AZ $43,772.87
San Diego-Carlsbad-San Marcos, CA $56,421.51
Denver-Aurora-Broomfield, CO $60,164.54
San Jose-Sunnyvale-Santa Clara, CA $80,632.78
Baltimore-Towson, MD $49,871.08
St. Louis, MO-IL $45,608.88
Charlotte-Gastonia-Concord, NC-SC $69,544.05
Pittsburgh, PA $48,786.74
Riverside-San Bernadino-Ontario, CA $27,474.14
Portland-Vancouver-Beaverton, OR-WA $50,927.26
Tampa-St. Petersburg-Clearwater, FL $40,424.16

Obviously, Houston metro has been bolstered by energy and global trade during the boom leading up to the recession. It will be interesting to see how these figures will change in the upcoming years.

Unread 10-10-2009, 01:35 AM

737 posts, read 616,435 times
Quote:
Actually both are true.The poverty rates you posted are for the "Principal City" not the "whole metropolitan area"(my facts) due to Houston's large size but small suburban area.Houston principal city area encompasses area that areas that if in Atlanta are well into its suburbs.Suburbs as you know have higher educational attainment and per capita incomes.
I just mentioned the stats because I thought the principal cities were the topic of discussion. You are totally right about the metro then, some of the suburbs in Dallas have very high education rates, I bet Plano alone skews Dallas past Houston

Unread 10-10-2009, 10:28 AM

7,852 posts, read 11,543,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dv1033 View Post
Afonega, I am not sure where you are coming up with your density figures, but it goes HOU>DFW>ATL. DFW and HOU have the advantage of having flat land (DFW is a little hilly, but nothing significant like ATL) to build more densely. All cities obviously sprawl, but HOU and DFW sprawls a little bit more densely.
Actually, Atlanta is a little more dense than either Houston or Dallas:

Atlanta - 4018/sq mi
Houston - 3828/sq mi
Dallas - 3697/sq mi

Those are the latest density figures from the Census Bureau.

Unread 10-10-2009, 11:27 AM

4,912 posts, read 2,030,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
Actually, Atlanta is a little more dense than either Houston or Dallas:

Atlanta - 4018/sq mi
Houston - 3828/sq mi
Dallas - 3697/sq mi

Those are the latest density figures from the Census Bureau.
I was referring metro wise, as city limits size are vastly different and suburbs are just as important to cities as cities are to suburbs. However, I still don't think those numbers are right, do you mind posting a link to where you got that information.

Unread 10-10-2009, 11:33 AM

7,852 posts, read 11,543,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dv1033 View Post
I was referring metro wise, as city limits size are vastly different and suburbs are just as important to cities as cities are to suburbs. However, I still don't think those numbers are right, do you mind posting a link to where you got that information.
Those are Census Bureau figures.

So city limits sizes are vastly different, but metro sizes aren't? Hmmmm...that doesn't make any sense. They can both be vastly different. But...why don't you post the density figures for each metro?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City