Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2009, 01:18 PM

3,455 posts, read 8,341,870 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
^^^^I think it is time for a Flint vs. Milwaukee thread. San Antonio won this one before the first reply was ever posted.
Have you ever lived in either city or region? I have. I happen to really like Milwaukee and would hardly characterize it as ghetto or unclean. It has those areas but San Antonio sure does too.

Practically no one lives in San Antonio's downtown area. It has a nice riverwalk but is really suburban.

Milwaukee has great character, great festivals, and is quite diverse with a beautiful lakefront that rivals the riverwalk depending on what you like.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2009, 01:29 PM

7,075 posts, read 12,344,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgb123 View Post
Have you ever lived in either city or region? I have. I happen to really like Milwaukee and would hardly characterize it as ghetto or unclean. It has those areas but San Antonio sure does too.

Practically no one lives in San Antonio's downtown area. It has a nice riverwalk but is really suburban.

Milwaukee has great character, great festivals, and is quite diverse with a beautiful lakefront that rivals the riverwalk depending on what you like.
"Character" is a well known forum synonym for grit, charm, soul, AND GHETTO. Which word is used is totally subjective. You see "Character". I see ghettos. We are probably looking at the same thing no doubt. With that said, Milwaukee indeed has TONS of "Character".

Old 06-23-2009, 01:29 PM

2,943 posts, read 5,072,926 times
Since urbacharlotte (isn't that an oxymoron like jumbo-shrimp?) decided to show such unflattering photos of Milwaukee, I decided to post some photos that are more representative of the city.

Annunciation Greek Orthodox Church (designed by Frank Lloyd Wright)

Basilica of St. Josephat

Discovery World at Pier Wisconsin

East Town Skyline

Historic Third Ward

Lakeshore Skyline

Leon's Frozen Custard

Milwaukee Art Museum Expansion (designed by Santiago Calatrava)

Milwaukee Public Market

Milwaukee Riverwalk

Mitchell Building

Mitchell Park Domes

Oriental Theatre

Summerfest

Tripoli Shrine Temple

Old 06-23-2009, 01:32 PM

actually, no, I don't use character as a synonym for ghetto or dirt. I don't feel the need to a postive spin on things, feel free to check my posts elsewhere. If I thought it was ghetto I would just say so.

Old 06-23-2009, 01:47 PM

1,588 posts, read 4,061,765 times
Quote:
Is this code for 'Milwaukee is ghetto'? Seemed that way to me the last time I was there. This was 6 years ago BTW. Hopefully things have changed. Milwaukee just looked so dirty and ran down. Chicago was actually cleaner. I don't know. Maybe I saw Milwaukee on a bad day or something. I'd have to say Milwaukee was right up there with Flint, Michigan when it comes to looking old and dirty. I hope things have changed in the past 6 years. If not, San Antonio wins hands down.
San Antonio hands down? Not quite.

When I was living in Charlotte I too thought of Milwaukee as ghetto, but those were assumptions that stemmed from what I saw on television or read in the news. Since I've had the chance to actually visit the city, I must say I've been pleased. Milwaukee is much more urban and livelier than the Queen City.

Anyway, I think both San Antonio and Milwaukee are great cities.

Old 06-23-2009, 03:50 PM

2,598 posts, read 4,924,273 times
Quote:
Much of Charlotte is 'ghetto' socially. However, NONE of Charlotte actually looks 'ghetto'. Much of Milwaukee LOOKS ghetto.
Should I attach the article written by the reporter from the LA Times again? It's on page 2 of this thread if you didn't read it. Actually, you could not have read the article, because if you did, you would realize you don't know what you're talking about. If you chose not to read it, you just want to bash Milwaukee, and that would be clear for everyone to see.

Last edited by NowInWI; 06-23-2009 at 04:22 PM..

Old 06-23-2009, 10:52 PM

81 posts, read 218,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjacobeclark View Post
My point was that Milwaukee is more ethnically diverse than San Antonio.

The City of Milwaukee is 40% white, 40% Black and 16% Hispanic. Unlike most cities, many of the white people in Milwaukee have managed to hang on to their ethnic traditions/identity over the decades.

Milwaukee is home to numerous ethnic festivals throughout the summer months.

Polish Fest ~ America's Largest Polish Fest ~ June 19-21, 2009 ~ Milwaukee, WI USA - Home Page

2009 GermanFest - Home

Mexican Fiesta | August 21st, 22nd, 23rd 2009

Festa Italiana - Italian, Festival, Milwaukee, WI

Annunciation Greek Orthodox Church, Milwaukee, Wisconsin - Milwaukee Greek Fest 2009 (http://www.annunciationwi.com/greek_fest.php - broken link)

ArabWorldFest.com | Arab World Fest | August 8, 9, 10 2008

Irish Fest

Africanworldfestival-milwaukee.com

Indian Summer Festival

About Silver City Main Street Milwaukee

- EASTTOWN.COM -

This is quite a list, but you would be mistaken to think San Antonio does not have its share of festivals. Fiesta, Texas Folklife Festival, and the San Antonio Stock Show and Rodeo are just a few of the larger ones, but there are many.

Old 06-23-2009, 10:58 PM

8,289 posts, read 23,105,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by schertz1 View Post
This is quite a list, but you would be mistaken to think San Antonio does not have its share of festivals. Fiesta, Texas Folklife Festival, and the San Antonio Stock Show and Rodeo are just a few of the larger ones, but there are many.
The list he provided is long but it's not all of the festivals we have. there is a festival every weekend from May until the end of august. Many of them are ethnic festivals. Hence the nickname The City Of Festivals.

Old 06-24-2009, 05:41 AM

3,247 posts, read 9,049,618 times
San Antonio is only lacking in skyscrapers

Old 06-24-2009, 07:26 AM

Milwaukee does have awesome festivals....and right on the lake...so nice in the summer time with the breeze. I'm hoping to go home for summerfest, though I hear its getting more crowded every year. Milwaukee fest are always better than chicago ones...more ethnic foods, cooler, nicer location on the lake, usually less crowded.

San Antonio has Fiesta and some other fests too. But definitley Milwaukee is more ethnically diverse. And there is a fest pretty much every weekend!

Its too hot in San Antonio to do that every weekend in the summer even if there was one
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City