Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-20-2010, 10:50 PM

21 posts, read 48,399 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by R1070 View Post
I think the real problem is that people who do not live in Dallas or Houston have skewed perceptions of the cities and Texans being the friendly folk they are, are just trying to educate them on what the big Texas cities have to offer. Houston and Dallas are two of the largest cities in this country. If someone thinks they dont have diverse offerings then that person needs to get out more before placing judgement.
I think almost everyone realizes that Dallas is a big city, that it has "diverse offerings", and that ppl who live there find it appealing. The question is: what is so unique about Dallas that it should have nationwide appeal above similar cities like Atlanta, Denver, Kansas City, etc... let alone that it should be regarded on a level with NYC, Chicago, and LA as the OP suggests? It's kind of a joke isn't it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2010, 11:08 PM

4,435 posts, read 6,303,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MechanicalSoft View Post
I think almost everyone realizes that Dallas is a big city, that it has "diverse offerings", and that ppl who live there find it appealing. The question is: what is so unique about Dallas that it should have nationwide appeal above similar cities like Atlanta, Denver, Kansas City, etc... let alone that it should be regarded on a level with NYC, Chicago, and LA as the OP suggests? It's kind of a joke isn't it?
Dallas deserves a lot of respect for what it is and how important it is to this country, not exactly for what it has that is unique. Dallas is a nice city to live and do business like many others but according to some you'd think it was some horrible walmart parking lot out in the middle of a field.

Old 01-20-2010, 11:29 PM

1,179 posts, read 2,063,965 times
Quote:
I think the real problem is that people who do not live in Dallas or Houston have skewed perceptions of the cities and Texans being the friendly folk they are, are just trying to educate them on what the big Texas cities have to offer. Houston and Dallas are two of the largest cities in this country. If someone thinks they dont have diverse offerings then that person needs to get out more before placing judgement.
I agree totally. I've been to several of these so-called real cities and they're a real ripoff. I've been to LA and Boston. These are two very hyped cities and neither are as good as Houston. LA had graffiti everywhere which gave me a bad impression of the city. The downtown wasn't near as nice as Houston's downtown but the cost of living is 3 times Houston's cost of living. Anybody that would pick LA over Houston is real foolish. Now let's talk about Boston. It's pretty much the same situation. The city is in a state of decline like much of the northeast is. You get to pay high taxes and pay $650000 for a house that is only worth $200000. There again Boston was much smaller than Houston and didn't have near as much to offer. These are just two examples of why most of these so-called great cities or real cities are a ripoff as compared to Houston. Most of the people that live in these places don't realize how much they're getting screwed because if they did they would pack their bags tonight and be on the road to Texas tomorrow.

Old 01-20-2010, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Dallas deserves a lot of respect for what it is and how important it is to this country, not exactly for what it has that is unique. Dallas is a nice city to live and do business like many others but according to some you'd think it was some horrible walmart parking lot out in the middle of a field.
99% of your people on City-Data that talk bad about TX have never been to TX. They're either talking sh** and they know it or they listened to somebody that doesn't know their butt from the hole in the ground and can't find it with two hands but is an expert on TX. The only thing they're an expert on is their own stupidity.

Old 01-20-2010, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frodo2008 View Post
I agree totally. I've been to several of these so-called real cities and they're a real ripoff. I've been to LA and Boston. These are two very hyped cities and neither are as good as Houston. LA had graffiti everywhere which gave me a bad impression of the city. The downtown wasn't near as nice as Houston's downtown but the cost of living is 3 times Houston's cost of living. Anybody that would pick LA over Houston is real foolish. Now let's talk about Boston. It's pretty much the same situation. The city is in a state of decline like much of the northeast is. You get to pay high taxes and pay $650000 for a house that is only worth $200000. There again Boston was much smaller than Houston and didn't have near as much to offer. These are just two examples of why most of these so-called great cities or real cities are a ripoff as compared to Houston. Most of the people that live in these places don't realize how much they're getting screwed because if they did they would pack their bags tonight and be on the road to Texas tomorrow.
Well Texas is the top population gainer in the U.S. currently.
I moved to Dallas from another sunbelt area, I love the quality of life
Dallas has to offer over most cities.

Old 01-20-2010, 11:54 PM

Quote:
Well Texas is the top population gainer in the U.S. currently.
I moved to Dallas from another sunbelt area, I love the quality of life
Dallas has to offer over most cities.
Yeah and it's obvious why TX has been kicking everybody else's butts lately. Let's see I have two choices:

I can live in a high tax, high cost of living city like LA, Boston, NYC and get nothing for all that extra money or I can live in TX where you get lots of bang for your buck. It's pretty much a no-brainer. 90% of these so-called great cities are overtaxed, the houses are way overpriced and the job market sucks. TX has low cost of living, is a lot more business friendly and is creating the most jobs. All these high cost of living places on the west coast and the northeast need to pull their head out of the sand, realize that TX is kicking their butt all over the place and fix their many problems.

Until the governments and the people in these places realize this TX will continue to dominate, be number one and these other places will continue to decline.

Old 01-21-2010, 12:33 AM

Quote:
Yeah and it's obvious why TX has been kicking everybody else's butts lately. Let's see I have two choices:

I can live in a high tax, high cost of living city like LA, Boston, NYC and get nothing for all that extra money or I can live in TX where you get lots of bang for your buck. It's pretty much a no-brainer. 90% of these so-called great cities are overtaxed, the houses are way overpriced and the job market sucks. TX has low cost of living, is a lot more business friendly and is creating the most jobs. All these high cost of living places on the west coast and the northeast need to pull their head out of the sand, realize that TX is kicking their butt all over the place and fix their many problems.

Until the governments and the people in these places realize this TX will continue to dominate, be number one and these other places will continue to decline.
Well I think a lot of people admire the cities mentioned because they are viewed in a positive light when it comes to social progressiveness and unfortunately Texas is not.

Old 01-21-2010, 12:48 AM

1,119 posts, read 2,742,732 times
Dallas has a balanced economy. It's also a good place to find a job. However, Dallas needs a thriving downtown.

Old 01-21-2010, 05:59 AM

20,515 posts, read 33,540,106 times
^^ Dallas is doing everything it can do to get a thriving downtown.

Quote:
Well I think a lot of people admire the cities mentioned because they are viewed in a positive light when it comes to social progressiveness and unfortunately Texas is not.

That's starting to change slowly but surely. Many people have changed their minds about Houston over the past election.

Old 01-21-2010, 07:51 AM

965 posts, read 1,885,916 times
Quote:
Anybody that would pick LA over Houston is real foolish. Now let's talk about Boston. It's pretty much the same situation. The city is in a state of decline like much of the northeast is. You get to pay high taxes and pay $650000 for a house that is only worth $200000. There again Boston was much smaller than Houston and didn't have near as much to offer. These are just two examples of why most of these so-called great cities or real cities are a ripoff as compared to Houston. Most of the people that live in these places don't realize how much they're getting screwed because if they did they would pack their bags tonight and be on the road to Texas tomorrow.

Some people prefer being by the beach and having decent weather rather than the unbearable humidity and general ugliness of Houston. I don't understand why people insist on trying to argue about people's personal preferences.

And how much of Boston did you really explore to make such an absurd statement?

Typical Texan arrogance
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City